Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I currently own a 2001 Corvette. One of the really great options I can't do w/out is the Heads Up Display (HUD). For those that don't know or have not seen it the HUD projects my MPH, RPM, fuel, engine and oil temp onto the bottom of the windshield. The best part of the HUD is that my MPH and RPM are always visible. Meaning I never have to look down at the gauges. Since the HUD is projected on the windsheild that information is always in the line of sight, so its just there.

I've riden sport bikes before. One of the things that I had trouble doing was riding and trying to glance down the speedometer to see how fast I was going. It was a little uncomfortable because I didn't want to take my eyes off the road. This was especially true when you see Mr. Policeman. So here is my thought....

What if you could have your MPH, RPM, Fuel, and some other various data points projected, via a HUD, onto your helmet visor. So that information would always be within your line of sight so you would not ever have to look down at your gauges. It would always be there and you would never have to take your eyes off the road.

1. Would a HUD inside a helmet be useful to you?

2. Is glancing down at your gauges really a problem for sport bike riders?

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
488 Posts
good idea.. get started on it :).. lol.. nothing too obtrusive, just a lil display with speed, rpms, and a shift light.. good idearrrss

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
1. Other than the "neat" factor, not really. To tell you the truth, it would actually bother me a great deal to have junk obstructing my vision.
2. Not at all.

It's sort of impossible to *not* notice approximately how fast you're going, without even looking down. Its not an issue, for anyone I've ever met, to look down at the gauge cluster. The tach is similar. Theres no reason to look down, you can HEAR the engine. If you want to go fast, shift at the light. If you just want to cruise around, who cares what specific rpm you're at!

·
Registered
5,025 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
I know what your talking about with the vette, those things are just awesome. If you could get that inside your helmet on your visor, that would be perfect. One day they will have em, right now it may just be to expensive. I got so used to the one on the vette that you don't even notice it unless you want to, your brain auto filters it out. I imagine the same would work with a visor one, even better since its closer to your eyes I think.

For those of you that do not know what we are talking about:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
StormHawk said:
One day they will have em, right now it may just be to expensive.

One Day? These things have been around for years, I haven't done a search so I couldn't tell you how many companies sell them, but project wise, Ive seen alot of these.

This is for sale, but I think still primitive:
http://blogs.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/09162004110317MWECMM.htm

If I was gonna have one, it would def have to be translucent, and I dont think i would want the gear indicator, maybe even the mph, the only thing i care about is revs. Retinal projection would be awesome, but I think the development on that would take a while, so maybe a LED membrane.

Sounds like you know what your doing here, but if you need any help let me know, ive built many things like this, and would love to chip in some ideas about the illumination

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
The sportview one is ok because the hud is up and to the right, it would be less distracting than glancing down to your speedometer. The only info I would need is mph, engine temp, and current gear.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Like was mentioned the HUD display for motorcycle helmets has been around for years. I would find it to distracting. It would always be in my perhpial (sp?) Regardless if you are looking down at the speedo or up in the corner of your helmet you are taking your eyes off the road for a moment of time. It wou

·
Registered
75 Posts
Those things are just another excuse, for a squid too cause an accident.How [email protected]%kin hard is it to look at ur speed/tach.oH YEAH!The agonizing effort of looking at ur speedo.....HUH? Incompent ryders will always shell-out $300 for garbage...........sportvue :pisson

·
Registered
528 Posts
The only thing I need on a HUD is the tach. I don't like taking my eyes off the road when I'm accelerating hard and my engine gets amazingly smooth just before redline. As a result, I've hit the rev limiter a couple of times.

No need for a speedo, I can pretty much tell how fast I'm going without even looking down. Now what would be great is a gear indicator somewhere.

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is something in the way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts