Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may have noticed or even cared but Health care is getting crazy. A nice 1,000 deductable is just about no where to be found at a good price. Coverage has gotten worse and all I see is Hospitals expanding and looking more like mansions then places to get HELP!

They say it isnt the Insurance Companies. They say its just the cost of health care.

But when is this going to change? What is the price of your health? Heck if I am hurt I want the best treatment possible.. BUt dont load be up on drugs that dont do a damn thing and charge $100 for two tablets of tylonal.

What do you guys think about all this? Should the goverment jump in and stop this crazy rise in health care?

(Sorry for any spelling mistakes.. limited time to proof read)

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
man don't even get me started on health care costs....i'm a nurse and the things i've seen the abuses of the system the waste of resources...and one of the biggest reasons we have such high insurance premiums and healthcare costs are so high is due to the providing treatment to those that don't have insurance and don't pay the bills when they get them after receiving treatment....and i'm not just talking about the illegal imigrants that get "treatment for free" in there minds....when you see the sad stories on TV about the free brain surgery done in the US on the 4 year old from some foreign country - do you really think it's free - NO we the insured are paying for it....

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Badgixxer has hit the nail on the head. There's corruption in the system. Do you honestly think that bringing the government into it will cause LESS corruption in the system? That's a joke man. It will get worse. Why do Canadians with the funds come HERE for health care? Because our NON-GOVERNMENT care is better. Don't get me wrong, I don't think things are great now, but bringing the government in will only make them worse. Big brother is not the solution to every problem we face. That ideology is why I could never be a democrat. We the people can always do things better than a government agency... we might have problems and probably can't do it perfect, but it's still BETTER.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
crx81 said:
Why do Canadians with the funds come HERE for health care? Because our NON-GOVERNMENT care is better.
More likely it is because our care is more prompt (for those with money).

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Perhaps we all should have listened to Hillary. Not having a national health care system is a disgrace and has been a disaster for many of our citizens. Those of you who are now young should look to the possibility that your entire inheritance will be wealth-transferred to some doctor's kids or some insurance exec's kids.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Perhaps we all should have listened to Hillary. Not having a national health care system is a disgrace and has been a disaster for many of our citizens. Those of you who are now young should look to the possibility that your entire inheritance will be wealth-transferred to some doctor's kids or some insurance exec's kids.

Move to Canada if nationalized healthcare is the great pie in the sky.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
nig said:
More likely it is because our care is more prompt (for those with money).
More likely you're just guessing. Why don't you talk to those coming here and find out the real reason? Nice try though.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Are you implying that you aren't guessing yourself? How many Canucks in your sample population? Post up the stats.

Since you're really dying to know, I did a paper on this at some point in college, and besides the usual library research I interviewed a physician that practiced both in Canada and here. So I'm not entirely talking out of my ass.

Do you think you are more qualified than him to assess the comparative quality of medical care? Do you think Canadian patients know much about the quality of care, other than that by paying they get prompter service, a nicer room etc..

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Stop or put a cap on the frivolous medical lawsuits that keep coming up. I'm sure that's adding a cost or two the increase.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
nig said:
Are you implying that you aren't guessing yourself? How many Canucks in your sample population? Post up the stats.

Since you're really dying to know, I did a paper on this at some point in college, and besides the usual library research I interviewed a physician that practiced both in Canada and here. So I'm not entirely talking out of my ass.

Do you think you are more qualified than him to assess the comparative quality of medical care? Do you think Canadian patients know much about the quality of care, other than that by paying they get prompter service, a nicer room etc..
Sorry, I got my info from Canadians that I've spoken to personally. I'm sure that's nowhere near as reliable as your little school paper. You're implying that the opinion of one doctor, who is a part of the system, is more valid than the masses of patients coming here for care. Just out of curiosity, how many of THEM did you interview? Any? You started with a bias and got your information from a biased source. Ok, I'm impressed. :rolleyes
This country was not founded on the idea that the government should have their hands in every aspect of our lives. In fact, quite the oposite. (Do any school papers on that topic?) I wish those that thought it should would just move somewhere with that ideology instead of [email protected]#KING up this country. You might not be concerned with your freedom of choice in medical care, but some of us do. The implications of this topic go far beyond health care...

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
jim schmidt said:
About 1% of your insurance cost. Oh, that includes non-frivolous suits too.
1%? I kinda find that hard to believe. Do you have a source I could look at? Maybe I should stop my bitching about then :)

·
Nurse Nymphette
7,289 Posts
The rise of medical costs hurt everyone across the board. I'm sure badgixxer can back me up on this...we (nurses) are often called upon to invent things at work to take care of problems related to health care. We will rig up temporary fixes that may relieve pain or support an injured limb.

The hospitals often give "incentives" to people who invent things but it is small pitance compared to what they get for marketing the product. And later on we see the same thing we were able to rig with odds and ends that cost little to nothing for the patient listed in their bills at an astronomical cost to the patient!!

Not to mention the endless tests that are ordered for people in with "abdominal pain" or some other short lived illness. The doctors order those tests because they are so afraid of misdiagnosing a patient and getting sued. It's become a double edged sword to work in the medical field!!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Take profit driven greed out of health care and a lot of these problems will go away. For example, almost all research and development was paid for by taxpayers through the National Institutes of Health, or by research at taxpayer funded universities. Corporations patent what taxpayers paid already paid for then sock the public with outrageous prices. The costs of development of medication and ideas are paid for by the public and the profits are privatized. Same goes for almost every other area of health care.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts