Sport Bikes banner

Helmet usage = Acne?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I haven't hade any acne problems in the longest time nor have I really given it much thought. I'm in my early 20's, and after taking the MSF (finally), I noticed that I broke out on my forehead pretty badly.

I found this very strange and was wondering if there was any correlation between acne and helmet usage. Furthermore, are there any remedies?

And how often should I be washing my liner?

And I'll just throw in a poll for the hell of it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
would only make sense if your helmet is filthy....maybe it was stress,from the MSF? i've never had an issue with acne personally,but some friends did/do,and they say thats the kinda things that set it off...i dunno

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would only make sense if your helmet is filthy....maybe it was stress,from the MSF? i've never had an issue with acne personally,but some friends did/do,and they say thats the kinda things that set it off...i dunno
Hard to believe that my helmet would be dirty since I just got it 3 months ago. But I did put it on the floor a good amount of times... hmm. crap.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hard to believe that my helmet would be dirty since I just got it 3 months ago. But I did put it on the floor a good amount of times... hmm. crap.
Sitting around during the MSF probably helped to accelerate it if you were wearing it without moving much for a long period of time.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
In the summer months I live with either a helmet or a hat on. I develop a bit of acne every once in awhile in the upper corners of my forhead because of it. A lot of bacteria, lack of airflow, and moisture sure will do it.

I have to wash my MX helmet liners constantly in the summer, and often go ahead and do my street lid's pads while I'm at it.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
It's also a good idea to have two helmets and alternate them every other day to let them dry out for at least a day between uses.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I have never washed my liner in two years and have never had a problem with acne where it touches my face.

I have much tougher skin than average, though. My girlfriend bought an extra liner for her helmet so she could have one that is clean to swap in at any given time.

She's got some annoying allergies, though.

I HAVE heard some people having problems with acne due to helmets, though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When you wash it you have to sanitize (or disinfect) it. Remember, acne is caused by bacteria entering the pores and people with oily skin are prone to acne too. When you wash it do not only use soap use alcohol, Lysol, etc. to kill the bacteria that are in your liner. I have a similar problem too. If it smells a little funky, it is time to clean it.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
if you are trying to justify not wearing a helmet, no relation, but if you are a greasy SOB, clean you liner.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you are trying to justify not wearing a helmet, no relation, but if you are a greasy SOB, clean you liner.
I'm neither! I'm actually pretty clean, but I think I found the culprit since my acne is completely gone now. I think it may be from me wearing hair gel and having to put on my helmet the other day. Silly mistake on my behalf.

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
I think that the majority of it comes from the air.

My face is always super dirty after I go for a ride. I believe it is because my face sweats, it travels through getting a lot of contact with a lot of air, and collects dirt because of the sweat.

Yall should try using one of those little pre-soaked cotton face pads after a ride. Mine are always brown.....even if I clean my face before the ride.

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
That's why I wear a balaclava 90% of the time. I don't have to wash the liner as often, maybe a few times every season.

·
Gianticus Squidicus
2,831 Posts
Sitting still with a helmet on I would think would aggravate any acne problems as there is no air flowing through the helmet.

Thus the MSF=sitting still for long periods and the stress of not f'ing up=Zits.

I'm usually wrong though.

Doesn't Muller sports or someone make a anti-bac spray that you can disinfect your football pads with that is safe against your skin? We used to use it on football pads and wrestling mats when I was in High School. Can't remember the name of it though.

(edit) this is all I could find, it's called Whizzer, ha. Don't think it's the same stuff that I remember though.

Mueller Sports Medicine >> Whizzer >> Why Whizzer?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts