Sport Bikes banner

have a question about locking the bars

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Spike 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, proud new owner here...

how do you lock the bar...I've read the instruction..and followed it, but the key doesn't seem to turn all the way to the lock position...how hard do you have to pull to the left side? I've pushed it all the way so that the left side until the bar touches the tank..and still can't turn the key all the way to lock the bars...I've turned the key at the same time I'm pulling in the bar and about half way, the key refuses to keep turning towards the lock position...

did my stealer screw up when they put mine together...plus I noticed that there was a loose wire right under the left handle, going into the clutch...I plugged it in but have not noticed any difference, what is it for?

of course, I've also just been sitting on it...I couldn't wait to get the bike, but will not be taking my MSF until next weekend - yes, I couldn't stop myself from starting with a 600 bike, but I'm stopping myself from screwing with it until after I'm through with the course

#2 ·
Are you pushing the key in at the same time? That's what I have to do to my Katana. Pull the bar as far as it will go, turn the key to the left and push in on the key. Not sure if your's is the same though.

#3 ·
yes, I'm pushing down and turning the key as I'm pushing on the left side towards the tank...but there's a point about midway where it starts to resist...

#5 ·
Parttime,

Congrats on your new bike! I just got my FZ6 yesterday, so far so good. Also, just wanted to complement you on your choice to take the MSF class, I've taken it twice and recommend it to any rider I come across, especially new ones. Ok, enough of that. I just went out to the garage and tried locking my bars, here's the steps I took and it worked ok:

1. Put key in and push down.
2. Twist key to the left (counter clockwise) toward the locking position.
3. At the same time you're twisting the key, twist handle bars to the left.

After I did that the key just clicked right in and the bars were locked. I know on some other bikes I've had, if I turned the bars too far left it wouldn't lock so I'd have to jiggle it to get it to lock. Not sure if that's your issue or not, but thought I would offer that perspective.

If that doesn't work and you're all out of options definitely go back to your dealer and have them check it out. They owe it to you to give you a solid bike.

Just out of curiosity, where'd you get yours from?

Cheers :cheers

#6 ·
hey...on my bike! the steering will only lock if the key is in the right way. often I have to take it out, turn it around and it locks straight away. Doesn't sound right, but actually does work. give it a try!

#7 ·
the key is the same on both sides for mine. to lock the bars, push all the way to the left, and if it doesnt lock, move the handlebars back and forth, while moving the key in and out, while turning the key. if the key is not seated correctly, it will not start. after a bit of this, the sweey spot should be found.

#8 ·
thanks all, I'll play around with it some more today...

biker6 - got mine at Stockton Honda Yamaha (that's up north, about 1 hour south of sac)

#13 ·
killernoodle said:
Yep, mine isnt hard at all to lock. All you have to do is turn the bars full lock left, push in the key and turn it. I didnt realize people are having problems with their steering locks.
Same here, it's effortless. And I always lock it when I get off. You just have to have the bars far enough to the left. Something doesn't sound right.

#15 · (Edited)
hmm...looks like I'll have to take her back to the dealer then...

yes, the middle part of my bars touch the tank...on both sides

I'll see if I can post pictures (edit: hope this works)

left side

right side

#18 ·
Double You Tee Eff with the bars dude?? That sucks yeah your bars shouldn't touch the tank... I mean think about it, if that's the case then everytime you were turning full right or full left at slow speeds you would ding your tank. That seems like a bad idea now doesn't it? haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.