Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know. Today my father in law was on the road stopped getting ready to make a left hand turn with his blinker on (in a two lane construction zone) and as he turned a guy on a harley hit him on the left front. From what my father in law said and the witness, the guy on the Harley passed him on the left side and and broadsided him. The guy on the Harley had a helmet and leather jacket with jeans. He had some road rash on his knees but other than that seemed to be ok. What in the hell was he thinking by passing on the left side and also in a construction zone? The guy on the Harley layed it down before he hit his truck but then got thrown. He hit hard enough to buckle the tie rod and do some body damage to the truck too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
are you drunk? because i am and this still did not make sense to me. He was in a turn lane and some smart guy tried to pass him on the left side?

·
Registered
981 Posts
i have no idea why people can even conceive thinking of passing on the left. some a-hole did that to me a few weeks ago and almost took me out. i was stopped ready to turn with my signal on and as i start to go, he flies around the left of me doing about 45-50mph inches away from my front tire.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Something wrong here. One passes on the left for that is normal. Passing on the right can be illegal. We are talking about normal two-lane roads correct? Then if it is four lane roads then the lane on the right is for slow traffic while the lane on the left is the PASSING lane.

Or are we in the UK or Jpn when this comes up on line?

Of interest a number of people in the small city of Penticton, B.C., Cdn., were FINED for passing on the right of a two lane road. It was highly publized as so many were making this error.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
IF(?) your signal light is blinking & indicating a left turn THEN no one is to pass you, but no signal light blinking & it is CORRECT to pass on the left.

I am on the hwy riding basically 5 days of the week & it amazes me how people on four lane roads will sit on the passing lane & hold on forcing me to go to the SLOW lane (to the right) to get by them. Even if I am scooting along well above the max speed limit I ride on the SLOW lane till I come upon one or several cages going much slower & then I signal to move over to the left on the passing lane, go by them, then signal I am moving to the slow lane & settle there well in front of them till next slow cage I come upon. SO if someone is moving faster then myself, will not find me hugging the passing lane.

·
Registered
981 Posts
he said 2 lane construction zone. meaning 1 lane each way. (from what i gather). if that is true, then the guy tried to pass on the left (opposite direction lane).

if it was a 4 lane road (2 each way), and ur taking a left turn, ur in the far left lane of your direction of travel. so again, if some1 were to pass u on the left then they would be on the wrong side of the road.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Smitty said:
IF(?) your signal light is blinking & indicating a left turn THEN no one is to pass you, but no signal light blinking & it is CORRECT to pass on the left.

I am on the hwy riding basically 5 days of the week & it amazes me how people on four lane roads will sit on the passing lane & hold on forcing me to go to the SLOW lane (to the right) to get by them. Even if I am scooting along well above the max speed limit I ride on the SLOW lane till I come upon one or several cages going much slower & then I signal to move over to the left on the passing lane, go by them, then signal I am moving to the slow lane & settle there well in front of them till next slow cage I come upon. SO if someone is moving faster then myself, will not find me hugging the passing lane.
Damn come to cali.... I shake my head every time I watch someon merge on to the Freeway... they'll Immedatly go to the left lane... and then do 5-10 mph under what everyone else is... it's like they think.... well if I drive in the fast lane... then I must be going fast! not the other way arround...

Personally.... I drive in the slow lane like you unless I'm passing... plus it seems cops don't notice you speeding as much...cause it just looks like your going arround one or two people... rather than everybody... it's saved me from ALOT of potential speeding :D tickets actually

·
Registered
359 Posts
Let's say the pickup was northbound. The motorcycle, also northbound ("From what my father in law said and the witness, the guy on the Harley passed him on the left side and and broadsided him."), attempts to pass the pickup on the left in spite of the fact that the pickup is signaling a left turn.

This is a surprisingly common crash scenario. It often occurs when the rider attempts to pass multiple vehicles and one further ahead turns left across his path.

The lesson: Assess the situation carefully before passing. If there's even an opportunity for a passee to turn left (into a driveway, say) before you can complete the pass, wait that extra few seconds until you're beyond it. If there's a large vehicle ahead, it may be obscuring another vehicle that could turn across your path while passing. If a slow-moving vehicle is leading the parade you're trying to get around, he might be looking for an address, so you should expect BCA (bonehead cager antics).

BTW, another danger when you're following a parade is that a vehicle ahead of you will pull out to pass, too, and fail to notice you. And on that subject, while you're scanning the situation in front of you, it's possible that someone behind you--another rider, say--has beat you to the punch and already pulled out to pass. So be sure to signal and check your mirror and blind spot before pulling out to pass. If you don't have mirrors or turn signals, rely on your ESP to sense the presence of another passer and to communicate your intention.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
more explanation

It was a two lane road. Both my father in law and the bike were going the same direction. The Harley decided to pass him on the same side that his blinker said he was turning. Also, since when is it legal to pass in a two lane construction zone?

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
the harley doesnt know how to ride the bike.. he shoulda took the riders course.. dumbass

1 - 10 of 10 Posts