Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...seen what's in the front vent on your helmet?

Usually after I ride my throat is a bit sore and I think I know why. After riding the supermoto around today I ran my finger through that spongey filter in the front vent of my Arai. It came out black, covered in shiny exhaust carbon build-up after multiple wipes. Nasty, that sh*t cannot be good for you. I've owned my Arai for nearly 3 years but I'm going to wash it out twice a year from now on. Now I know why some bicyclists wear exhaust masks when they ride. A big thanks definately goes out to the thousands around here that drive around in diesel trucks just to haul their fat asses to the local hillbilly tavern.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here's a link to some Respro products that have a filter in then to filter out stuff from the cars and crap, I been thinking about getting one, think about all that junk getting in your lungs.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
actually bro the diesels are lower emission than the gasoline jobs...look into it. Maybe look into staying in FRONT of people at the track and you wont have to worry bout that :lao Another thing is that if you are riding close enough to someones tail end to get exhaust leavings in your filter then you may wanna also look into staying off peoples asses....just my .02 :) This all depends on where you live though...i mean in a place like Cali the air is thick with exhaust and pollution so i can understand that. But if you are havin this problem in say Omaha NE then you may wanna look into the "Why" aspects :) (all this is in good fun dont take it personal)

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
^^^^ ewwwww nasty Reck!!! :eek:nfloor gee washing the helmet 2x per year? Is that like the same as laundry day? :D I wash the bucket out at least once a month. The liner and padding will stay around much longer I find, not to mention you don't get the dirty looks when you pull the helmet off... :lol

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
lol KH nothing sux worse than helmet funk...especially if you are in a big group when you take it off!! PEEEEEYEEWWWW whats that smell!!

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
... the muted whispers of whofarted... :eek:nfloor LMAO.... years of dirtbiking taught me that bit.... it sort of carried over into the road bit... Nothin worse than puttin a stinky old BO'ed out shirt on that missed the wash then a stinky helmet.... the problem 2x worse when it has to come off that *gravy" that sometimes magicly pools up there can be really :eek: good for dispursing large crowds, but not if you are with friends or worse a female... :beer

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Reckless01 said:
actually bro the diesels are lower emission than the gasoline jobs...look into it. Maybe look into staying in FRONT of people at the track and you wont have to worry bout that :lao Another thing is that if you are riding close enough to someones tail end to get exhaust leavings in your filter then you may wanna also look into staying off peoples asses....just my .02 :) This all depends on where you live though...i mean in a place like Cali the air is thick with exhaust and pollution so i can understand that. But if you are havin this problem in say Omaha NE then you may wanna look into the "Why" aspects :) (all this is in good fun dont take it personal)
I've looked into it (wrote a thesis on it actually) and diesels pollute way more than gasoline engines due to the carcinogenic properties of the black soot they spew out in droves. Diesels have their own set of pollution standards for the very reason that they could never meet the gasoline standards. I don't race; I just ride on I-5 quite often. Autos are everywhere here all the time it seems so I think that is why the nasty carbon build-up.

I haven't used my helmet enough to get the funk going on, but my dirt helmet sure has that going for it. Nothing like sticking your entire head into dirty sock stench, lol.

I wonder if that Respro stuff works??? I'm down with the rubber shirt, heh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts