Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first got into motorcycling basically wanting to be the next Valentino Rossi and then when that was too expensive/unrealistic I switched to almost dedicated street riding. Over the years I continually fluctuate between enjoying the ride on the street at a somewhat relaxed pace to craving going balls to the wall on the track and I feel like its a constant see- saw that will probably never end.

Anyone else go through the same thing or has your riding style been fairly consistent?

·
Registered
848 Posts
IN my, teens and twenties I was as fast as my equipment was. Compared to todays standards, it was very slow but we thought we were flying. Street and dirt.

30's stopped dirt
40's started more steet, got back into dirt to

With surgeries and age, I have cleaned up my act and actually became quicker and much cleaner riding with few suprises, less pavement conditions.

Best decade of riding was between 40 and now at 50 and still running on that high.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Used to ride balls to the wall on the street, then I did my first trackday and slowed way down. I also used to do a lot of touring. Ended up switching to track only for a year and a half, and now I'm back on the street again doing long day rides. Got a 1500-1600 mile ride coming up next week.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I first got into motorcycling basically wanting to be the next Valentino Rossi and then when that was too expensive/unrealistic I switched to almost dedicated street riding. Over the years I continually fluctuate between enjoying the ride on the street at a somewhat relaxed pace to craving going balls to the wall on the track and I feel like its a constant see- saw that will probably never end.

Anyone else go through the same thing or has your riding style been fairly consistent?
This is me. Street-Track-Both-Cruiser-Street-both Im never content, I dunno why. Like I said in a previous post, I just decided to buy the least practical bike I could think of. Makes every kind of ride more exciting :cheers

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I always like to be as competent as I can with what I do. So, I was thought giving the track a try was the next logical step. I went, I liked it a lot. I don't make enough $ to just keep going and going and going, like so many can. Then I got a bike that is A LOT better on the track than my ZZR1200 was and now they only hold 2 track weekends, instead of 7. I actually think that's fine, though. I'll get back on it when I can, until then I'm just reciting what the ride instructors said when they gave me the little of bit of coaching that they did. (They didn't seem overly concerned about helping me out.)

So, until my next track days pick up or I start making more $ to get to go to further away tracks I'm content with street riding and I have gotten much better at it than I used to be, thanks to the track. I like exploring new roads and seeing new things. Not much on the touring aspects just nice big 350 - 400 mile one day rides that I record and post up on a motorcycle roads site, with video & audio.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My introduction to track days a few years ago slowed me down on streets.

Still do a moderate amount of riding. Changed jobs in November, and now I no longer commute with a bike. (a Very Good thing, as I have discovered)

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I have stopped riding in town unless I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
not really. I ride as much as I can. my bike is my therapy, so to speak. it's not really that much for me to put on 4-600 miles a weekend. I like the fun roads, but they are few and far between here, and so it's a bit of a rare thing.

but I don't see myself ever really quitting or changing my style.
I'm not overly aggressive on the street, and there aren't many if any close tracks, so I'll probably never be all that fast. but, such is life.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Like Predator said - my bike is my therapy. Okay, I commute a lot more by bike now than I did 20 years ago (basically every day), but my favorite type of riding hasn't changed (riding the smaller curving rural roads just for fun on weekends, with no destination in mind). I just do more of it (letting the ex-to-be stay in the house got me into a condo with no outside work to do, freeing up more riding time - I WON!!). :) Looking forward to it changing though - found a sweet woman who likes to ride with me, and I'll retire in 18 months and she and I will be doing some nice day / weekend / long rides. Life is good and getting better!

jZ

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Went from wheelies to wheelchairs pretty much. I still ride alot but tinker and experience more with the things I never had a chance to ride before. So far I have owned pretty much every "realistic" dream bike I dreamed of.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I've only been riding for about 4 MN seasons now, but have always been street/track, regardless of bike (250R->GSX-R600->848).

I can't see ever giving up street, even though now the 848 officially does triple duty as I got my CRA racing license last weekend. Actually just went on a short 2 hr ride earlier today on the 211s with the bike in half track-half street dress. :)

Always been a very cautious and mellow rider on the street. That will never change, as I've got a Class A CDL to protect.

-Christian

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've only been riding for about 4 MN seasons now, but have always been street/track, regardless of bike (250R->GSX-R600->848).

I can't see ever giving up street, even though now the 848 officially does triple duty as I got my CRA racing license last weekend. Actually just went on a short 2 hr ride earlier today on the 211s with the bike in half track-half street dress. :)

Always been a very cautious and mellow on the street. That will never change, as I've got a Class A CDL to protect.

-Christian
Ya bud don't lose that.

I let my class B full endorsements go just so I could take traffic class if I do get a yellow paper trophy

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have never been a commuter. Pretty much a weekend rider. Started with canyons but once I rode the track I spent less and less time on the streets.

Finally turned my R6 into a track bike because I was rarely riding it on the street and it is really not practical for street riding.

Bought my DRZ400 so I still had an option for riding on the street but I just putt around town on it. :lgh2

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been road racing besides commuting and hooligan riding (Deals Gap is heaven). The horrendous city potholes and dented rims the other indicated time for a switch. Enduro and supermotard are excellent for ripping around the city with little concern for potholes and speed bumps now being jumps. Instead of feeling it in the knees after long sportbike rides it is the elbows after ripping around the city.

Take advantage of what is presented... and have fun!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Always been a weekend thrill rider. The street is my track. But I was planning on taking it easy this year, but I can't do it, when I see a curvy piece of road I need to attack it.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I used to tour a lot but then I got an airplane.

I used to commute on the bike, but now I walk.

I used to ride with confidence, but now I'm inordinately paranoid. I used to have to initiate an escape maneuver once in a while. Now I do it just about every ride.

I used to think it would be cool to ride a sport bike. Now I think it's Odin-awful uncomfortable, but I don't like riding anything else because nothing else is as good at getting out of the way.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My riding style has always been conservative and practical. I sold my car and truck after I bought my first bike. At one time I had several bikes in my garage. 14 years later, I have a single s1000rr. Two wheels forever.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I noticed that when I drive my truck I've slowed waaaay down. Middle lanes on the highway doing the speed limit and like 5 over driving around town. Going from my 600rr to an 1199 has don't the total opposite for my riding style. Theres nothing sweeter than a highly tuned Vtwin growling as loud as it can. As much as I try not to, I always end up hanging off the seat and leaning into every corner like I'm at the track.

·
Registered
848 Posts
well,, i have never been very fast on the street, nor will i be. have no need to go fast on the street. i enjoy it no matter what i'm riding (except cruisers - they cause more doctor bills) and at any sane speed. Even though i love track days, don't really have the gear nor bike setup to go. :( I'm pretty conservative when it comes to riding cause i want to increase my chances of making it back to my girls safe n sound.

i ride to just ride and enjoy. I love bikes and so does my wife. WOOOOOT

1 - 20 of 26 Posts