Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if I could get some opinions here. Right now, I have a 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S. This year, Ducati has announced a newly redesigned Monster 1100S. It has the same engine as my current bike does, very similar suspension and similar brakes. The riding position is completely different.

I'm quite happy with my Hyper but I have to admit that I like the looks of the new Monster a lot better. I also think the riding position on the Monster would be better for hitting corners. You're a bit more tucked in and the riding position is sportier.

I have a good relationship with the local Ducati dealer and they're going to take my bike + a bit of cash as a trade in for the new Monster 1100S if I want.

What do you guys think? Can anyone offer some comments or advice?

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if I could get some opinions here. Right now, I have a 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S. This year, Ducati has announced a newly redesigned Monster 1100S. It has the same engine as my current bike does, very similar suspension and similar brakes. The riding position is completely different.

I'm quite happy with my Hyper but I have to admit that I like the looks of the new Monster a lot better. I also think the riding position on the Monster would be better for hitting corners. You're a bit more tucked in and the riding position is sportier.

I have a good relationship with the local Ducati dealer and they're going to take my bike + a bit of cash as a trade in for the new Monster 1100S if I want.

What do you guys think? Can anyone offer some comments or advice?
I think the HyperMotard handles better than the Monster. The disadvantage of the L-twin is that it is a long engine and thus tends toward too much rear weight bias; the Monster in particular has a light front end. The more forward riding position of the Hyper helps balance that better.

I do agree that the Monster is prettier than the Hyper. But I'd pick the Hyper if I was buying a new bike right now. See if he'll let you take a test ride on the Monster and see if you like it.

PhilB

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
The grass is always greener.....

The hyper is by all accounts a hell of a bike, and I wouldn't make that trade personally. But, whatever floats your boat.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
We've got a hyper and love it, and I also like the Monster... But I don't see the point in trading between the two.

If you've got an itch for something different then the hyper, you should add a second bike, preferably completely different, like an R-6, Speed triple, etc.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
I'd keep the Hyper...but that's just me.

·
Canyon Assault Vehicle
1,299 Posts
That new 1100S is looking pretty good to me, too....but that's just because I am crazy, and am always looking at bikes....I say ride it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd also keep the Hyper over the Monster, unless the comfort or something of the Hyper really bugs you and the Monster fits you better.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I would personally keep the Hyper as the Monster screams old man to me.
Damn kids! Get the hell off my lawn! :D

PhilB

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Throw some muddin' tires on the Hyper and use it how it should be.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's guys like PhilB that make me want to get a Monster. It looks like he has had his bike since it was almost brand new and has a ton of miles on it. I want to do something like that and the Monster just seems like a better platform than the Hyper. The modding potential to make a custom Monster is almost limitless. I've only seen a few custom Hypers out there and they don't look that nice in my opinion.

The other thing is that I'd like to take some longer trips and I think the Monster would be better for that. The riding position has you down a bit more and hiding behind the tank and flyscreen. On the Hyper, you're just sitting up there taking the full force of the wind. I did a 400 km ride on my Hyper earlier this year and I was just beat.

There's a few reasons I want the Monster I guess. I bought the Hyper as a demo with 1,500 kms on it and that really bothers me. For some reason, I don't like the idea that a bunch of people rode my bike before I did. They probably didn't treat it very well either.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
It's guys like PhilB that make me want to get a Monster. It looks like he has had his bike since it was almost brand new and has a ton of miles on it. I want to do something like that and the Monster just seems like a better platform than the Hyper. The modding potential to make a custom Monster is almost limitless. I've only seen a few custom Hypers out there and they don't look that nice in my opinion.

The other thing is that I'd like to take some longer trips and I think the Monster would be better for that. The riding position has you down a bit more and hiding behind the tank and flyscreen. On the Hyper, you're just sitting up there taking the full force of the wind. I did a 400 km ride on my Hyper earlier this year and I was just beat.

There's a few reasons I want the Monster I guess. I bought the Hyper as a demo with 1,500 kms on it and that really bothers me. For some reason, I don't like the idea that a bunch of people rode my bike before I did. They probably didn't treat it very well either.
Yes, I bought mine new and have been riding it daily for the last 15 years. Part of the reason it's done so well, I think, is that I have NOT modified it much; I've just ridden it.

You're right out in the wind on a Monster as well. I prefer that, and am fine for 5-600 miles per day on mine, but I think I'd be the same on the Hyper. If you want more wind protection for traveling, you'd be better to look at a MultiStrada or an ST4s or some such.

The aesthetic thing is your own personal taste, and cannot be argued with. If you really just like the Monster's style a lot better, then obviously you should make the trade. The other stuff is mainly rationalization; sounds like you know what you want to do, so just do it, and be honest with yourself that you're doing it because you just want to.

PhilB

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
Every Ducati dealer I've been to will let you test any bike.

Go try it out. If you don't use the Hyper like you're supposed to, you'll probably have more fun on the M.

Of course, if that's the case, you might have even MORE fun on the 10 or 8 SBK.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
I bought the Hyper as a demo with 1,500 kms on it and that really bothers me. For some reason, I don't like the idea that a bunch of people rode my bike before I did. They probably didn't treat it very well either.
You're one of those guys that wants all your girlfriends to be virgins right? Look man, it just means your bike knows what its doing because it had previous practice. Its better for you!

Anyway, no one bike does it all. There is always gonna be one thing a bike does better. If you want something for longer rides and to make 'your own' buy a used bike and build it up. I bought my VFR for $3200 and fixed it up. I have no fears about how long it'll last because its now been gone over thoroughly. Keep the hyper for the fun, twisty hooligan stuff. :cheers

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts

It seems to me like you want one bike to do everything for you, and that's probably something that's going to be hard to come by.

Longer trips?? Yah, the Monster would be better than the Hyper by a smidgen, but neither are going to be as nice as an ST4 (which I don't think they make this year).

If you want a Ducati that does it all, the Multistrada is probably your best bet. I would LOVE to have a Multistrada. I know it's kind of...um...ugly...but to me it's ugly in a good way. And it seems like it would be the best "Jack of All Trades" bike in Ducati's stable.

With that said, you should go try out the Monster. Who knows, maybe you'll ride it and decide immediately that it's not for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts