Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
/rant on

Ok, this is pissing me off. The past hour and a friggin half i have been trying to install a stupid fucking network adapter on a laptop. I have done this before and it only takes 10, maybe 15 minutes max. WHY THE HELL ISN"T IT INSTALLING NOW!!!!! :mad: Im wicked aggrivated right now. Im about to toss this fucking thing out the window. Linksys tech support is the worst bunch of cock suckers i have ever dealt with to. Waited 30 minutes, got DISCONNECTED waited another 30 fucking minutes to get oursourced to some indianin who you can barley understand. They were no help.

/rant off

Ok....so here is my set up. I got a wireless router up in my room. It is connected with wires to my computer and my xbox. Downstairs my parents have this old, slow, piece of shit compaq. It is the only thing i use the wireless for. I originally bought the network adapter for it about a year ago. I installed it without a problem and havn't had to many problems since. Now, I can't get this thing to install!!!! I put the CD in that comes with the adapter and it goes through the installation but it still says it won't connect and when i roll my mouse over the linksys logo at the bottom right hand corner it says WPC11 is not installed (that piece of shit). When i go to device manager is shows a question mark near "other devices/ethernet controller". I just re-formatted the thing with windows xp home (the one that came with my dell). The laptop had ME on there, but we put XP home in before and it worked fine with the adapter but now it's not working.

Before i forget, during installation it said something about not being able to run a test for windows XP compatability or some BS like that. Said it MIGHT not work properly. But i know it has worked before so i ignore it. Also, i went to re-install and it said the drivers are already installed and if i want to un-install i need to run the un-install program from the program menu under linksys. So i run the un-install and go to re-install and it fucking tells me the same message. Problem now is it's already un-installed. How the hell can i re-install the stuff now?

Any ideas. I can't deal with Linksys tech support anymore. :boid

Thanks in advance. :cheers

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
If you get to device manager you can force it to not recognise the piece of hardware. Before that however make sure the network adapter is not in the computer. Restart, try installing the drivers first (refer to the manual if this is the right way or not), install hardware, restart. Pray.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
ummm on a lap top isnt the network card a little slide in pcimia thingamagig? It shouldnt need drivers at all... especially in XP. Prolly what happened is the drivers since they wernt the ms ok jobbies wrote some shit in the registry about it and that is whats doing the juju to ya now. Network cards can be one of the most agravating pirces of hardware there is to install if it dont wanna go in... Ive had some epic struggles with oddball cards in other peoples systems that literally took days to figgure out. The worst was a friggen 125+ dollar 3com card.... finally found on 3coms site that it was discontinued and they had a special tool that ripped out all the offending files.... if it didnt work they suggested reinstalling the OS!!! Dont think I didnt hit the fan when I heard that.... the card was just bought from Comp USA a few days before... the guy called me to fix it for him. I worked about 30 hours to solve the problem. Then thetech moron sends a email with the reinstall info.... good thing I didnt have to do that... I wouold have never lived through the shitstorm....

Usually 3com has the top line network gear.... its def the highest $$$ wise. I never buy any 3com stuff now. Stick to Dlink and Linksys under $20 and werk fine. Ive had network cards die on me also... do you have another card to sub it with to try?

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea the network card plugs into the PCMCIA slot. I plug it in and the little power light comes on but for whatever reason it will not connect. When installing the software it asked if i should install in infrastructure or ad-hoc mode? I used infrastructure, is that right? Also,k tech support said there needs to be a driver installed but it should have installed when i put the CD in. Yet, when i try to re-install everything it tells me the drivers are already installed and to un-install first then re-install. So i un-installed and now i can't re-install because the computer still thinks the drivers are installed. :confused: I don't have any other network cards either.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Inky24 said:
/rant on

Linksys tech support is the worst bunch of cock suckers i have ever dealt with to. Waited 30 minutes, got DISCONNECTED waited another 30 fucking minutes to get oursourced to some indianin who you can barley understand. They were no help.
:eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor RIGHT ON!!!! We have the wireless too and it is installed, but we can't get the computers linked.... NO help from Lynksys

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a full boat of Linksys junk around here, I have the cable modem to wireless router wired on my main comp, another lan wired desktop, a wireless link desktop upstairs, and a laptop also ran wireless about the house. It works now but problems I have had:

Our comp upstairs gave me a shitload of problems because the damn windows XP wireless network controller was fighting the Linksys config utility so it wouldn't connect or stay connected. I finally got that one beat.

I have had a wireless router just go bad and only function from lan ports regardless of resets, but I haven't had my current(2nd) one have that problem.

One note is the desktop I had the problem with came with XP home (I haven't had the problem with Pro). I am wondering you might be having the same problem I had. Anyway have you went to the control panel > system >device manager, right clicked on the WiFi adapter card and uninstalled it from the hardware profile? It should be listed under "Network Adapters" or if not just kick it out from "Other..." and reboot the comp. Else you might need to disable the option in WinXP of handling the wireless network if it is coming up when you try to connect. Good luck with it, wireless can be a whore to troubleshoot..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Check their website for updated drivers. Install the drivers then plug in the card. If it still doesn't work then return it for a different card.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Inky24 said:
Yea the network card plugs into the PCMCIA slot. I plug it in and the little power light comes on but for whatever reason it will not connect. When installing the software it asked if i should install in infrastructure or ad-hoc mode? I used infrastructure, is that right? Also,k tech support said there needs to be a driver installed but it should have installed when i put the CD in. Yet, when i try to re-install everything it tells me the drivers are already installed and to un-install first then re-install. So i un-installed and now i can't re-install because the computer still thinks the drivers are installed. :confused: I don't have any other network cards either.
When your plugging the card in, and the light comes on, does it look like Plug n Play is activating and doing anything like "new hardware detected" etc?

When launching the installation does it give you the option to "uninstall"?

Try yanking the card out and booting into safe mode. delete every instance of the card in device manager while in safe mode. You might be surprised at how many times its in there.

Just wondering..the system you are attempting to install this on..whats the OS (95/98/2k/XP)??

Good luck

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Buzz said:
I am wondering you might be having the same problem I had. Anyway have you went to the control panel > system >device manager, right clicked on the WiFi adapter card and uninstalled it from the hardware profile? It should be listed under "Network Adapters" or if not just kick it out from "Other..." and reboot the comp. Else you might need to disable the option in WinXP of handling the wireless network if it is coming up when you try to connect. Good luck with it, wireless can be a whore to troubleshoot..
I havnt worked on the thing i a couple days. Needed to cool off, it was pissing me off to much. Im gonna give this a shot first. Havnt gone into control panel yet. Im a web designer, damn networks and hardware always confuse me :D

chilton_gm said:
When your plugging the card in, and the light comes on, does it look like Plug n Play is activating and doing anything like "new hardware detected" etc?

When launching the installation does it give you the option to "uninstall"?

Try yanking the card out and booting into safe mode. delete every instance of the card in device manager while in safe mode. You might be surprised at how many times its in there.

Just wondering..the system you are attempting to install this on..whats the OS (95/98/2k/XP)??

Good luck
The light comes on but no the Plug n Play isnt comming up which i thought was wierd.

When launching the installation it only gives me the option to install. It says if i want to un-install i need to go to programs>linksys>uninstall. I did that and ran the uninstall program. But then when i go to install again it says everything is already installed. :confused:

Havnt tried anything in safe mode yet and im using XP Home.

Im gonna go try and work on it in a couple hours when i get back from the gym and liquor store.....im gonna need alot of beer for this :beer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts