Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, brand spanking new rider. I've finally got my stuff straight at 19 enough that I can afford to move out... Which also means I'm buying my first bike. Wasn't allowed ever before, so it's pretty exciting for me.
It's going to be my primary mode of transportation, which will suck this summer, but hey...
It looks like tomorrow will be the day I pick a bike up. He dropped it off at my mechanic and everything cleared. It's a '06 Ninja 650r for 2,400 with 30k miles (I know 650 isn't the best choice, but I commute about 600 miles a week on the freeway).
Anyways, that should be it! Excited to be on this forum, I've been lurking for a while, just never joined.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good luck, wear that gear & take the safety course. The 650 is a nice bike, perhaps not an ideal starter bike but something u won't outgrow in a year either. Congrats & welcome to the forum. Oh & post pics.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Ill be moving out to phoenix (scottsdale) in august. Looking to meet riders out there and hit some of the good roads out that way! Ill subscribe to this thread and keep you in mind. I ride a zzr600 with few years experience.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I used to live in Phoenix, the Ahwatukee area. When you get a little experience, go ride up South Mountain, Tortilla Flat out past Apache Junction is great riding too. Just go early before it gets crowded.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: REast

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Promised pics!

Bought her today. Ended up with a different '06 (the last one forgot to mention that it was a salvage title), with 35k on it from the family of the original owner, who passed away last week from a sudden heart attack.
Feel free to hit me up this summer, REast! I'm more towards central phx, but I'm always done for a Scottsdale trip... Or up to Wickenburg for Yarnell hill. Only sad thing about moving is that I'll be more than the ten minutes I currently am from the hill.
Forgot to post that I had bought gear already. Jacket, gloves, helmet, waiting on my boots to ship.
I'm actually a paramedic student, so I'm pretty familiar with what no gear does to a human body (i.e. make it the consistency of jello) :whistle
Safety course is this coming thurs/ sat/ sun. All set to go already.
Edit: Also, yes I know the stickers have to go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Will hit you up when i get out there. Im a physical therapist (sports) so i get to rehab some of the riders in the aftermath of a wreck, so yeah, full gear for me as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man this thing is a blast! Never rode a bike in my life, so this is all new to me.
Been practicing in a parking lot the past 2 days. I got sent to the gas station tonight for beer pong balls and decided Id try to ride on the main roads.
Traffic made a huge difference... My clutch control flew out the window, because I was too nervous. Couldn't even get going at the light without stalling like 3x.
Maybe some more practice time... Haha

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I used to live in Phoenix, the Ahwatukee area. When you get a little experience, go ride up South Mountain, Tortilla Flat out past Apache Junction is great riding too. Just go early before it gets crowded.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Took the wrx out to tortilla flat last weekend and had a great drive, amazing scenery. Will be heading out there again asap on the bike. South mountain was closed due the recent flooding etc so hoping to get out to that before all the snow birds clog it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
practice, practice, and practice some more!
Go to big, empty parking lots, and practice your turns, figure eights, front braking, balance, etc.
Head out US60 to Globe, then up to Show Low, then back down 260 to Payson, and back down to Snottsdale. A great loop to take for a full days ride, and tons of experience to be gained from lots of technical curves, hills, and various traffic.
riding in the city is seriously dangerous. I've never seen so many ignorant drivers as when I lived in Glendale. Commuting sucked. I was never so happy as when my company transferred me to Albuquerque!
4 mild seasons, and a 10,000' mountain full of curves in my back yard.

Here is a "local" ride you might enjoy, and can possibly give you more experience:
Buell Forum: 10th Annual Arizona SpringFast ride
(There is a group from Phoenix heading up that Friday morning)

Just get out there and practice as often as you can, and remember,
ALWAYS ride WITHIN your abilities!!

Enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts