Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my zx6e, it seems that i can't adjust my side mirrors in a way that i can see cars behind me, my arms are always in the way. am i just missing something or what?

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
No not really. Adjust the mirrors as best you can while you are in your regular riding position - not sitting up or laying down on the tank. Also when you look, move your arms to help you see.

Remember too, all you really need to know is that something is back there - unlike a car where you might get a nice clear look at what is there, even under the best of circumstances a bike's mirrors usually vibrate around enough that you don't get a great look anyhow. You'll learn to adjust.

One other trick, keep your speed up so that you are usually overtaking cars a little at a time so you know pretty wuch who is around you and where. Then when you check your mirrors, you already know the answers.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Yep,what he said.........that's great advice.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
no most bike mirrors don't offer much in viewing cars directly behind you. You can always move over to one side of the lane to get a some what better view of what is behind you.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
just go faster and there will eventually be nothing in your rearview mirrors...

Personally, I have them set that I have to move my arm and when riding in the left handside of the lane, I can see for the most part a portion of the lane behind me and the left to the right side of me.

I don't know about you all, but I keep my bike outside under a cover (no garage) so I fold down my mirrors. I have a spot that I move the bike to where I check and set my mirrors before I leave. So that they are in the same position every day. I focus on the front door on one side and a part of the garden on the other mirror. Same thing every day and for the most part, I can see pretty well. I my opinion it is easiest to find a confortable postion for them and remain consistant with the mirrors and you learn how to adjust to their limits and expect what is in them when you look through them. understanding where a car is in relationship to the bike will change when the position of the mirror changes. With consistancy, I know that I have to move my right arm and lean a little to the left to see the full lane behind me. I also know how close a car is on my right side because of it's position in the mirror. IMHO, find a confortable position, set referance points where you live to set the mirrors by, and sitck with them. You will learn how to use them and use them well. After a few hours/days of riding with them, it will be second nature and you will trust them. Good luck with your mirrors.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
oober said:
just go faster and there will eventually be nothing in your rearview mirrors...
Except for those red and blue flashy things, but I'm sure they're nothing to worry about :twofinger

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
The mirrors on my F4i are just about as useless for me...I get great views of my shoulders...but not behind me

·
Registered
39 Posts
I find that a quick turn of the head is sufficient enough to see what is goin on back there although i do use my mirrors by moving to the sides of the lanes.

·
Registered
791 Posts
extremesanity2 said:
on my zx6e, it seems that i can't adjust my side mirrors in a way that i can see cars behind me, my arms are always in the way. am i just missing something or what?

I found some mirrors online that attach to the Ends of your bike handle bars. This Should allow you to see behind you just fine.

The guy that said "know your surroundings" is totally correct. I normally memorize all vehicles around me and i have been trying to stay in positions so that in case some dick wants to hit me .... 1 flick of wrist and/or a lil lean and I'll be in the clear.

Personally i just took off my mirrors. They were ugly and i saw exactly what you saw. Plus the vibrations were terrible. Head turns take 1 second and checking my rear takes 1.3 seconds. Its against the law in my state, may not be for you ... too bad i dont care about my states laws. :neener

·
Registered
346 Posts
After reading some of the other responses ... YIKES.

Ok. First, have you tried "tucking in" your elbows? Alot of folks ride with their elbows out away from their body which typically does 2 things: 1: Puts more force on the handlebars and makes your transmit more shock into the forks which = worse ride & less control. 2: Blocks your mirrors. Try moving your elbows in towards your body while squeezing the tank with your knees & tightening your abs to hold yourself up, instead of "leaning" on the bars. You didn't mention if you are a big guy or now, that makes a real difference.

Second, you seem to already appreciate the fact that you need to look behind (such as when stopping at lights so you don't get your ass run down by some cager that's not seeing you stop). I often will angle my body a bit to ensure that I can see behind when coming to a stop.

HTH

Bjorn

·
Registered
791 Posts
Jeckyll said:
Second, you seem to already appreciate the fact that you need to look behind (such as when stopping at lights so you don't get your ass run down by some cager that's not seeing you stop

I dont understand all the ppl who post about watching the cars behind them when they stop.

1. What the hell are you going to do if you "THINK" a car will hit you. Speed out from a stop and fly into the intersection hoping to avoid other cars? I cant percieve doing anything that would save you. And then how do you know the car isnt doing a late stop.

2. If you guys are watching your 6 while stopping how are you going to see wheree to stop at.

Im not completely stupid, I do check my ass WHile rolling to make sure jack asses arnt following too close. The newer fast *looking* cars like to keep close for some odd reason. Also before making hard turns I check my 6 and then figure out how i want to break for the turn. Other than that I dont see how 6 watching can help much.

Now mirrors at night to help you see lights. yall Should see the video where bikers get run over in mexico at night by some ass. He plowed straight through 4-5 bikes and kept going. 1 biker noticed him coming, using his mirrors i think, but as soon as he hit the throttle he got creamed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
SnookayDCC said:
I dont understand all the ppl who post about watching the cars behind them when they stop.

1. What the hell are you going to do if you "THINK" a car will hit you. Speed out from a stop and fly into the intersection hoping to avoid other cars? I cant percieve doing anything that would save you. And then how do you know the car isnt doing a late stop.
Yea, I agree with this. When I ride I generally glance behind as I'm coming to a light and while I'm sitting at it, but it's more from habit than actually thinking I can do something if I do see someone not stopping. If I'm sitting at a red light, my only options would be to fly out into the intersection and get t-boned or do a superman dive off my bike and pray that I don't get hit in midair.:dunno

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
A couple of things on this. First, nobody says you have to tear off across an intersection. Personally, I might try to turn right and run alongside traffic to get away. For that matter, if there was a wheelchair ramp I might go up it and onto the sidewalk if I could. If I wasn't the first person in line I might try to dodge around the cars, split lanes or even go into the oncoming lane if I thought it would get me away from the guy who would run me down. Whatever the hell it takes, I'd get off the mark and out of the kill zone.

One of the keys to being a successful motorcylict is being aware of your surroundings and understanding your mobility. You can easilly put your bike places cars can't usually go. I once avoided rear ending a guy (who stopped on the blind side of a hill and was backing up the road because he missed his turn) by going between the right side of his truck and the ditch on the three feet of pavement that was open.

And in answer to your question, yes, if it was between getting run down for sure and taking my chances with the cross traffic I'd guage my odds and go for it if I needed to.

·
Registered
791 Posts
tmkreutzer.....

Im not saying I would do nothing if I knew for a FACT I was about to get F'd from the back. Yes if i knew i was going to get creamed i would do everything you stated. Fact is, you cant know how the guy behind you will stop. In my car i stop short alot, I dont like stoping at a red from 2 miles back like some ppl.

Hey are you really in Japan? On a side note, i was watching some anime a few hours ago and i thought "the highschool kids in ALL these animes never do drugs." I've never even seen crackhead asians on TV. How is it really like in Japan?

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Usually the sound of skidding tires helps you know it's the real thing. Jokes aside, you gotta check your six - my wife and I almost got run down from behind last week by some dumb bitch who decided she was going to run a stoplight I was going to stop for. I heard her gun it and jinked to the left to get out o her way. She roared by with about a foot to spare on my right. (Of course she needed to get by me to stop 300 feet further down the road at another light...)

Japan is OK. This is the second time I've lived here. The first time I came because I was down on my luck and becoming an English teacher was about the best way I could figure to get back on my feet. This time I was assigned here for my job, I bid on Osaka because my wife is from this area and it's nice to go home.

Japan is not what most Americans imagine. People here have more money than the average American, but they have -in my opinion- a lower standard of living. In the cities, people are crammed in on top of one another so tight there isn't room to breathe and it drives me nuts. There are quite a few homeless people around (from what you see on TV you wouldn't think there are ANY) and also, most of the young people are WAY underemployed - it's pretty common to see college educated people working as cashiers in stores and stuff. In my opinion a blue collar guy in the USA who works 9 to 5 and owns an acre with a mobile home on it is probably living better than most of the people here.

At the end of elementry school, the kids in school here start to get tested to determine which high schools they'll go to. The ones you see in anime are usually the college track kids they like to hold up as the examples. There are a lot of kids who wind up in vocational high schools, which is pretty much the same as getting written off now that most of the big factories have downsized. Worse yet, since high school kids' parents have to pay tuition, the poorer kids may not even get to go to high school. They have to go to work after Jr. high ends, can you imagine the jobs they're trying to get? What other first world countries in the world force kids into the work force with an eight grade education? Some things about this country are f*cked up.

The countryside is great - I head out away from the city as often as I can, but the countryside isn't a place that most Americans can really get to unless they try hard. If you ever make it here, try and get out away from the big cities and find out what people mean when they talk about the "real Japan."

Despite all the downsides it IS pretty safe - almost no chance of getting robbed or killed. Overall, I have a pretty good life here, but I'm looking forward to my next assignment somewhere else. I'll bid this summer - I might bid Japan again (rather than go back to the third world) but there are other places I'd rather go.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What would I do if I see a car come charging towards my from behind?

Simple: 1: If you are on a multi lane road and there are cars in front, move between them and move forward as far as possible to let the cars take the impact.
2: If you are at the front of the light and you believe a guy isn't stopping, move to the side of the lane so that he may go past you into the intersection. (after all, isn't there usually a crosswalk area? That should give you enough room to maneuver).

It is really not very hard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts