Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to give this a try. Another method for keeping your hair inside your helmet.

Experience a TOTALY NEW kind of sports gear

I've been using a french comb for 25 years, but sometimes the ends of the teeth dig into my skin, so I have always been on the lookout for something that works better. Unfortunately I've never found anything that is as easy or effective, so I always go back to the french comb.

This one looks like it might be easy, convenient and consistently painless... we'll see!

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, there could be women who would consider that option! ;)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Should be convenient for robbing banks.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are floral or leopard print headbands popular among bank robbers? :dunno

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I think that might actually drive me nuts- how does one get a helmet on without pulling the headband into the back? I tend to slide it with this forhead back movement to pull all whispys back- let me know if it works for you though- I have no real solutions but I also don't have remotely close to the hair that you have!

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't know until I try it, but I'm guessing it will be about as tricky as not pulling the balaclava down over your eyes with the helmet as you put it on. This could end up being another failure, but it's worth a shot. I hope it works as well as they say.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
hopefully it does!!!

my hair is short enough I take hair to the eyes and it's fucking worse than being stabbed- I am COMPLETELY blind for about 30 seconds- scary as fuck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Are floral or leopard print headbands popular among bank robbers? :dunno
Well they do have it in good ole regular black, which could help ensure the confidence of people who don't want to be judged harshly for feminine accessories while they rob a bank.

Side note, I absolutely love the "Purple and Pink Zag" and regular "Pink" choices. I wonder how well it works at not becoming a tangled mess when you pull the helmet off, as they conveniently cut off their promotional video without showing that. That is one of the two things that annoys me about using bandannas. The bandanna comes off with the helmet and I have hair flying everywhere.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:giggle I saw the black one, but figured if Fabulous was available, why not get that?

It's here! I got it at work, and was standing out in the parking lot next to the truck trying it on the first time. Must have looked like some kind of freak... attempting to put a fishnet stocking lined in leopard print on my head. :lol I'm surprised no one called security.

It is going take a little practice to get a good technique down. My hair is a little too long for it, and I actually have to sort of wad it up and shove it into the netting. I can't just pull it up straight and have it fall in like the video demo. But once it's in there I can get my helmet on without disturbing it too much.

When I pull the helmet off, the Helmet Hed comes comes loose, but not quite all the way off, but that's ok. My hair was a bit of mess afterward, but not too tangled.

I'll have to start carrying a comb in my tank bag. I always used the french comb after I took it out to comb my hair out. Or I guess I could just keep it in there as a backup.

I haven't actually ridden with it yet. Might do that today and see how it does.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Yeah, I feel badly for you ladies. When I had long hair I had the devil's own time with helmets. Of course, you could do a short do and get around it.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jo can pull that off really well but I don't think I could.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
hopefully it does!!!

my hair is short enough I take hair to the eyes and it's fucking worse than being stabbed- I am COMPLETELY blind for about 30 seconds- scary as fuck.
Googles.
I wear these;
Wiley X | Motorcycle Active

They get pricy with prescription lens but not to bad. I have poly-focals, with the inner lens being transitions and the outer mirrored. Fantastic for those bright/dark situations such as driving a country lane with a thin treeline while the sun is setting or rising. You will have to wait until you get there to put your lashes on. At least mine fit that tight.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rode to work and it was pretty chilly so I wore my snowmobile - grade balaclava over the HH. Getting it on was pretty easy, but when I took the balaclava off, the HH, not surprisingly, came off with it. No problem.

I really like the HH so far. It feels a lot better than having a french comb under my helmet. I need to see how it does without a balaclava to hold it in place... though that might not matter anyway as I usually wear a light silk one in warm weather. But I'll wear it alone at least once just for the sake of seeing if it will keep my hair from escaping out the back of my helmet.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Rode the Goldwing the last couple days, pretty comfy to do it. The sport bike will waken from its hibernation soon. Like I said, I do feel for you ladies. Never thought about it before, but long hair does suck when you're riding a bike. Either flies out from under the helmet to give you split ends from hell or wraps up inside it to ruin whatever do you're sporting. I can see why bikes aren't so wildly popular with the fairer sex.

I think you're better off with a thick wool scarf than a balaclava. If your helmet has that much airflow that you need something for your face, what you need is a different helmet. Main concern is keeping your neck warm and keeping the cold air off your chest. Scarf will do that, is loads easier to put on and will likely look way better if you own decent scarfs.

Good luck with the helmet hed, I hope it works out for you. I cut my hair short these days.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been keeping my hair inside my helmet successfully for 25 years with a french comb. The only downside to it is after a few hours it can shift a little and sometimes the teeth will dig into my scalp, so I have to stop and fix it.

Never had any issues with balaclavas. They work well and stay put. A scarf would be really hard to keep in place while you put the helmet on.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've used both a scarf and a balaclava together before, which worked well. I ordered the HH to try out (and thank you acalliste!). Till now I've just used a bandana to keep hair out of my face and let the rest fall freely outside the helmet, which results in a total hair nightmare. Hopefully future rides will end better. :)

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Jo can pull that off really well but I don't think I could.
jaw length is a good length - you can kind of swoop it back and it just stays there- but doesn't have the resulting rats nest of hell from blowing about while you ride.

Googles.
I wear these;
Wiley X | Motorcycle Active

They get pricy with prescription lens but not to bad. I have poly-focals, with the inner lens being transitions and the outer mirrored. Fantastic for those bright/dark situations such as driving a country lane with a thin treeline while the sun is setting or rising. You will have to wait until you get there to put your lashes on. At least mine fit that tight.
interesting- maybe I'll look into them for christmas- it's not a great need- the eye stabbing bit only happens when I raise the visor at any speed above like- 20... and I get hair whipping about at all. I really dislike glasses under my helmets mostly though- gives me a headache from the sides pressing in on my scull.

BUT- I have a sunglass fetish- I love sharp looking glasses- might just "need" a new pair he he he he

·
Registered
273 Posts
So I decided to buy the HH and give it a try. Ordered the pink and purple pattern. It came about a week ago; they sewed it together with the pattern inside out! GRRRR! <sigh> Ah well. Such is life.

So I tried it out the other day and I had one severe issue: the added bulk of the HH and my hair inside my helmet made the helmet incredibly tight, to the point where I had a killer headache in short order.

Acalliste, since you are used to fitting your hair into your helmet with a french comb, I will assume you had no such problem. I've never put my hair inside my helmet before, so I have one basic question (and since I don't know any riders here I have no one else to ask (I hope this doesn't come across as a Jetfalcon-level stupid kind of question)). Since you put your hair inside your helmet, did you go a size b***** on the helmet than a same sized head short hair person would? To accommodate the hair?

My helmet is quite tight enough with my hair out of it. When I started riding I never envisioned having my hair inside the helmet. Maybe I'm a ditz, but I'm trying to decide if I need a b***** helmet or if I should try to get used to it and hopefully it'd eventually stop with the headaches.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts