Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, my name's Cody, and I'm a 21 year old prospective rider from Oregon. I've wanted a bike for a few years, ever since my buddy bought a ninja 650r. However, I was turned off of actually making a purchase when he wrecked into a car and almost killed himself. I ended up spending money that I was going to use for a bike and gear to build a car instead. I'm running out of things to spend money on for my car, and am really interested in finally buying a bike, something I'll most likely do this coming winter when they're cheaper.

I'm deadest on owning a sport bike of some sort, something that will be cheap and easy to ride, and very forgiving for a novice rider. I am pretty much set on spending under $2000 also, since I will probably drop it/lay it down at some point. It seems like a 2005 ish Ninja 250 would be my best bet. I'm slightly worried about it not feeling fast enough in a straight line, since I'm used to my 450whp car, but I would rather start off easy and upgrade when I'm ready.

I most likely won't be a hugely active member here, and will do a lot ore reading than posting, but I figured I would make an introduction. I look forward to learning what I can here and hopefully getting to know people on the SBN forums. Feel free to chip in with and pointers that might be useful to a complete and total newb to the sport :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely plan on taking the msf basic course this fall before I get my endorsement. I'm actually hoping for some rain. Rather learn to deal with that when an instructor is there to help than deal with it on my own.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The 250 or 500 are both safe bets, but i do feel the 250 is a bit too slow getting moving, dpending on your environment. When I first got my girlfriend into riding I bought her an 08 250 and we found that the detroit traffic was faster than her bike, unless you really wring its neck, which she wouldn't do. I found that a little unnerving, I saw it as her being vounerable during those frantic rush hours. She did stick with the 250 though for a couple years, which I did modify a bit, exhaust and jet kit, (don't expect much) and gearing change (1 up in front, 2 down in back, not the other way) taller windshield, etc and eventually she graduated to a Yamaha FZ6. If you won't have anxious drivers up your ass all the time, I'd get the 250, but if you're a b***** guy and you could use just a bit more torque get the 500. You should recover your money regardless when you're ready to move up, they're wildly popular bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome... Make sure to be a educated before getting or riding any sort of bike. Next would be getting the best protective gear to make you safe.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
A used 250 or 500 would be perfect. Remember, it's your first bike, not your last. Buy it in the winter, ride it for a season, then sell it for what you paid. Cheap to insure and easy to work on. Don't skimp on gear! Unless you really want some sweet skin grafts and compound breaks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts