Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've always wanted a motorcycle and now that Im a little older I was hoping to purchase one this summer. But before I decide on purchasing one, I was thinking about taking a class. IDK if anyone heard about Evergreen Motorcycle Safety, but its a class where you can learn the basics without having a license or a bike.
If it goes well I'll probably get a bike.

I've been doing some research and it seems like the best power range to get for a beginner is either a 250-600cc. I was wondering what bikes you guys recommend and another advice would be much appreciated. I was thinking about getting a Ducati 1199 but I'm pretty sure thats out of my league for now... But I really do love ducati's... :(

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Look for a well-used Ninja 250, Ninja 500, or SV-650. Ride it for a few months, then sell it for (essentially) the same price and buy the bike of your dreams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hear ya. Ive been on two wheels for 15 years. On the road for a few. Looking for my first "sport bike" now. Im looking at an 06' ninja500 today or tomorrow.

Many people recommend the sv650 as a first and one you'll hold on to even if you upgrade. Ive noticed this across several forums. Im highly beginning to consider one (I was sold on a I4 bike, but idk now. I dont really care about breaking 130mph, just cruising at 70-80 nicely).

I know about as much as you though as far as road bikes go. Im gonna watch this thread and see what answers come up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually looking into the new Ninja 300, or a FZ6R. I also saw a Sv650 today and it actually looked pretty nice. I've also been reading, and people have been saying that a used R6 would be a good bike to start, but start slowly.
This might be random, but I've always wondered how bikers keep cool riding during hot weather with all the gear on, is there a wearable cooling system that people use?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
bandana socked with water around my neck, movement, buying small drinks every time i need to fill up on gas, and this might sound weird but "posting" up and down like i would on a trotting horse-(it keeps my legs and butt from tireing out, gets air moving around my butt to help with my sweaty ass, and helps keep energy up on a long ride)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see haha, I was hoping they had some sort of water cooled suit. I know they've been experimenting with those for football players, but I cant seem to find any for motorcycle gear.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
An R6 is a crappy first bike, as is any other 600 or liter bike.

Once you're moving it's not really that hot. You're too busy having fun to notice it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Go with the 500, you get some comfortable speed and it isn't as small.
I raced aprila 150s, then moved up to a 250. Had it for about 3 months and said screw it. Now Im grabbing a 600 when I get back.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
An R6 is a horrible choice for an inexperienced rider. Even the 650 twins are a bit much for a complete noob. The 600s, while technically lower in CCs are MUCH more powerful, due to the engine configuration (Inline Four). They make roughly double the HP of the 650 twins.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
An R6 is a horrible choice for an inexperienced rider. Even the 650 twins are a bit much for a complete noob. The 600s, while technically lower in CCs are MUCH more powerful, due to the engine configuration (Inline Four). They make roughly double the HP of the 650 twins.
all in the top end, where noobs rarely go, and the engine very well lets you know by its sound volume that you need to hold on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been reading all the stickies in this forum for newbies, and I think I might go with a Kawasaki 300. Not the bike of my dreams, but I think it's a good start. My goal is not to just go fast in a straight line, but I want to learn how to corner really well. From what i've read, a lot of people say that after a few months you'll get tired of a 250cc bike and want to move up. I'm just worried that if I do get a small displacement bike I'll get tired of it after a few months. The idea of getting another bike later, like a 600ss seems like I'm just wasting money. If I'm going to purchase a bike I want it to be a good investment. Right now I'm stuck with either getting a bike or a GTR, I know they're in completely different categories, but overall I'm looking for a bike/car that I can eventually take to the track, or do some hill runs in.

What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The more I ride, the more cars bore me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
haha really? How does a 545 hp, 0-60 < 3s car bore you?
I currently own a 550 hp M5, and I always get excited when
I'm about to drive it, even if im just getting groceries. Then
again I've never been on a bike so I have no idea what the
experience is like, but hopefully I'll find out soon :)

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
haha really? How does a 545 hp, 0-60 < 3s car bore you?
I currently own a 550 hp M5, and I always get excited when
I'm about to drive it, even if im just getting groceries. Then
again I've never been on a bike so I have no idea what the
experience is like, but hopefully I'll find out soon :)
Completely different feelings. Cars are still fun but its a different way of fun.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 54 Posts