Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to my local dealership for some sale thing they got going on and I met a few guys that were in a motorcycle group. They asked if I was interested in joining and gave their number to me. They all had matching vests, so it seemed more than just a few guys who ride together.

They say they do a lot of rides together, but then also do community service so the police are cool with their stunt riding. Doesn't make sense they do community service or else I'd join a volunteer group. I'm open to riding with a group, but I'm not trying to make a motorcycle group my life. I would only go as far as pretending it's like a college frat, but not interested in the cult types stuff where the bike group is your new life.

My ideal situation is meeting people who like to ride bikes, but not into the whole wearing the same vest deal because I think it's cheesy and looks desperate for attention (plus I'm not trying to scare people thinking we're thugs). I want them to still have lives outside their motorcycle, but enjoy riding them to commute. I don't really wanna join a huge group of 100+ people because at that point it starts to feel like you're part of a group seminar and not with your friends. I only want to do rides with a manageable size like 4-8 people. I prefer ppl to be around my age, I'm not into hearing stories of how the older guys have been riding forever and having someone become a second parent.

I'm fine being around military guys only if they're like my friend who is training for Navy Seals, but I have encountered military guys even my age who just have to push me into hearing their life story in the military. It'd be cool if they were in the military and just see it as something they've done, but not something they constantly have to bring up in conversation. I've had this happen to me before at a bar where some guy gave me a free beer, then forces me to listen to him for 30 minutes of his life story in Afghanistan and his view on life.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Free beer for exchange of 30 mins of boring crap .. Much like getting a free coke from an estate agent when your waiting on the wife and daughter coming out the shoe shop . There was a gang here for a while , they wore red jackets , I think there was a steady membership of one .. and he didn't have a bike .

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
I went to my local dealership for some sale thing they got going on and I met a few guys that were in a motorcycle group. They asked if I was interested in joining and gave their number to me. They all had matching vests, so it seemed more than just a few guys who ride together.

They say they do a lot of rides together, but then also do community service so the police are cool with their stunt riding. Doesn't make sense they do community service or else I'd join a volunteer group. I'm open to riding with a group, but I'm not trying to make a motorcycle group my life. I would only go as far as pretending it's like a college frat, but not interested in the cult types stuff where the bike group is your new life.

My ideal situation is meeting people who like to ride bikes, but not into the whole wearing the same vest deal because I think it's cheesy and looks desperate for attention (plus I'm not trying to scare people thinking we're thugs). I want them to still have lives outside their motorcycle, but enjoy riding them to commute. I don't really wanna join a huge group of 100+ people because at that point it starts to feel like you're part of a group seminar and not with your friends. I only want to do rides with a manageable size like 4-8 people. I prefer ppl to be around my age, I'm not into hearing stories of how the older guys have been riding forever and having someone become a second parent.

I'm fine being around military guys only if they're like my friend who is training for Navy Seals, but I have encountered military guys even my age who just have to push me into hearing their life story in the military. It'd be cool if they were in the military and just see it as something they've done, but not something they constantly have to bring up in conversation. I've had this happen to me before at a bar where some guy gave me a free beer, then forces me to listen to him for 30 minutes of his life story in Afghanistan and his view on life.
Please go lanesplit at highway speeds.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
bike gangs :squid2 especially if they have matching vests.:facepalm

find a local bike forum. organize a weekly ride. don't let the guys who always need meet at noon be the voice of the time to meet. and don't let the guys who just want to hit up riding past the mall be the group you ride with. but that's just me.

btw, it's funny you mention someone who brings up his life story all the time.....

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Try hanging out with people who ride to ride, not to be seen or use their bikes to pick up girls. You find them out in the mountains just after sunrise; when the animals are bedding down, drunks, teenagers/soccer moms on cell phones are still in bed, and the cops are close to base.

For some, the military is their life, their way of life; for others it is just a job. Your friends who is training to be a Navy Seal won't say much to civilians once he becomes a Seal (which takes years be the way) that's just how the Special Ops community is, loose lips sink ships.

My Blog http://www.herown2wheels.com[/urlhttp://www.herown2wheels.com[/url

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Jet, go join blox stars. Some of them are cops so you have total immunity of the laws. And they can ride faster than anyone else so thats who you should be learning from. Just keep your mouth shut and stay at the front of the group and you'll fit right in

·
Registered
729 Posts
Most of us on this forum aren't really qualified to give you advice on joining a motorcycle club or riding group. You need help from a true expert on such clubs.

I suggest you use facebook or twitter to contact this guy with your questions:
Sonny Barger - An American Legend

1 - 20 of 47 Posts