Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sorry if I don't explain my question well, but I don't quite understand all this myself just yet.

I have a problem hanging off the bike. I can't seem to get comfortable with the feeling of most of my weight hanging off that far.

when you're leaning off, I know that most of your weight should be on the inside peg (i've heard a 70/30 split is a good idea). well, I know I need to work on that and I have been, but is it possible (or should you at certain times) have your (body's) center of gravity past the inside of inside peg? as in, your center of gravity is farther inside the turn/bike than your inside foot is. so your weight is no longer over your inside foot.

I feel really unstable and quite scared when I start really loading up that inside foot, but a lot of that comes from trying to get a feel for hanging off the seat on the street. i have another track day this friday, hopefully i'll be able to start getting a better feel for this stuff, but someone explaining would help a lot.

and twist of the wrist is sitting on my coffee table waiting to be read.

·
Registered
43 Posts
some people say you should weight the outside peg, but that feels very awkward for me. ALL of your weight should not be on the peg. alot of your weight is being supported by your outside leg thats pressed up against the tank. not quite sure what you're getting at in your question, but your body should be leaning out past your inside foot.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can't seem to get the feeling of 'holding on' with my outside leg. when I put weight on the outside peg, I end up holding on too much with my hands.

i'm gonna get to reading that book.

·
Registered
308 Posts

Weight on the outside peg. Not only is it mentioned in Keithcode's books, but I hear it from many other experianced riders aswell. I showed the pic to kinda give you a general idea of how body postioning should be. You hang onto the gas tank with your outside leg, you're not gonna fall off, the centrifical force will keep you on the bike. I have yet to hear or see anyone falling of their bike doing this. Secondly when you lean foward (like you're trying to kiss the mirror) like this, when the bike accelerates there is no need to really grab onto the handlebars, because the forces of acceleration hold you perfectly in place! Just think of everything like you're just standing on the pegs and have to balance yourself on the pegs alone, I find that helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
pillaka said:

Weight on the outside peg. Not only is it mentioned in Keithcode's books, but I hear it from many other experianced riders aswell. I showed the pic to kinda give you a general idea of how body postioning should be. You hang onto the gas tank with your outside leg, you're not gonna fall off, the centrifical force will keep you on the bike. I have yet to hear or see anyone falling of their bike doing this. Secondly when you lean foward (like you're trying to kiss the mirror) like this, when the bike accelerates there is no need to really grab onto the handlebars, because the forces of acceleration hold you perfectly in place! Just think of everything like you're just standing on the pegs and have to balance yourself on the pegs alone, I find that helps.
That's right, weighting the outside peg helps to keep the rear from sliding out from under you.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yep, weight the outside peg. If you can, put the bike on stands and practice positioning. When moving, it won't be exactly the same but it is a good way to understand what's going on a little better.

·
Registered
775 Posts
mattg,

I am not as experienced on the track as most these guys, but was in your boat not long ago. I learned early on riding the twisties how to distribute my weight on the bike and get my rear off the seat, but actaully hanging off took a while. At my first track day I was still only getting my butt to the edge of the seat but didn't really get my whole body off. It is important to reducing the necessary lean angle though...hanging off more means less lean angle needed for the turn. I ended up just practicing on the street by exaggerating my hang off and then worked on it more during my second track day during which I got my knee down for the first time. For my 3rd track day I really tried getting my upper body off the bike more as I was developing a bad habit of crossing my head and shoulders back over the bike when I hung off. And then at the end of that day I crashed...but that was partially due to not hanging off enough. So I still have some work to do, but this is just how I have slowly progressed my comfort level with hanging off. Good luck!

I was also trying to weight the outside peg more like some of you have mentioned (just like Code says!). Do some of you more experienced guys remember what it was like getting used to this? It definitely seems ackward, but the few times I got it right the bike definitely felt much more planted in the turns.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
pillaka said:

Weight on the outside peg. Not only is it mentioned in Keithcode's books, but I hear it from many other experianced riders aswell. I showed the pic to kinda give you a general idea of how body postioning should be...
Great pic, excellent form, good advice, and very nice leathers! :cheers
Nice track bike, too.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
here is a good pic to show you the opposite side (the one with the weighted peg being on the outside) and to show you holding onto the tank with your outside leg. I beleive I have been doing it all along, but didn't realize it, I know when I try to weight the inside peg, it feels awkward to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nice pics, guys.

I'll whore it up by adding another pic to show the outside peg.

·
Registered
308 Posts
jk750 said:
I don't know what this shows, except that I'm a ho, too.
not to mention the best damn suit ever! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hanging off the bike

Hey mattg,

This may help.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
ok, so i had my first track day just recently and tried hanging off my bike.
My problem was i noticed my TOE would touch before my knee would??
whats my problem here? Obviously my foot postion is wrong..?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Warp9Racing said:
ok, so i had my first track day just recently and tried hanging off my bike.
My problem was i noticed my TOE would touch before my knee would??
whats my problem here? Obviously my foot postion is wrong..?
Are your resting the ball of your foot on the pegs or are you using the heel of your boots? If you are already doing this then the only other thing is that you probably aren't hanging off quite enough yet. I am sure the more experienced guys might have more for you...

·
Registered
43 Posts
redcbrla said:
Are your resting the ball of your foot on the pegs or are you using the heel of your boots? If you are already doing this then the only other thing is that you probably aren't hanging off quite enough yet. I am sure the more experienced guys might have more for you...
just like redcbrla said, your feet are not in the right position. the ball of your feet should be on the peg. if your feet are in the right position and you are still draggin boots, then you should definitely be draggin knee. sometimes when my feet are not in the right position, my boot & knee will touch down at the same time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
as far as i can tell i worked really hard on my foot postioning this year riding around on the street...i do notice however that the ball of my foot goes over the end of the peg, if that makes sense...i guess i mean to say the peg is more parrallel with my foot?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts