Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a little over 1 day I'll be spending 12 hours with LifeEvac. They fly an EC-135 as the main helicoptor, and a BK-117 as a backup.

They are run by VCU Medical College of Virginia. It's gonna be AWESOME. I've sat in tons of helicoptors, flown on planes, but never flown in a helicoptor.

I used to go to school for aerospace engineering, but I changed my mind to become a Flight Nurse so now I'm in a nursing program. It'll take about 7-8 years...but I'll get there eventually.

I'm taking my camera along, so I'll post pictures when I get back. :)

I'm attaching some pictures I took today of the EC-135 I'll be flying on.

And just for fun...a picture I took heading towards Atlanta-Hartsfield from Williamsburg International.

·
Banned
245 Posts
I was able to get a ride on a hughy(sp) its the same chopper that you see in Baywatch.

It wasn't a long ride, but it was a kewl experience.

Good luck with your career. Both can be stressful. Engineers not the easiest thing and nursings not the easiest either but knowledge is important. But i can see where sitting at a desk all day can be a drag.

Thats why i chose to do more then one degree.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, not EVERYONE that's a patient in there is in bad shape. Sometimes, after a really bad accident, the rescue crews over-react and call for a helicoptor because they think they patient is in really bad shape. Sometimes nothing is wrong except for a broken bone here and there. I remember one time I picked up the LifeEvac crew and their patient from the secondary landing pad at MCV. The patient was involved in an ATV accident. The guy had some scrapes and that's it. NOTHING was wrong.

So just because you're in the back doesn't mean you're screwed. MOST of the time it does...but sometimes the rescue crews are just making a very big, costly mistake.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Congrats... I have so much respect for what you guys and gals do, and the fact that the paid dosent reflect what you do, just stinks You risk your lives for us everyday, to save our lives. Thank You!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I would love to work for the med-flight that we have here. Enjoy your time in the air!

Around here most of the time when there is a med-flight call it's usually pretty serious or it's with an EMS service that doesn't get a whole lot of emergency work so the call is a huge emergency to them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Less than 12 hours! I'm as excited right now as I was when I was 5 years old on Christmas Eve. This is gonna be one of the coolest days of my life!

I've been on 2 calls where the MedFlight chopper was called in. The first was a car accident where a Miada ran a stopsign and a Jeep t-boned it. Never saw the patients so I don't know how bad it was. The second was a 18 month old child in a van struck by a truck (drunk driver ran red light). VERY little damage to the van, but what little damage/energy inflicted onto the van went right into the child seat leaning against the left side of the van. The child died 2 days later. :(

In my area we're usually very close to MCV, the lvl 1 trauma center. So if it's not REALLY REALLY bad, then we don't call. The more distant from the lvl 1 trauma center you are, the less strict the rules are on whether or not to call for med-flight.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yeah we have like 5 level 1 trauma centers all within miles of each other and in our service area the furthest level 1 trauma furthest away from a trauma center we are is going to be 10 miles at the most.

I had a ETOH pt that jumped out of the 3rd floor window of his apartment and landed on his head. He had been outside for 3 1/2 hours before anyone found him and he had agonal respirations with periods of apnea. blood from the ears, pupils were fully-blown. so we did what we were supposed to by protocol, medics did what they had to do also and went to the hospital.

Later he ended up dying he had so much pressure built up inside of his skull from intracranial bleeding that when they went to drain it out his brain popped right out his head.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotta love the ETOH patients...ugh. You know, if it wasn't for them while I was working at Richmond Ambulance, I would've gotten an A in chemistry class. But noooooooooo, they just HAAAD to drink and HAAAAD to fall on their faces, get in fights, pass out, etc...ugh. ETOH = UGH.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yeah it's actually pretty funny that ETOH one of the many things that contribute to my job security.

The best is when you go to an MVA and you ask the driver that absolutely reeks of booze "have you been drinking at all tonight?" And then you just wait for them to say no because nobody will confess to getting into an accident while being drunk.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IllKneeGrow - Yeah, we certainly will ALWAYS have job security. Have you been drinking tonight? "No sir, not at all!" Ok...have you been drinking tonight? "Well, I had one beer, but that was earlier." Ok...what did you have, how much, and when? "Well, see, me and my buddies went out and we had some drinks, you know? We had some 40s, a couple of bottles, some cans, you know. That was about an hour ago."

Yeah...with a little prying we've often had our ETOHers confess. Of course, it's never that clean cut. You know...the slurring, puking, forgetting what they were saying in the middle of their sentence...

Good clean fun. :)

750rider: Thanks! :D

2.5 hours until I'm at the airport! 1.5 until I leave!

·
I ♥ ♀
2,764 Posts
Well, today is 7/16/04. Hope its a great flight day for ya. I have been in almost every kind of aircraft, from a single engine to the 747. The helicoptor is the only one I have not been in. One day though.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Hope you are enjoying your time in the air, I definitely want to hear all about it. I too would love to become a med-flight nurse, and I just might somewhere down the road.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I'm friends with several Flight Nurses back in the states that I worked with on numerous calls. I have the utmost respect for them and what they do, good career choice. Hell in a few years when I'm out of the military and got my EMT-P certification I might see ya out there! Have fun!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We didn't get a single friggin call. I never left the ground. I get to try another day, though. They've flown at least 2 calls every day so far in 2004. We didn't get a single one.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Oh man what a let down.

Yeah that was like my time in a level 1 trauma hospital we have around here. I did an overnight on a friday night because I heard how many good calls they get. I did my time and we didnt get a chance to see them in action in the trauma rooms.

A couple of friends told me about the time they had in there with a guy with 8 gunshot wounds, someone that had drowned, multiple stabbings. And there I was with not a damn thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Wife and I both worked for the UVA Medical Center in purchasing. our department handled alot of the replacment parts for Pegasus.

Pegasus is UVA's lifeflight Helicopter.

Very cool deal, costs a fortune to operate too.

both pilots were Nam vets and could do amazing things with that helo.

oh yea UVA = Univeristy of Virginia

1 - 20 of 22 Posts