Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any feedback on towing an FZ6 with something like this?:

http://hhauler.com/

For around $300 I can get a class V hitch and one of these... I'm thinking I could drag my FZ6 with me on various vacations. However, I don't want to lose my ride either if she comes loose!

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wouldn't you have to worry about your transmission kept lubed up with the engine off? Or am I off my rocker?

Edit: Depending on how much towing I would need, I'd look into renting a UHaul trailer or something.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Spend a couple hundred extra bucks and get a small utility trailer from TSC (Tractor Supply Company). Way more versatile anyway.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
krushchev said:
Wouldn't you have to worry about your transmission kept lubed up with the engine off? Or am I off my rocker?

Edit: Depending on how much towing I would need, I'd look into renting a UHaul trailer or something.
Hmm.. I figuered if it was in neutral, what harm could be done?

I do have a utility trailer already, but it's such a pain to break out, I have to keep registering plates, pay like $3 at tolls instead of 50 cents, gas milage goes to crap with the trailer... Plus getting the bike on and off the trailer sucks too... That's why I'm thinking this might be sweet...

·
Registered
497 Posts
try something like this. there are 5 or 6 makers.

joehaulers

mototote

this way you dont have to pay extra tolls and you arent dragging your bike behind you.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have a mototote that I've used for my dirtbikes, but I would be too nervous to put the FZ6 on there. Too much weight and it's tricky getting it on without scratching the truck. I like the small trailer I have. It has proven to be very useful for many things. I can see the advantage to using the handy hauler as you are only carrying roughly half the weight of the bike.

·
Registered
816 Posts
narcoden said:
Hmm.. I figuered if it was in neutral, what harm could be done?
The manual states to avoid prolonged coasting with the engine off, even in neutral, or engine damage could occur. It relies on the oil pressure from the engine to lube the trans.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Do NOT use the handi hauler to tow the bike. It WILL spin the transmission to some extent, and with no oil pressure, BAD things will happen man. Bad things.

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
spartikus said:
i wonder if any of those above could be used with a car? i have a 2007 nissan altima any ideas?
You would need a class III reciever for one but I would be worried with that much extra ## on the rear of a car, I bet the front of the car be going strait up into the air. :lao

·
Registered
2 Posts
the thing wors great

Okay here's my situation. i was moving from north carolina to orlando to go to motorcycle mechanics institute. I had to get my expedition and my bike down here. i'm only one person. I didnt own a trailer. Uhaul wanted 300 dollars to rent one. i got on ebay and ran across a handi hauler. got it, got nervous about it since i had never seen anyone use one. so i did a google search and thats how i found this thread. I saw all the paranoid people saying dont use it dont use it. At this point i already dropped the 130 on the thing. So I strapped the bike to the thing and went with it. I straped the piss out of both sides of the handlebars to compress the front suspension as much as possible. a third strap goes around the front tire to the thing. so thats 3 straps. i put a cable lock through the front tire around my trailer hitch more for theft than for safty but all in all thats FOUR POINTS that would have to fail before your bike would have to fall off and get left in the road. So anyway. I put the bike in neutral and hoped for the best. I drove from cape hatteras north carolina all the way to orlando florida like this. 70+ mph down I-95 for about 11 hours strait with zero problems. the thing didnt budge. i passed several cops and not one even looked at it funny. when i got to florida i unloaded the bike. the next morning i rode it around and it rode fine. not one problem. i put the handi hauler in the back of the expedition and its been there every since. I ride the bike every day so it didnt do anything to the transmission or any of the BAD BAD THINGS that some of the people in here said it would. I consider it money well spent.

·
Registered
445 Posts
How does the engine and tranny share the oil... is it only injected or is it wet sump in the trany. bc if thats the case with the front in the air and oil all in tranny and tranny only thing turning you should be ok.... Some one let me know how oil goes from engine to tranny please. To lazy to look it up...

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
How does the engine and tranny share the oil... is it only injected or is it wet sump in the trany. bc if thats the case with the front in the air and oil all in tranny and tranny only thing turning you should be ok.... Some one let me know how oil goes from engine to tranny please. To lazy to look it up...
Short answer: gravity.

Long answer: it's a wet sump.

·
Registered
445 Posts
well dont get me wrong here but if its wet sump what would you be worried about... Wouldn't all the oil go to the tranny if front was up in the air???

PS i dont own one of these i will just ride the bike where need be or put in a truck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts