Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard a pop, lost power, and ran and sounded like half the header blew off. diagnosed it to a stripped out spark plug. did research on helicoils and seems that would fix my problem....but how hard of a job would it be for a do-it-yourselfer? curently i have the tank, airbox, and carbs off the bike. is it necessary to pull engine? well any info would be greatly appreciated. thanx alot

Dennis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Putting a helicoil in is easy to do with a good quality kit, but, if you have anything left for threads in the hole, I would try running a rethreading tool down the hole first. Just make sure you have a straight shot at the hole as any angle deviation will make things worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MAKE SURE THE VALVES ARE CLOSED!!! Don't ask how I know but I did this once. Put some nice threads on a valve. After that I pulled the head since it was easier and I could make sure there were no aluminum chips in the combustion chamber after I was done drilling and tapping the head. Also make sure you get the tang off of the heli-coil. If I were you I would get a new head gasket and pull the head. Besides while you are in there you can always lap the valve's.
But I have heard that you can coat the drill with wheel bearing grease and drill slowly. Same thing for the tap. The theory in that is that the grease will soak up any chips. I hate theories and like to go for fact's. PULL THE HEAD!!!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
PULL THE HEAD!!

There's no sense going to all the trouble of helicoiling the plug hole if you're gonna trash an engine by putting a bunch of metal shavings inside.

I probably wouldn't even try the rethreading tool. If you blew a plug out of a good hole to begin with, having a cleaned up half set of threads won't last you very long.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
If you coat the tools with grease, changing it a few times during the cut, and you blow out the cylinder with air afterwards, there is little chance of leaving a chip in there. If you do leave one, there is every chance it will just blow out the exhaust without causing any damage.

That said, removing the head is better and safer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, new here... newbie to my bike, but not bikes in general.

I have this problem on my cbr600f. any idea where i could download a factory service manual? I would like to do it right the first time. Any tips on pulling the head off? I know to take lots of pictures, mark the cams, etc etc, but any specific details/tips would be appreciated!

I also found a company Timesert that has sparkplug hole repair kits, anyone have any ideas on these?

Also, would it be easier to put a different engine in the bike? Possibly a better engine? the one in it should be fine other than this problem, i'm just trying to keep my options open.

Also a list of fluids i will need for this process would be nice.

thanks everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts