Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I currently live about 1/2 a mile from my college but in about 3 months I'll be moving about 15 miles away to save money on rent (literally $800+ a month so its worth it). I also live about 15 miles from my part time job, so with the move it'll be a 30 mile trip one way. Currently I commute on my bike to work wearing full gear with just a tank bag as I just need a change of clothes, and have a locker to store my leathers, helmet and boots. The problem is that if I start commuting to school everyday, I wont have anywhere to store my gear. I live in LA so b/c of traffic i would prefer to ride the 15 miles whenever it isnt rainy ( I have a car too).

Im pretty much dead set on wearing my suit to commute, mainly because I prefer full protection all the time, especially with these shitty LA drivers.

Has anyone had any experience commuting with a hard tail bag like the e300 givis that have 30 liters of space? My plan at this point would be to store my backpack and lunch in the tailbag for the commute and put my 2 piece suit/boots in the tailbag when I park it at school. Would this type of tailbag have enough space to at least store a full 2-piece leather suit?

My main concern is the suit, because Im fine with wearing my boots around campus as theyre pretty comfy, and I can manage carrying a helmet around too. I just dont wanna lug around a suit or have to wear my jacket while running around campus for classes. Thanks for any inputs or even other suggestions if you guys have any.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
You'll wish you got a b***** one if you go with a 30L. For what you're planning on doing with it, that 30L case just won't cut it and you'll regret not going b*****. I have a Givi E45, which is 45 liters. I do basically the same thing as you and have trouble fitting everything in. The backpack (which is usually loaded up with a laptop and a few books) plus lunch fits in okay, but not much room to spare. All of my gear won't fit in the top case (fortunately, I also have side cases as well!), and it is 50% larger than the case you're considering.

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
I use a 46l top case and 21l side cases, all Givi. Top case can hold two helmets (and nothing else). And the smaller side cases are great for lane splitting, including those lovely tight sections through downtown LA. :)

But a two piece leather suit? There is a top case in the 50l+ range you might try.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You might be better off buying a length of chain and running it through the arms and legs of the suit and padlocking it to the bike then covering it to protect them from the elements. A full suit will take up a LOT of space.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn guess I'm under estimating how big top cases are :/ I didn't even think about running chain through my leathers that's actually a great idea. I'm still going to check out some cases at my local shop, but most likely that seems like a what ill go for. The main reason I wanted the top case is the locking security but chaining my leathers and throwing my cover over it sounds pretty solid

Sent from my DROID3 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Rather than a chain, check out ski rack locks. They are a 30-36" stainless cable that retracts into a combination lock. Not bulletproof but generally ok for casual use, and they are just long enough to run through a sleeve of a jacket and the chinbar of a helmet.

KeS

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Hepco Becker sport rack/EMGO travel trunk.
Took the backpack off my back.Carry a hanger for suit,work shoes,xxl cover and spare socks,etc.
Have two trunks,one for work,one for after.Extra mount is on bicycle rack!
I don't want anything wider than my shoulders,so I can split lanes.
I mounted it sideways so it faces the kickstand side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts