Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried on a helmet and I'm pretty sure I'm a size medium. My question is that when trying to slide my glasses through the open shield, I was able to worm one finger from the side to my ear to help adjust the glasses to my ear. Is it ok that I was able to flatten my hand against the side of my neck and work a finger or to up to my ear? Hopefully that's not a sign that it's too big. I could fit into a small but it did feel somewhat tight (not really any room to wiggle the helmet). Plus it wasn't pleasant at all getting it on. At first, I didn't even think it would be possible to get it on, but with some determination, I was able to (my ears did hurt getting it on). With a medium, I could wiggle it just a tad, but it doesn't shake freely when I shake my head and doesn't come off when I tuck in my chin and try to push upwards from the back.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Different helmet models (even within one brand) may have different shell shapes and fit different head shapes better or worse. It does sound like that medium might have been too large. A new helmet being put on for the first time is usually a struggle especially if it's your first helmet. The best thing to do is to go back to the shop and try on the small. You have to leave it on your head for at least 15 minutes to give any pressure points time to make themselves known. If it hurts anywhere, it's too small or the wrong shape. This is hard to explain, but some helmet web sites may have diagrams. There are more round head shapes and more oval head shapes and different helmet models fit one shape or the other better.

A helmet should be snugly, but not hurt. If you hold the helmet by the chin bar as tight as you can, there should be very little movement of your head inside the helmet as you try to move your head both up and down and side to side. Try on different makes/models/sizes until you find the "right" one. This will take some time, but most dealers will try to help narrow down the choices. For safety and comfort you really need to spend the time finding a helmet that really fits. Too loose and safety is compromised. Too tight or wrong shape and you'll hate wearing it.

You should be able to slide your glasses in over your ear and down. This will also take some practice. I don't think you should be able to get a finger all the way back next to your ear.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to try on a small for a full 15 minutes. I probably only had it on for a few. So I shouldn't worry about the helmet being a struggle to get on, as long as my ears aren't damaged, etc?
If I recall correctly, the small was very snug...probably borderline tight. But not so tight that I noticed any pain...it was just more of a not so comfortable feeling. Let's just say it did feel good when I took it off though. I would describe the medium as snug yet still comfortable.

I do notice that the advice of salesmen can be very inconsistent. 2 guys told me that I should be a medium. But one guy told me I should be fine in a large, which I really doubt. A large gave barely even gave me the chipmunk cheek effect and I had no problem at all getting it on or off. Felt like I was wearing a paintball mask even, just more enclosed.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
That sounds about right, shamster. Especially if it's your first helmet. You don't want to buy a helmet that's too big--they don't protect half as well

·
Registered
791 Posts
To me it sounds like the Small is your size.

My Experience with my 1st helmet - I tried on XL, L, M. XL felt good. L felt toooo tight and extremely uncomfortable. It was super tight in my cheeks and my head felt tight. Well the courteous/helpful guy at HONDA by triangle Town Center in Raleigh, helped me out. He simply Took out the some of the padding in the cheek area, I put the helmet back on and it was perfect. L is my size. The XL was moved around a bit while on my head, its not suppose to be moving at all.

Try to find a helmet that you think will vent enough for ya, dont be fulled by Shoeii, their price doesnt equal quality.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you go to a good shop, they should be able to help you size your helmet. You might want to check out some of the manuals that come with helmets, they may just contain information about helmet sizing and fitment checks.

As mentioned above, most manufacturers have different lines of helmets depending on your head shape.

Make sure you spend enough time trying on helmets. They really are one of the only 'safety items' that may save your life one day.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Most riders pick a helmet that is too large. Get the smallest, tightest size you can get your head into, without causing a headache. Wear it for awhile before deciding on the right size. Put the chin strap on. You must not be able to rotate the helmet backwards off your head, no matter how hard you try. There should be no side to side play or rotation either. You cheeks should be squeezed firmly and visibly by the helmet cheek pads. The small is probably the correct size. Most folks that thing they take a medium really take a small, and most folks that take a small, really take an extra-small.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I tried the helmets on again, and I think I may go with the medium. The small was starting to feel REALLY tight after a while. Like someone was squeezing my head a bit. Plus I could feel some minor pressure points. Still tolerable for a few minutes, but I don't know how I could take it after wearing it an hour or more.
The medium was snug enough that when I gripped the helmet with both hands and moved it back and forth, the eyebrows and scalp would move with it too. The large would of course move on top of my scalp so that was obviously too big.

I know Arai helmets can be fitted with thicker cheekpads. Can they also be fitted with other optional padding, such as the forehead area?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Did you try on different models of Arai and even different makes? It may be that whatever model you're looking at just doesn't fit your head shape correctly, but a small in a different model would be perfect. It sounds like that medium may be too large up top (made for a round head and yours is longer?).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Arai Signet GTR is what fits me the best. I tried some Shoeis and I think my head is too long for them. The helmet barely clears my ears, as my ears just barely get into the earcup. Most Arais were a little better but I still felt like they were a tad "short". My chin would stick out a little out of most helmets.

If I feel certain spots on my head that are tighter, that's not good right? The medium Signet GTR is what felt the most even all around. I think what also did it was after wearing a small for a while, I would start feeling a tad lightheaded. I know a helmet should be tight but that was starting to get really uncomfortable after a while.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Eyespy said:
Most riders pick a helmet that is too large. Get the smallest, tightest size you can get your head into, without causing a headache. Wear it for awhile before deciding on the right size. Put the chin strap on. You must not be able to rotate the helmet backwards off your head, no matter how hard you try. There should be no side to side play or rotation either. You cheeks should be squeezed firmly and visibly by the helmet cheek pads. The small is probably the correct size. Most folks that thing they take a medium really take a small, and most folks that take a small, really take an extra-small.

Only problem with this and four eyed riders is they tend to be too tight all of the time due to pressing metal into our skulls. I had to get a large due to this after trying on a number of different brands and models. I'm really probably a medium with different pads.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
shamster said:
The Arai Signet GTR is what fits me the best. I tried some Shoeis and I think my head is too long for them. The helmet barely clears my ears, as my ears just barely get into the earcup. Most Arais were a little better but I still felt like they were a tad "short". My chin would stick out a little out of most helmets.

If I feel certain spots on my head that are tighter, that's not good right? The medium Signet GTR is what felt the most even all around. I think what also did it was after wearing a small for a while, I would start feeling a tad lightheaded. I know a helmet should be tight but that was starting to get really uncomfortable after a while.
If a helmet fits perfectly, it will be equally snug (not overly tight) all over. That doesn't happen all the time, but it definitely shouldn't hurt, make you light-headed, or dizzy. It's OK if you chin is down below the chin bar a bit. It will still be protected as it's unlikely that anything will hit it from below. Unless another Arai model fits your head better even with your chin a little below the chin bar, the medium Signet sounds right.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. I thought most helmets should cover your chin too.

Anyhow, another thing I recall is that some model helmets feel like someone is pushing down on the top of my head. Not a feeling I really liked. The Signet was the helmet that felt the most even all around.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I just bought a helmet online at www.ridegear.com. I used their instructions on how to properly measure your head for the helemt.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I thought I was a medium and when I first put my brand new medium helmet on it was snugg and felt good. After a month or so the helmet form fit to my head and got much looser. I then went with a small that seemed a bit tight and after wearing it a week or so it loosened up. I wear sunglasses under my lid and they barely fit and I cannot get my finder in anywhere to adjust glasses. That medium sounds loose. Give it time and if it gets too loose then you'll need a small. My biggest problem when it loosened up was turning my head while moving fast. The helmet would shift a tiny bit making it a little harder to see. It didn't turn much but when I wore the small it didn't move like that and boy was that nice. I now have a small Shoei and a Small KBC.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, I was able to worm a finger in on the side to adjust my glasses on the small too. There's of course no way in hell I could be an extra small. So I guess that finger test isn't a good one.

Anyhow, I'm not sure I can tolerate a small for an hour. Any small I tried gave me uneven pressure in various spots (some on the sides and some right on the top of my head). I know with Arai, you can get thicker linings, so if I find that the medium loosens up too much, maybe I can get a thicker lining. I did shake my head vigorously again with the medium this past weekend. I could feel a very slight wiggle if I shook hard enough but not enough to really shift it at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts