Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I stopped a SUV for an illegal turn. The older couple seemed nice and I went about my usual spiel when I stop a car. The female passenger asked for a warning just before I walked back to my car. I told her, nicely, that I find it disrespectful to ask for a warning, that it's my choice to decide whether or not to issue a citation and that asking for one puts me in the spot of even more of a bad guy if I don't issue one as they did break the law or I wouldn't have stopped them. The male driver smiled and I walked back. I came back up to the car and gave him his information back. I told him I wasn't giving him a citation, that I just wanted him to understand the dangers of his actions. I said that his turn faced his wife's door to 2 lanes of oncoming traffic and although we aren't meeting under the best circumstances, I'd much rather be talking to you then holding your wife's hand as the fire department tries to cut her out of the vehicle. He asked me if I knew Captain XXXXXX. I said of course, he is the head of the Criminal Investigations Division. He says he is a good personal friend of theirs. I said I was glad he didn't say that at the beginning of the traffic stop as it would then be seen as trying to influence me in doing my job. He said no, he wouldn't do that, he was just curious. I told them to have a good day and that was it.

Yesterday I got a call from Captain XXXXXX about a different matter. At the end of our conversation he says he got an atta boy about me from a friend of his I stopped. I asked him what did they say? He said that his friend was very impressed with my appearance, that I looked and acted very professional, and that he and his wife truly believed I had their safety in mind more then numbers or ticket revenue. Apparently an inside joke between the two of them.

So after meeting the kid with no helmet from 4 years ago and now a personal "good job" from the top, it does pay to just keep doing the job the right way and staying positive.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
that it does, that it does.

Police work tends to attract entirely the wrong type of person.
it's good that some folks still get into it and don't become jerkwads.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Your gf should congratulate you for being such a good boy!

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
in that red n black thing she has. . .

over and over again. . .

:D

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
RT. No disrespect meant but I'm surprised that someone asking for a break bothers you. I'm sure in my 30 years quite a few asked me and it never bothered me. I just told them I would decide within a few minutes. Of course I wrote so few tickets in my career that the odds were usually good that the person was getting a break anyway.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your gf should congratulate you for being such a good boy!
in that red n black thing she has. . .

over and over again. . .

:D
Oh, she will.

RT. No disrespect meant but I'm surprised that someone asking for a break bothers you. I'm sure in my 30 years quite a few asked me and it never bothered me. I just told them I would decide within a few minutes. Of course I wrote so few tickets in my career that the odds were usually good that the person was getting a break anyway.
It doesn't bother me so much, but I do find it distasteful to a certain extent. I get asked often but I'd rather make up my own mind. In 18 years so far I probably have around a 35-40% citation rate, and that's even after only after the blatant violations.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
It doesn't bother me so much, but I do find it distasteful to a certain extent. I get asked often but I'd rather make up my own mind. In 18 years so far I probably have around a 35-40% citation rate, and that's even after only after the blatant violations.
I remember when I lived in NC the news would always cover the crackdown sprees that police did for traffic violations on holiday weekends and what not. During one interview I saw, the reporter asked what was the best way to get out of a ticket. He replied with a little chuckle, "besides obeying the law, asking the officer for leniency is the best course of action" because "you never know". Or something to that effect.

I'm about 50/50 on asking for a warning, but when I did it never helped. So I don't tend to bother much. Although it has been almost 3 years since I have been pulled over (knock on wood) for anything substantial (I got pulled for tint a few weeks ago, but he let me go).

So either way, maybe the people who ask have seen the same broadcast as me.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
What's your rank, Daniel? You're not a Captain by now? :D If you say Lt. then I'm putting up a Forest Gump jpeg.

Good job on the work. Dude's around North Versailles out here are known for pulling people over because they have brown eyes, let alone an actual violation.

(Thankfully I have blue/grey eyes and don't speed through there...)

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's your rank, Daniel? You're not a Captain by now? :D If you say Lt. then I'm putting up a Forest Gump jpeg.

Good job on the work. Dude's around North Versailles out here are known for pulling people over because they have brown eyes, let alone an actual violation.

(Thankfully I have blue/grey eyes and don't speed through there...)
Still a Sergeant, but currently in the running for a Lieutenant spot. And I get the Lt. Dan comments already. :D

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I have never asked for a warning/to be let off (that I can recall), because I am not one who is gonna tell an officer what course of action he should take, in most cases.

Instead, I'll basically talk to the guy. Most of em will start up some form of conversation about where you're off to, what you're doing, nice truck, whatever. I engage in that conversation and attempt to show that I made myself a mistake and his/her light bar kindly reminded me to step back in line.

Courteous, everything is sir/ma'am, and don't sound too nervous.

I have received 6 tickets, and been pulled over probably 20 plus times.
In my experience, being a good human being who can admit when they cocked up is the best course of action.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
I got pulled just about every 9 months or so from age 16 to almost 25 - I have a heavy right foot. Never once did I ask for a break, got one occasionally. Oddly enough, I drive and ride at least as fast as ever yet I haven't been pulled over but once in the last 15 years and only got a warning that time.

Funny story of a chance meeting from back in my Air Force days: I'm home for the weekend (based 2.5 hrs from home) and out with some friends. After bar time, I'm bringing a friend of a friend home, she's drunk and can't give directions worth a shit. Tells me to turn right, then as I start to turn yells no, go straight. As I abort the turn, I look and see a cop parked in the service station just ahead.

Headlights come on and I just roll up to where he's sitting. He asks me to step out of the car (thinks I'm drunk) and starts talking to me as he asks for my license. As I pull my license, he sees my military ID and asks which branch and where I'm stationed. I tell him. He mentions that his uncle is the First Sargent of a unit and asks if I know him, gives me the name. This is the nephew of my First Sargent! He smiles, hands my license back and tells me when I get back on Monday to say hi.

Monday morning, I step in to see the First Sargent. When I tell him that Doug says hi, he chuckles and asks what I got pulled over for. We had a good chuckle over the coincidence.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I once got a warning and I slowed down for quite a while (not that I'm a big speeder, as evinced by 3 stops in 11 years). The guy was very polite and seemed to be an all around great guy. It honestly had the same effect as if he had written me a ticket. I left with a "cops sure are nice, I don't want to speed just because it would be rude to the nice cops like that" attitude.

Years later I got an 11mph over on the interstate that treated me like I was speed racer endangering the lives of everyone. The rude attitude and $275 fine left me wanting a file transfer protocol tattoo. Same for when I got a 12mph over, only the ticket wasn't nearly so high for whatever jurisdictional reason. Those two tickets just pissed me off and made me look up the law so I could rebel a bit. I decided I should do 8-9mph over all day long since they aren't likely to give me a ticket and if they do its chump change.

My long drawn out point is that while, some people just take advantage of kindness, for me at least... a warning and a ticket each get me to slow down, but the main difference is my perception. Perhaps if I made a a lot of money neither would mean much to me, but as Is I count a warning as a wonderful gift and a ticket as a punishment I am powerless against that fosters a bit of resentment (sorry, its human nature).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts