Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been intending to post a video link to a complete tire change with the simple and cheap equipment I have been using to change tires. Unfortunately, I don't have video yet, but I have pics from the last couple of buddies' tire changes.

The equipment I use is a harbor freight tire change stand with motorcycle attachment (although I have never used the attachment), and a No-Mar mount/demount bar. The red bar you will see in some pics came with the harbor freight setup.

I altered the geometry of the stand by removing the bottom U channels in order to get more leverage. Before doing this, my bolts would pull right out of about 8 inches of concrete which made for a long evening. The way it sits now, it only takes a couple of seconds to break a bead and it is pretty much effortless. I built a simple box out of 2x4 to lift the wheel even closer to the bead breaker and it also keeps rotors/wheel rims off the floor.

For illustration, the channels I removed are pictured here with the box and bottom of the bead breaker. I add some duct tape to contact points to help lessen the chance of damage.

Breaking the bead...a wider angle.

Once the bead gets broken, I place it on the stand to remove the tire. I start by using the red bar with milk container cut up and folded to protect the rim. The no-mar tips tend to break off and that could get ugly given the right circumstances....so stick with the red bar for demounting. I add some soapy water around the rim to make life easier.

After I get a lip over the rim, I sneak in a sturdy screwdriver to hold the lip while I weasel the red bar on around to get one whole side of the tire off the rim. Again, I use another piece of a milk container.

You might have to take the red bar out to get another bite on the tire. Careful not to go to far away from the original opening as it will be a lot of stress on the rim.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After the first half of the tire is off the rim, I am able to lift the other side over fairly easily with only elbow grease.

Now that the tire is all the way off, it is time to mount the new rubber. Some wheels are directional, so I make note of which way the tire is supposed to sit on the rim...(there are little arrows on tires for those who didn't know).

Anyways, mounting is pretty simple as well. I spray soapy water on the side of the tire facing down so it is easier to slip over the rim. This is done easily by hand. For the side facing up, I only spray about 2/3 of the tire and rim. This is so the tire will not move around when I am trying to get that last little bit stretched over the rim.

I think I mentioned earlier that I use a No-Mar brand mount tool for putting the tires on the rims. I am able to put tires onby myself, but it helps to have someone hold the tire while I use the mounting bar. There are other items you can buy to assist inthe mounting processs, but it can be done without them.

The important part to this step and this particular mounting bar is to keep pressure onthe end coming towards me as I walk around the rim getting the tire to stretch over the rim. When you get to about the last 15% roughly, it gets real tight, but when you feel it get tight, I give a a good bit of oomph and it pops right on.

These last 2 pics are for illustration...it's hard to mount the tire and take pics, but hopefully you get the idea.

Hopefully this helps someone.

I would encourage anyone with a little bit of garage space to give it a try. I only spent around $300 or so...maybe 4? I also have a nice balancer from no-mar but that's a whole 'nother thread. The only downers about it that I have found is that my once nice garage floor is gooped up pretty good right under the changer....but that is easy enough to fix. I attached it to the floor with removable bolts, so it is able to be taken up if I ever need my space back.

·
Registered
417 Posts
very nice.. thx for the illustration.

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
man I don't ever think I will be up to change tires anytime soon...

...I've seen others post their set up, and it just seems like the most friggin tedious process ever.

·
* * Maximum n00b * *
82 Posts
you can let the bottom U channel.
bolt the changer to 2x4 and the 2x4 to a 4'x4' plywood sheet( 1 1/2" 4x8 cut in two so you use both part to make it more rigid.)

you attach the changer in the corner of the 4'x4' so you're walking on the plywood while working on it

that way you can move as you want and doesn't take space. ;)

Been changing tire with this setup for 3 years at a friend place and work great!

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Its funny, I run tubeless tires on my mountain bike and its the same thing. Just more pressure required for the motorcycle obviously. I can break the bead on a MTB tire with my hands alone.

However, mounting costs if you buy a tire from a shop are next to nothing (assuming you bring the wheels in) so I can only see this if you do a lot of track days and change tires REALLY frequently. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
His secret is that he shaves himself sexy smooth and brews his own beer.

Good stuff man. I need to bring the Busa down for you to install your favorite tires - SHINKOS. lol

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

However, mounting costs if you buy a tire from a shop are next to nothing (assuming you bring the wheels in) so I can only see this if you do a lot of track days and change tires REALLY frequently. Or am I missing something?

On the bike these guys want $90 around here. Off the bike I think it was $60? Its been a while so I don't remember exactly for off the bike, but the problem is I live about 50 miles from the dealer. I rarely go to that town, plus my shop is open whenever I turn the lights on, there is no waiting in line for hours, I know the balance is good, and the wheels were put back on properly and my rims don't get all scratched up.

And yeah, between my riding buddies and I, we go through several sets a season. I'd guess just this season this changer has seen a dozen sets roughly.

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

...I've seen others post their set up, and it just seems like the most friggin tedious process ever.
Maybe I'll capture some video in the future and post that...it's really simple..

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can let the bottom U channel.
bolt the changer to 2x4 and the 2x4 to a 4'x4' plywood sheet( 1 1/2" 4x8 cut in two so you use both part to make it more rigid.)

you attach the changer in the corner of the 4'x4' so you're walking on the plywood while working on it

that way you can move as you want and doesn't take space. ;)

Been changing tire with this setup for 3 years at a friend place and work great!
Originally, I thought about mounting it to wood as well. Not a bad plan. I'm happy with being able to just remove for bolts from the floor and place it on a rack out of the way...whatever works man.

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
His secret is that he shaves himself sexy smooth and brews his own beer.

Good stuff man. I need to bring the Busa down for you to install your favorite tires - SHINKOS. lol
yeah I know how you hate that hair in your teeth:twofinger....
Bring itdown, we'llfix you right up...I got a universal rear stand and I put a couple of bolts in the ceiling joists to hoist the fronts of those that won't work with my front stand pins....

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Those the same bolts you hang the sex swing from?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts

It's not that bad at all. I change tires on my street bike and my track bike at stealthys. It saves money, stealthys place is open most weekends, and its a good excuse to hang out and drink beer.

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts