Sport Bikes banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Oh, I agree. My point was, if there wasnt such a focus on the stereotypical hd deciple, maybe the bikes themselves would be more fairly evaluated by the other biking communities. I have several friends who ride HDs, but they're not the type of rider that is usually encountered around here. They just ride.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There is a huge market for well-off guys (and women) who are past middle age and have the mortgage paid off. Once past middle age the warranty is off and the body is falling apart with arthritis, high blood pressure, diabetes etc. Not wanting to ride a motorcycle in a racer's crouch with stiff suspension, a cruiser bike is the perfect answer with a testosterone boosting huge push-rod V-twin; big torque and sound, and one can cruise along without losing the driver's license. It's not all about 'posing' or 'lifestyle', just about feeling good.
- And (me being in good shape for an old guy) I would love to take that XR1200 in the Youtube vid (see previous post) for a zip along a country back-road around here.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The hard part about owning an H-D is getting away from the poser, I'm a hells angle want to be.

I ride with a nice group here in Greensboro, we have all the major brands of cruisers, and this group really rides. During the summer months me at 8am for breakfast and KSU at 9am and we don't get back into town till 5-6 pm.

·
Registered
848 Posts
There is a huge market for well-off guys (and women) who are past middle age and have the mortgage paid off. Once past middle age the warranty is off and the body is falling apart with arthritis, high blood pressure, diabetes etc. Not wanting to ride a motorcycle in a racer's crouch with stiff suspension, a cruiser bike is the perfect answer with a testosterone boosting huge push-rod V-twin; big torque and sound, and one can cruise along without losing the driver's license. It's not all about 'posing' or 'lifestyle', just about feeling good.
QUOTE]

I'm dreading the day i can't ride something leaned over.... i'm screwed cause there isn't a cruiser made that is comfy for my back/chest. found that out in my early 30's. sigh....

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm dreading the day i can't ride something leaned over.... i'm screwed cause there isn't a cruiser made that is comfy for my back/chest. found that out in my early 30's. sigh....
I had my friend's Fat Boy for a month. A bike with mid-control and a reasonable handlebar isn't bad at all. When I had my Dyna, I couldn't get off it after a 75 mile ride, my back was so jacked up.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Yeah I don't get it. You're going to complain about Harley and tariff's and then turn a blind eye to the Japanese domestic market which is one of the most protected and controlled? :shrug Maybe educate yourself?

Trade policy of Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm American, not Japanese. I'm concerned about the American company's malfeasance, the one with the screaming eagle and "American Heritage" plastered over everything they sell. I don't really care that you don't think I should care about it.

KeS

·
Registered
848 Posts
I had my friend's Fat Boy for a month. A bike with mid-control and a reasonable handlebar isn't bad at all. When I had my Dyna, I couldn't get off it after a 75 mile ride, my back was so jacked up.
i feel your pain. rode a Heritage Softtail special whsfjhbjhbfjhbfjhbw cop bike for not even 1 mile and i couldn't get off the bike fast enough. Owner wanted me to ride it past him so he could hear his new exhaust. it took me riding the 15 miles home on the Busa to get straightened out so i could enjoy my evening instead of popping motrin. i tried riding other cruisers and they all (so far) have jacked me up one way or another... usually includes having a hard time getting out of bed the next day. Not because i'm tired, but my back had decided it is my best interests to stay put and quit the F moving around.

have never had a problem on any of my bikes... even the 04 750 which was wayyyy leaned over (ass high, front dropped).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Personally I like the look of the XR1200, and wouldn't mind taking a spin on one.

Then again, I am a big fan of an upright riding position (not to be confused with any sort of riding position that puts my feet in front of me).

As for Honda, they have only just now releasing a bike I am interested in (CBR500), and for me its a day late and a dollar short. I prefer the powerband of a twin vs. a I4, and prior to this, Honda really only brought the 599 (or 919) to the table for an upright standard.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
It's basically the same as a Ducati Monster 1100, only without the ability to rev as high (the curves roughly match up until redline), and with a bit less lean angle. Given my experience with both makes, the H-D is probably more durable, just not as much fun.

But I refuse to buy another bike with a polyamide fuel tank.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
It's basically the same as a Ducati Monster 1100, only without the ability to rev as high (the curves roughly match up until redline), and with a bit less lean angle. Given my experience with both makes, the H-D is probably more durable, just not as much fun.

But I refuse to buy another bike with a polyamide fuel tank.
... and that doesn't handle as well, and has an extra 150 pounds strapped to it.

Either of them will be very durable if you don't get a bad example.

I did enjoy my testride on an XR1200, but like the BMW R1200R -- they may be naked sporty-ish 2-cyl bikes, but neither of them is a Monster.

PhilB

61 - 73 of 73 Posts