Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hands froze last night, first long ride, and I became very jealous of my mans heated grips. Does anyone have recommendations on brands of aftermarket heated grips?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have read about using the kits for 4-wheeler grips are cheap and easy, not sure on how long they will last. Have also read a few negative comments on an FJR site about Yamaha's brand not lasting very long either -especially for the price.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
04Fizzer said:
Gloves are cheaper.
I have very nice gloves but I also have Raynauds disease and my hands get cold and even frost bitten very easily. So I was hoping to heat my grips rather than having to wear two pairs of gloves... I am afraid I won't have as good control with two pairs of gloves.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
I have very nice gloves but I also have Raynauds disease and my hands get cold and even frost bitten very easily. So I was hoping to heat my grips rather than having to wear two pairs of gloves... I am afraid I won't have as good control with two pairs of gloves.
I hear ya.
Heated grips will more than likely work for you, but you might find that the back side of your fingers get cold. I've seen people use off-road hand protectors to deflect the wind and help keep the digits a little warmer. Also, try a liner pair of silk gloves inside the gloves you're already wearing. You may find that it's all you need.

I swear, I'm not trying to be a smartass.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wind deflectors sounds great! I've warn silk liner socks for hiking and I always felt smooshed but perhaps deflectors and heated grips would be enough...

As for smart arses... I live with one so I'm well inoculated ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
Wind deflectors sounds great! I've warn silk liner socks for hiking and I always felt smooshed but perhaps deflectors and heated grips would be enough...

As for smart arses... I live with one so I'm well inoculated ;)
Do a google search for "Dual-Star heated grips". I have these on my FJR and the wife's FZ6. You'll love them. Cheap and easy. I've wired mine through a relay so I can't leave them on and drain the battery. With relay, heated elements, and various connectors you'll have less than $50 in the whole setup.

See the little wire coming out from between the throttle grip and the switch gear housing? That's the wire from the heated grip.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My brother has Raynauds & he put heated grips on last year & no more cold hands & we rode in some cold weather. We live outside Buffalo. He has a harley brand so I can't pass that on but it is an investment that will pay off bigtime for you!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Len said:
My brother has Raynauds & he put heated grips on last year & no more cold hands & we rode in some cold weather. We live outside Buffalo. He has a harley brand so I can't pass that on but it is an investment that will pay off bigtime for you!
This is off topic, but I'm in Rochester. If you're interested in getting together for a ride some time, let me know.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
04Fizzer said:
This is off topic, but I'm in Rochester. If you're interested in getting together for a ride some time, let me know.

Rochester = Cold Hands = Heated Grips

Still on topic :eek:nfloor

Couldn't resist

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Hippie said:
Rochester = Cold Hands = Heated Grips

Still on topic :eek:nfloor

Couldn't resist
I've actually resorted to wearing winter glovers when riding in the fall. They work pretty well.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I'm an expert on the cold hand thing and I have spent over $1000 since l've been in alaska looking for away to keep my hands warm in the spring and fall.

I found these detatchable grips in this link early this spring and I've been in temps as low as 10* and my hands stayed warm.I'll be installing the others this summer since I now know that they will work.

Hookups :: Insulation :: Aerostich / RiderWearHouse
http://www.aerostich.com/home.php?cat=285&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=2

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
alaska cajun said:
I'm an expert on the cold hand thing and I have spent over $1000 since l've been in alaska looking for away to keep my hands warm in the spring and fall.

I found these detatchable grips in this link early this spring and I've been in temps as low as 10* and my hands stayed warm.I'll be installing the others this summer since I now know that they will work.

Hookups :: Insulation :: Aerostich / RiderWearHouse
http://www.aerostich.com/home.php?cat=285&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=2
I've seen what look like mitts that stay attached to the bars. I wonder if a combination of those and heated grips would work for you.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
04Fizzer said:
I've seen what look like mitts that stay attached to the bars. I wonder if a combination of those and heated grips would work for you.

I've got some winter Olimpia gloves and the heated grips seem to working fine so far.Some mornings it's still in the low 30's when I leave and it's about a 40 mile trip.

One of the things that cause one's hands to get cold is sweat,then the air blowing through the glove makes then want to freez.So I also coat my gloves with SnoSeal(bee's wax)to help seal them.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I use Hot Grips brand and am very happy with them. Check Ebay for them.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
alaska cajun said:
I've got some winter Olimpia gloves and the heated grips seem to working fine so far.Some mornings it's still in the low 30's when I leave and it's about a 40 mile trip.

One of the things that cause one's hands to get cold is sweat,then the air blowing through the glove makes then want to freez.So I also coat my gloves with SnoSeal(bee's wax)to help seal them.
I've actually heard of people using latex gloves (from their first-aid kit) as an emergency liner.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
04Fizzer said:
I've actually heard of people using latex gloves (from their first-aid kit) as an emergency liner.
That makes my hands sweat even more.Other than the fact that I'm a construction worker and my hands have been beaten through the years,my hands sweat really bad with gloves on.That's why I seal them with SnoSeal,to help keep the wind out.

I really have spent well over a $1000 on different types of gloves to combat this problem.My best solution yet is the heated grips and sealing the gloves.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
alaska cajun said:
That makes my hands sweat even more.Other than the fact that I'm a construction worker and my hands have been beaten through the years,my hands sweat really bad with gloves on.That's why I seal them with SnoSeal,to help keep the wind out.

I really have spent well over a $1000 on different types of gloves to combat this problem.My best solution yet is the heated grips and sealing the gloves.
That's the idea with the latex gloves (in a pinch). It keeps the moisture from you rhands separate from the wind. But you wear them as a liner, not an individual glove.

·
Registered
419 Posts
How bout wearing the latex over the glove? It has worked for me in the past...........wait a minute! Im in a tropical island! I dont need heated grips!

Scratch that idea boys (and gals:))
:lol

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
04Fizzer said:
That's the idea with the latex gloves (in a pinch). It keeps the moisture from you rhands separate from the wind. But you wear them as a liner, not an individual glove.

I've tried them as a liner,didn't work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts