Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its not really a "sport bike" But the harley xr1200x that they had out for 2012 was a NICE BIKE..

And I cant help but wonder why they didnt bring it back for 2013

Its probably one of harleys best handling bikes they have come out with yet... Ive even seen videos of people doing track days on them and doing very well... so what gives? its hard to believe that it wouldnt have sold well

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
I'm surprised that you didn't see that coming. HD didn't sell many and couldn't justify making them anymore. I'm surprised that they made it in the first place being that they had no clue on how to sell a Buell, so why did they bother thinking outside of their little box? I'm still bitter about that. HD isn't known for power, handling or innovation and their customers don't expect it. It's all about image and status.

·
Registered
272 Posts
From my understanding they were heavy and underpowered. They handled well....for a Harley, which doesn't mean much because they're all cruisers. The XR1200 reminds me of a mid 80's sportbike.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
The Street Rod was only around for a year or 2, also. WTF else is new with that company and a bike in their lineup that can moderately handle?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not sporty enough for sportbike guys...too sporty for Harley/cruiser guys. The price voted anyone else off the island.

I will own one someday soon probably... In addition to my 3 other bikes..lol

·
Spiffy...
2,345 Posts
Harley had their chance at the NA market for sport bikes with Eric Buell. They threw it away like a 2 year old throws a fork down from their high chair when eating steak. If / when I am in the market for a cruiser, I will consider a HD. But I doubt that I will choose one compared to the other options in that market. One cannot deny that the build quality and focus on their paradigm is great, they simply do not consider economy well enough. My opinion. They make great cruisers, but the cost... Too much. As far as sportier? They had a shot. They blew it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Didn't those have the dreaded plastic fuel tank problems, ie swelling and such?

I looked at one just one time. The attention to detail sucked and the dealer made me feel unwelcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I had a ride on a buddys XR when we swapped bikes on a ride last sumer and actually I thought it was pretty entertaining. He has a set of V&H cans on it and a few suspension mods. I thought it was a pretty good bike, as I hopped on it with expectations based on his description of how it performs. I can't say I'd ever buy one, but i sure wouldn't turn down another ride. Its nice that he's not a coolaid drinking HD fanatic, rather just someone who rides whatever he wants, like us. It allowed me to try the bike with a more open mind and just try it without bias. Better part of story is that he was blown away by my street triple, and is now interested in picking up a '13. :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
First off most motorcycle enthusiasts buy a sporting bike as a template to work with; lots of after-market mods available. I can guarantee you that in a crowd of cookie cutter sport bikes the Harley XR1200 will get the most admiring looks. If I owned one I would do what most sport-bike owners do; some engine tuning and exhaust mods, premium shocks and fork tuning, and some other after-market goodies. The Harley has fantastic mechanical feel and sound, and a torquey motor that responds to mods. Not everyone is interested in ultimate hp which is useless in the real world of street riding IMO.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
I had a ride on a buddys XR when we swapped bikes on a ride last sumer and actually I thought it was pretty entertaining. He has a set of V&H cans on it and a few suspension mods.
This is why. I test-rode one a few years back... I'm pretty sure that the shocks were made out of cheese.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If you're going to redo the entire motor and suspension, probably the seat and controls too... the poor person in my says to just buy an 70s-80s sports bike with a blown motor for next to nothing instead of buying a modern bike that looks and performs like one for full modern day retail. Sure the modern day components may have an advantage off the show room floor, but if you're replacing them all anyway...

·
Registered
848 Posts
well, we can thank HD and their infinite wisdom for getting rid of Buell. NOW, Erik can really get down to business and make an SS. The future looks really bright.

·
Registered
743 Posts
well, we can thank HD and their infinite wisdom for getting rid of Buell. NOW, Erik can really get down to business and make an SS. The future looks really bright.
It was really stupid of them to buy that talent and then shackle it... If you're going to diversify then diversify. Of course a sport bike division is going to fail if you prevent t them from making competitive bikes lol. I lost any remaining respect I had for them with that.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's really strange how Erik Buell is now some kind of folk hero. There's only one reason Harley shut down Buell, it's because he wasn't selling enough bikes. He cost Harley a lot of money investing in R&D for racing technologies that didn't have a great reason to be on street bikes (fuel in the frame? :afraid). He also made a ton of really crappy bikes, including the Blast.

Harley also owned MV Agusta for a while, and did invest heavily in them. For all you fans of the F3, Brutale 675, etc. can probably thank Harley for it's involvement in that company, but of course you'll never admit they did anything right.

If you are interested in sporty Harleys, I'd really recommend the Street Rod VRSCR over the XR1200. It's got a more sporty engine with the inverted fork and lean angle clearance you'd expect on a sporty bike.

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
First off most motorcycle enthusiasts buy a sporting bike as a template to work with; lots of after-market mods available. I can guarantee you that in a crowd of cookie cutter sport bikes the Harley XR1200 will get the most admiring looks. If I owned one I would do what most sport-bike owners do; some engine tuning and exhaust mods, premium shocks and fork tuning, and some other after-market goodies. The Harley has fantastic mechanical feel and sound, and a torquey motor that responds to mods. Not everyone is interested in ultimate hp which is useless in the real world of street riding IMO.

Ride a HD then go ride a Victory. You will feel ripped off that you overpaid and want a Victory if an all-American v-twin is your thing. I'm as open minded as they come, but I can't justify HD's lack of engineering. To make a HD fast you need some deep pockets.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts