Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very new to wheelies. Just learning how to do it. First I was trying first gear power wheelies using the on-off-on method but I found I wasn't giving it enough gas I guess because I could only ever get it about 3 inches off the ground. It mainly just built up speed fast. So I decided to start trying clutch wheelies instead. I was practicing again for an hour or so today in a huge empty parking lot here. Clutching it in first gear only I can get it up fairly high and find it much more predictable. Anyway, my biggest problem then is that I always tend to turn the wheel to the left for some reason. I'm guessing it's the way I'm hitting the throttle and pulling on the bar or something, but I figured I would turn it to the right in that case, but I always turn to the left.

In any case, as you can imagine when it comes down I always get that jerk in the wheel. Hasn't led to a tank slapper or anything, just the sudden jerk as it pulls straight.

I'm wondering if anyone has tips on how to keep the wheel straight when I'm up. I'm guessing I should lock my arms straight before I come up? I sort of tried that once but it wasn't comfortable (keep in mind this is new to me anyway, so obviously I'm a little nervous doing this). Perhaps I should just get used to doing it with straight arms?? Any other tips on keeping the bars straight?

Thanks.

BTW, this is a 2001 F4i, stock gearing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
id suggest just keeping your right arm a bit stiffer, not straight. and scoot your butt to the right a BIT - by bit, i mean 1-2inches, dont go leaning over.

if that worsens it, try sitting 1-2inches to the left. depends on your fear response that's pulling the bars.

one thing to consider, you might not be pulling, yopu might be pushing your right hand forward as you roll on the throttle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
oh another suggestion.... find a marker in front of you - a light post for example

aim your bike STRAIGHT at it. (obviously put some major distance between you and the object)

stare directly where eye-level would be if you were standing on the object. or a marking that stands out from a distance.

when you go to wheelie, do not take your eyes off that marker. not even when setting it down. keep your eyes directly on it and nothing else. dont look at your bike at all, especially your forks. try that. it might be a mental thing. if it is, then this should correct it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NewSouthRyder said:
If the wheel comes down straight, I dont see the issue. You almost instinctivlely straighten it up as you come down.
Thats the problem, it doesn't come down straight. Comes down crooked and then jerks straight afterwards. I know one of these days it's going to develop into tank slappers if I don't start doing it correctly.

I'll try out the staring at a fixed point next time I'm out trying, thanks.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I have a trouble keeping the wheel down during a wheelie.:lao

I think you're tensing up and pulling on the handlebar when it's up thinking that you must balance your weight. Keep your elbows bent, try to relax and let the rear wheel do it's job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts