Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the bike yesterday from a local dealer. It's a 2003 with 2100 miles on it and it's had a bit of a tough life so far from the looks of things. Tailpipes are scratched up on both sides of the bike and the upper fairing is a bit off - like it's not resting on the frame properly or something. The rear tire is far more worn than the front giving me the impression that either hard stops or burnouts took from the normal amount of tread for a bike with 2000 miles.

Anyway aside from the cosmetic issues, the bike runs pretty well. This is my first 500, as I owned a virago 750 and a 96 katana 750. While I'm not overwhelmed by the power it has enough. The dealer stated that I was to bring the bike back in after it hit 3000 miles for the valve adjustment and to keep it at or below 6,000 RPM's. That sounds strange to me as I thought the break in would be 1500 miles...??

However my headlight doesn't work at all. No highbeams or lowbeams. I checked the fuse for the headlight with continuity tester and it seems to be fine. I pulled the upper fairing and installed a replacement bulb, but to no avail.

Can anyone give me anything to look at before I have to take the bike back for the headlight? Is there anything obvious that I'm missing? The headlight should just come on when I start the bike right?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Start looking/test the wiring on the harness going into the fuse block. Sometimes the seat will hit it just right to break the wire. Check the switch too and see if it's shorted. You might even want to open it up and inspect it. Replace the fuse just to be sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ Thx!

That's at least something to check.

Can anyone comment on the valve adjustment at 3000 miles? Is that typical? I have purchased the owners manual from kawasaki but I have not yet received it.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Headlight relay maybe?? Poss another fuse someplace. My ZX12R has like 2 or 3 fuses in the headlight circuit..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Break-in (on my 2005, anyway) is 1,000 miles. I was thinking that if they want you to keep it under 6K rpms and bring it in maybe they rebuilt the engine or something. I'd call them and ask.

Sounds like maybe you bought the bike "as is"? If it was me I'd take it back right now and tell them the headlight never worked. That's definitely a safety issue they should take care of.

And the headlight comes on when you start the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts