Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to this site and also moderately new to riding (probably only been on a bike for about 5k miles total in my life) but I made the fatal mistake of getting a bike in March '14 and not fixing it up until September '14...

Ergo, I rode it in the winter. Now, mind you, in NW Georgia where I was, the winters are extremely harsh, lows are around 20, at worst single digits, and the highs during the days are often in the low 40's. Still, I found out pretty quickly that without an absurd level of layered clothing on every inch of my body, i.e. pants on pants on pants on pants with long johns, I was pretty much a popsicle in about 10 minutes of riding. And my hands, forget about feeling anything for the next hour after getting off the bike.

So, do yall have any experience with cold weather/heated gear? I know that the weather is getting warmer, but that just means the gear is cheaper now, right? :D

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
i don't have the cold weather experience of some of the others here, certainly nothing as bad as Georgia winters, but winter in Montana does provide some cool temperatures.

i have found that wind protection is the biggest thing.

I use snowmobile gloves, and have brush guards on my handle bars,

For my top, I have a wind proof layer over my armour.

My boots are nice and warm.

You might look into wind proof pants for your legs.

Finaly see about getting an anti-fog balaclava for your helmet.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
There is a point in cold that you need heated gear, layers can only get you so far.

I got my heated gear at cycle gear, it was cheap and I don't care, I don't use it often. It works? It was a freaking revelation. Waterproof jacket, the heated jacket and a long sleeve t-shirt, no need for more layers that rest mobility and you're as warm! Also keeping your core temperature up helps keep your feet and hands from feeling too cold.

It's one of those things that people dismiss but have never tried it. Once you try heated gear you will never want to wear "layers" again.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The one upgrade all my bikes get are heated grips. Easy and inexpensive, about $30 for the heater elements. I tried a gerbings heated vest a few years ago and althought it work perfectly, I didn't use it often and wound up selling it on ebay.

For your MILD Georgia winters, heated grips will work well for you.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Consider a non-flashy rain suit to wear. Does wonders breaking the wind. Also, one of my staples is a neck gator. Simple enough to stuff down under your seat and does a heck of a lot to cut down wind. Keep your core warm and the rest is much easier.

That said, we bought my wife a battery heated vest a few years ago and she swore by it on our trip through Europe. Couple of different levels and with a back up battery she stayed warm all day.

I've never had heated grips on my bikes, but have tried them on a few rentals and they are great. Now that I am back in the U.S. Instead of the Middle East I will be installing some. Let's you wear lighter weight gloves, and even in the rain hands can stay pretty toasty warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts