Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Im an English rider and ive just discovered your forum and it looks good.
I was wondering about the state of US biking, in the UK things arn't going so well. The PC culture is in overdrive and it looks like bikes are the next target. Already the country is litered with speed cameras and the police are targeting loud pipes and tinted visors.
Are tinted/iridium visors illegal in the US?
The current goverment are also on some fantasy mission to eliminate deaths from road accidents (impossible) and bikes are now seen as the main culprits.
Trackdays are now my main form of riding but they are very expensive here compared to European circuits averaging around £150-£200 a day ( i guess about $300 US).
How much do you pay in the US?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Some places do have laws against tinted visors and pretty much most places have laws against loud pipes, it's just certain places will enforce those laws more than others.

Around my area we don't have many speed cameras we have some cameras at intersections and a lot of police around that don't really go out looking for motorcycles to cause trouble, because chances are most of the riders around here are going to break a law and the cops will just react to that.

You see articles about people bitching and complaining about motorcycles about the trouble they cause, hopefully it won't get to the point where they are trying to ban them.

I am not sure of the price of the trackday around here, the only thing I know is that the track nearest me is not very safe for motorcycles and there have been a lot of deaths on that track. So I am hesitant about riding it.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
around here the tinted visors aren't illegal. neither is the D&D pipes. We have a couple of tracks in the pretty near vicinity to us, ranging in price from 40.00 (w/a club membership) to 175.00 for a sponsored event. The tracks are pretty safe and the cops around here are ok. I can't complain too much about them. We do have speed cameras at interesections, but that is about all. we do get some journalists that are a bit overzealous in their attempt to warn the public about our unsavory ways, but overall, America in general I don't believe is going to go after us like your government has done to you. I could be wrong and I'm sure at some point things will change, but at the moment, that is how it is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Things here in Texas kind of run with the tides. Sometimes we have a lot of bad press and we have to go underground so to speak. I very rarely hear of anyone getting pulled over for loud pipes and never for tinted visors. The only time sportbikes really get harassed is when we find places to stunt and the police catch on and kick everyone out. Most sportbikers don't realize it but there is a large group that lobbies our government for better protection while we are on our bikes. That group is most composed of Harley riders, but they are trying to make it better for all riders here! Watch this site and you will start to see the reasons why! There are posts all the time about a motorist who runs over a motorcyclist and get off with a couple tickets that will cost $500 or so. That is the most heinous thing we face here at the moment. That's how I see it anyhow! Welcome from across the pond!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Welcome to the site, good to see some more variety over here!

That sucks about the new rules/laws imposed on you. Unfortunately, if it makes a big enough difference in the UK, I'm sure the US will implement something similar to try and mimick the results.

In Houston, TX, loud pipes and a tinted visor haven't been any trouble for me, but I don't ride much in the city, too crazy for me!

·
Registered
522 Posts
You guys don't have a lobby group like the AMA to protect riders rights? If thats the case, that sucks. Trackdays here in Arizona go for about $95 -$150 I believe, which really isn't bad, but when you compare it to places like the Malaysian Sepang F1 track it's expensive (~$30 for a full track day b/c it's funded by Malay gov).

·
Believe It or Not........
5,339 Posts
In Florida tinted visors are only illegal at night! Loud pipes are a no-no but it's up to the cop to enforce that one. If you're not revving it up u won't get dicked with.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
never caught any flak about my visor, i can get trackdays for around 150-180 here in north texas/oklahoma

sucks about the situation yall got in the uk with motorcycles. iirc, has/was china outlawed bikes cause of some crap reason like most criminals were using em as getaway vehicles?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The general perception most people have of riders here sucks (West FL). Tons of squids and even more mid-life crisis harley riders.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Why are they cracking down on visors, etc? I've heard stories about how crazy guys in the UK ride. Maybe we'll be facing laws like that eventually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone. Im not really suprised your tracks are so cheap, only the British are happy to be ripped off while everyone else pays less.
Mercutio80, Why are they cracking down on visors? Pure European beurocratic nonsense that's why. Its ok to wear sunglasses under a lid but not a tinted visor, try and work that out.

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Never once have I been harassed about my tinted visor. The police have b***** fish to fry I guess. Loud pipes? That depends. More Harley guys make noise with their pipes than sportbikes. I guess you would have to do it in front of the police for them to actually give you a ticket for it. I have never heard of it happening to anyone I ride with.

Track days? That is a tough one. Not too many around for me. The nearest one is 2 hours away (Pocono Racetrack). Track days are usually organized by riding clubs. I believe they are like $175 per day, if you are a member of the club (plus paying the annual club dues).

Stone

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
its not bad here the cops dont bother us. the tinted visiors are ok as long as your not wearing them after dark. Track days are $40.00 on average. And welocme to the site

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like you guys need the AMA of the UK. I guess an UKMA to fight for your rights. I've been reading about the speed cameras and such. Someone really needs to fight for motorcyclist rights.

For £200 you could go to France or something, couldn't you? Break some laws in another country!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Danny_Two said:
Hello all. Im an English rider and ive just discovered your forum and it looks good.
I was wondering about the state of US biking, in the UK things arn't going so well. The PC culture is in overdrive and it looks like bikes are the next target. Already the country is litered with speed cameras and the police are targeting loud pipes and tinted visors.
Are tinted/iridium visors illegal in the US?
The current goverment are also on some fantasy mission to eliminate deaths from road accidents (impossible) and bikes are now seen as the main culprits.
Trackdays are now my main form of riding but they are very expensive here compared to European circuits averaging around £150-£200 a day ( i guess about $300 US).
How much do you pay in the US?

The smaller tracks here are about $99~$200, b***** tracks like Laguna Seca are about $335~$375/day.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The biggest problem we have is insuring motorcycles because so many people buy expensive new bikes with no previous experience and wad them up. Tinted visors are illegal at night, IIRC, but I've yet to be hassled over it. I find it to be more of a PITA to wear one at night anyway, but I often get caught out with it.

Cops aren't bad, but there are places where they're turning up the heat due to recurring incidents. Never gotten grief over my pipe, but there's always the dickhead cop who'll write you for anything non-factory.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Danny_Two said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Im not really suprised your tracks are so cheap, only the British are happy to be ripped off while everyone else pays less.
Mercutio80, Why are they cracking down on visors? Pure European beurocratic nonsense that's why. Its ok to wear sunglasses under a lid but not a tinted visor, try and work that out.
Hey Danny, I go to England all the time since most of my family lives there.. Anyway, I was talking to my uncle about those speed cameras, and I noticed all of them were maked by signs above the road letting your know where they are..

Why not just rig your licence plate so that it flips up, so it is out of view? I know a guy in Florida who did this, cause he got in trouble for stunting in a parkinglot with security cameras.. He rigged his licence plate up to a couple of hinges, and somehow using a small motor wired to the battery, his licence plate flips up quickly out of view by pressing one button, and flips back down just as quick by pressing another.

You can't tell it's on there without lifting up the passenger seat, and it detaches itself pretty quick when he gets his bike inspected.

Probably really illegal, but might be worth it if you're getting a ton of tickets :headbang

·
Registered
36 Posts
i had never heard of anyone having legal trouble over a tinted visor before i began reading this message board. i guess because i live in kentucky where they dont even inspect bikes and they dont even have helmet laws here. I think visor laws are ridiculous, because the sun blinds me if i dont wear a tinted visor, which causes a dangerous situation. i hate it when people have nothing better to do than cause problems for motorcyclist or anyone else

1 - 18 of 18 Posts