Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking about doing a 520 change and i would also want to drop a tooth in the front and rais two teeth in the back. has anyone doe this and what would the effects be on my FZ.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I actually just did this mod about a month ago. I got the kit off of E-Bay and received Vortex sprockets and an RK chain. I like the look of the smaller chain, and it also weighs less than the stock. The rear sprocket also looks great. The only change that I made from stock is that I went with a 15 tooth front sprocket. I could definitely tell a difference in bottom end power, the front would pull up very easy, which I liked. It did have its drawbacks however. When I was going down the highway the RPMs were up really high at 70 MPH I was at almost 8000 I think. Also in the city I couldn't hit the right RPM, in second they were too high and in third I would be going too fast to be in the "right spot" so that I would have enough power to make an evassive move. I also had to worry about noise. I have Devils with the baffles removed. People could definitely here me coming on the highway, which is good. Because of the high RPMs I decided to put a 520 16 tooth on.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
johnnybravo08 said:
The only change that I made from stock is that I went with a 15 tooth front sprocket. When I was going down the highway the RPMs were up really high at 70 MPH I was at almost 8000 I think. Because of the high RPMs I decided to put a 520 16 tooth on.
All of that JUST from switching to a 15t front sprocket??? You were running the 46t rear?

46t IS stock, right? I get confused because Sum Of All Parts says stock is 48t. :bitchslap

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I just switched the front sprocket and stayed with the stock rear size which is 46 tooth. If you don't want to count the teeth go to the Yamaha website http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx and if you look at the rear wheel breakdown it tell you that the stock is 46 tooth. It may be hard to believe, but I think that swithching just the front sprocket to a 15 tooth and leaving the rear 46 made a huge difference. If your not sure get both sizes for the front, 15 tooth and 16. I think the front sprockets from Vortex are about 25 or 30 dollars. Thats what I have now and if I want to switch back to the 15 tooth it is very easy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just got my 15t Vortex front today, anxious to get it on there. Took 3 days to arrive, cost was 35 bucks, including shipping.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
FAZR6 stated with the 15/48t setup 70mph should = 7,000rpm. If I understand correctly, going to a 15/50t would increase the rpms at 70mph. I guess I'm confused at how a 15/46 would have higher rpms at 70mph than the 15/48... shouldn't it have lower?
FAZR6... I know you are doing the track thing now, but are you still using the bike for commuting or touring? I was sold on the 15/48t setup from your post in the previous thread, but johnnybravo08 sounds like he isn't happy with it because the rpms seem too high for daily life/traffic. What gives? Am I misinterpreting something or what?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
crx81 said:
FAZR6 stated with the 15/48t setup 70mph should = 7,000rpm. If I understand correctly, going to a 15/50t would increase the rpms at 70mph. I guess I'm confused at how a 15/46 would have higher rpms at 70mph than the 15/48... shouldn't it have lower?
FAZR6... I know you are doing the track thing now, but are you still using the bike for commuting or touring? I was sold on the 15/48t setup from your post in the previous thread, but johnnybravo08 sounds like he isn't happy with it because the rpms seem too high for daily life/traffic. What gives? Am I misinterpreting something or what?
Almost sounds like he's running in 5th instead of 6th.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Got the 15t on last night and took it for a ride.. I do like this sprocket so far. Even got into trouble for riding at 11pm in the rain. :dblthumb . Only noticed a 3-500 increase in rpm in 6th gear. Also finished up a manometer and synched the throttle bodies. Smooth as silk now!

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
I just did a 520 conversion, consisting of a 15/49 sprocket combo. At first I was kinda dissapointed with 1st gear, but in 2nd and 3rd gear the bike pulls alot harder. But today after doing some more riding I have become found of the 15/49 combo. With the stock sprockets the front end would lift alittle at higher RPMs during full throttle accel., but now it lifts alot higher.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did the 15/48 sprocket change yesterday! feels like a different bike! really like it! revs are up and definately need a speedo healer! but so far so good! much more fun to ride..! still got to see what it does to my fuel economy...expecting a drop, but hopefully not too drastic.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I got new tires put on tuesday and while they were at it I had them put on my new chain & sprockets. I'm now at a 15/50 setup (stayed with the 530 chain though) and it feels a lot differant. The low-mid range has definatly increased, I'm sure if I tried I could pick the front end up real easy ..... I just don't want to, I bought a motorcycle not a unicycle :lol
Had to set my speedohealer to a -20.2 setting, without it I was reading 89 speedo 70 GPS (roughly). I'm sure my MPG is going to drop but the new setup solved the problem I wanted to fix, 60-80 top gear speed roll-on. The stock setup was just too damn slow.
The 15/50 setup puts you at about 7.5k rpm at 70, so you basically cruise right at the start of the powerband.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts