Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling my truck, it gets horrible gas mileage, and around here with these narrow roads is just too big for it's own good. I still need a way to haul around my bikes though. So what I'm thinking is getting a dual open air bike trailer and a early 90's Mercedes diesel or something similar. I've seen pics on the web of a Ford Probe towing a Harley on a trailer and other similar cars. What all is involved with adding a tow hitch onto a regular car? Any other advice, I figured I'd get the diesel because of reliability and torque, but if anyone has any other suggestions (Euro-Spec cars will be alot easier for me to find here, so keep that in mind).

How much (roughly) do you think it would cost to add a tow hitch to a car?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used to tow a trailer with my VW Corrado and it did just fine. I got it installed at a trailer supply place. I don't know if U-Haul is over where you are but they're supposed to have pretty good prices on receivers for cars.
I paid under $200 (can't remember how much but not more than 200 installed). I'm sure a Mercedes diesel would do the job just fine. I've seen Toyota Corollas tow small enclosed trailers with 1 or 2 bikes in them so I'm sure almost any car will work, it probably just took forever for them to get up to speed in that small car.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, that's what I was looking for, someone to respond who has done it before. I've seen Corrados for sale cheap around here, although I'd probably go for something a little b***** for space to haul more spares/tires/gear/etc. Thanks for the response!

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i;ve towed w/ the miata before... :cool:

the camry is the tow vehicle now......... :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used to tow my 9R with a '98 Nissan Sentra. Just make sure you get a good hitch installed and a very lightweight trailer. The main thing you have to worry about is messing up the transmission on the car.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've got an '84 CRX with an Integra swap and it does nicely pulling my 4x6 trailer with my RF900 strapped down; best mileage....38mpg....with trailer and bike in tow, 34mpg!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't have any pics of my car, trailer and bike set up, but I'll try and post them as soon as I get some taken; btw, here's a link for pics of other car, trailer, and bikes set up......

·
Registered
987 Posts
The toyota celeca had a rated towing capasity of 2000 pounds unfortunatly that is the same as my truck as I got the automatic transmission. One thing to look at is toung weight when picking a trailer and car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts