Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for about three weeks now. Passed the safety course and bought a SV650S. Practiced in Suburban Boston for three weeks and then got on the highway for the first time. I have to admit, I was horrified. Even though I have the small fairing with windshield, I felt like I was going to be blown off my bike at 65. Meanwhile, a guy passes me with a large woman on the back of his bike doing about 80 and holding on with one hand. Within 5 minutes I lost all circulation to my right hand. I suspect that I was probably holding on too tight out of fear as I don't lose circulation driving through my neighborhood. On the return trip I cramped up in about 5 minutes as well and had to pull over to get feeling back in my right hand. Is numbness like this common? Am I overreacting to the sensation that I will be blown off backwards. I wasn't tucked in behind the windshield, just leaning forward a bit. I'm not going back on the highway until I get more practice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Firm, non-clenching grip on the bars. Make sure your elbows don't lock out and your weight should be on your legs not your arms. Use the tank like a thighmaster for support. Sounds like your fighting the bike, learn to relax and use your body to guide it. Riding a bike is like flying, shooting a bow, subtle fluid movements.

Few other tricks others can tell you about.

Above all, fatigue on newer riders is common, the more your muscles get used to riding the less you will notice it. Plus you were anxoius during the ride, your muscles were more tense then you probably realized.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had the same problem when I first started riding. Once I relaxed and learned to enjoy the ride the numbness easied up. Wearing well padded gloves help out a lot.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
The search feature is your friend.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
^^ Just remember that this is the new guys' forum and they don't know all the board's features yet.

Hell, I've been on like 5 years and I still don't know most of them....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You

Thank you both for your responses. I was in fact locking my elbows, and I wasn't gripping the tank with my legs. Also, I figured out the search feature!

By the way, I've really loved learning to ride. I'm also glad that people are willing to help new riders...

·
Registered
336 Posts
this too shall come to pass. when i first learned to ride, i was scared to death of doing 25 on a GSXR-750. now 80 is...normal.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
tmkreutzer said:
^^ Just remember that this is the new guys' forum and they don't know all the board's features yet.

Hell, I've been on like 5 years and I still don't know most of them....
I just got done looking at the other thread. I did not even realize this was the newbi section. Sorry for that. :bitchslap :beer

·
Registered
791 Posts
ur hand went numb LOL I thought the sv650 was supposed to be one of the most comfortable bikes. I never had a hand go numb. Been riding 2 months and just last week my right wrist started hurting and every day I did about 100 miles and my ass was killing me. My butt never hurt before even on the day we did around 500 miles and i was a super newb on that day.

LOl i felt like i would blow off as well. That was HILARIOUS. Now i dont feel it at all unless I 1 handedly accelerate from a very slow speed. LOL one day ima fall off that way. Its not going to be pretty but it will be a funny sight.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
First thing , adjust the hand controls for yourself . While sitting on the bike your wrists should be straight while grabbing the brake and clutch . Then follow what the others have mentioned above .

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's pretty normal for a new rider, I think. I only recently resolved the issue myself. A lot of it simply has to do with being comfortable on a bike. If you are still so new that you are constantly white-knuckling it, you certainly will go numb quick. Once you are over that, practice on having as loose a grip on the handle bars as possible and using your back to support your weight and not rest on the bars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts