Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Yeah, don't wear them under your helmet. How can you hear traffic, bike, etc.? I know you can't wear them in Mass. in your car... don't think you can legally wear them on a bike either.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I wear headphones under my helmet occasionally.

I got a pair of Sony's that fit in my ear but have a plastic strip that hooks over my ear ($10). They don't have to be jammed in to stay put and they aren't yanked around or shoved in by the helmet.

I keep the volume reasonable and can still hear my bike and traffic around me.

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
You can also mount speakers in your helmet. There's a guide for doing that here:

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcycle/how_to/helmetradios.html

Personally I use the Koss earplug headphones. They actually go IN the ear so they block out the wind noise and actually make it EASIER to hear the traffic around you. You can find those here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5426318&type=product&id=1051826212451

Sony also makes a similar product, and even has a version with noise canceling. Those cost about $100 though, and I'm not ready to shell out that much for something like that.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I'm not trying to hijack, but is this legal? I've heard of riders using ear-plugs which would minimize noise, but using headphones on the road seems pretty dangerous, more so than ear-plugs.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
White Horse Press sells a speaker kit that velcros into your helmet for under 35 bucks...I have one and I like it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I ride with headphones almost all the time. I to have a set of small phones that wrap around my ear with just a small bud that you put in your ear itself. No problems hearing the bike or traffic. The only down side is I noticed when I DO have them on I tend to ride a little fast! :banana

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the ones that came with it or just like the koss but I think the koss ones might be a little small, so that should help, I was just trying to think of a way to mount the speakers in but dont know how it will do with wind noise but worth a shot, as for hearing the bike and traffic, I can still hear them just as good so its not much of an issue altough I was worried about it at first. thanks for the replies I'll check out the speakers in the helmet thing and if it looks like it'll work I'll do it and post up the results.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Sony fontopia. Inside the ear with rubber surrounds so they don't fall out.

I stopped using them on my commute though, I want every advantage I can get hearing sirens, skidding tires, horns and other related traffic awareness stuff. They might be good for a long freeway slog.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i'll second the fantopia ear plug phones. just attenuate the wind noise. can still hear everything else pretty well if i keep the volume down.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It don't think its against the law in most states to drive with headphones or earplugs. Do you have a vision test for driving? yes. Do you get a hearing test? no. So a blind person can't drive, but a deaf person can. At least in Hawaii.

Also cars are marketed that they block outside noise so you can't hear anything. Also no laws against how loud you can play your radio inside the car too. With all the wind & engine noise & my helmet on, I can't hear anything anyways.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You can't have both ears covered with headphones, it is a ticketable offense. You can have a headphone covering one ear, or an earlpug in one ear, just not both.

Cars are not made to block all noise. No car has been made thus far that is sound-proof and road legal.

There are noise laws, now, in most states they are not enforced. These are the same laws that restrict how loud our engines are.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I been riding 5 years with some sort of headphones.. ipod for last 3 years.. not a single problem.. I might try those 6i phones they look pimp but I use philips over the ear buds now.. work great have to pull the helmet out alittle when slipping over the ear though..

rock and ride baby.. :banana

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oh and if you have an ipod like me YOU NEED THIS. I was trying to fumble for buttons in my upper pocket of my riding jacket to mute, skip tracks etc..

This thing works rf frequency I mount the remote near my clutch hand on the plastic and then I have skip, rewind, mute, and volumbe all within a touch. its absolutely great!! works via RF so ipod is in your pocket securely and the remote controls it all!! :banana

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
mikem317 said:
I'm not trying to hijack, but is this legal? I've heard of riders using ear-plugs which would minimize noise, but using headphones on the road seems pretty dangerous, more so than ear-plugs.

I don't see how one could be any safer or more dangerous than the other. Both are going to block your ability to hear things around you at LOW speeds. Once you're moving though, all you hear is wind/engine/exhaust anyway, so there's not much to miss then.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
crx81 said:
I don't see how one could be any safer or more dangerous than the other. Both are going to block your ability to hear things around you at LOW speeds. Once you're moving though, all you hear is wind/engine/exhaust anyway, so there's not much to miss then.
Eh, if anything I would think earplugs are legal. Not sure about earphones though. I've used earplugs, and same sounds, just a whole lot quieter. Earphones? Little to none of the same sounds that are important: bike, traffic, etc. Not sure though, I'm kinda on a limb here. What's the legalities concerning headphones? Prob. different from state to state.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It is technically illegal to have both ears plugged with headphones. But if you ever try it you will see, that if the volume isn't turned up on high you can still hear cars and such anyway. It helps cancel wind noise too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wear head phones all the time, even been ticketed for speeding twice and the cop never said nothing about it. I have been told by some they were reemed by cops for it. But they did not say if they were cited. it probably depends on the cop. Ive messed with and without. and in a full face helmet at 35mph, i could not hear an ambulance comming until it was 1 1/2 block from me. I figure at 35+ u cant hear much either way. so i wear them.
Ask a cop, or pulle the plug if you get stopped. Let make em prove they were in your ears.

·
Registered
535 Posts
mikem317 said:
Eh, if anything I would think earplugs are legal. Not sure about earphones though. I've used earplugs, and same sounds, just a whole lot quieter. Earphones? Little to none of the same sounds that are important: bike, traffic, etc. Not sure though, I'm kinda on a limb here. What's the legalities concerning headphones? Prob. different from state to state.

yeah, im sure its a ll different state to state...
don't quote me but i think here in maryland you are allowed to wear headphones but only in one ear...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts