Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on a group ride next week (only the 2nd one I've been on since moving north), and I just got an email from one of the organizers that included a link to MSF's hand signal chart.

Most of them looked normal to me, except this one... they describe this as representing a high beam notification (though whether it's a warning to turn them off or on, I don't know). Everyone I've ever ridden with has used this signal to mean "the po-po are in the vicinity". I can see why MSF wouldn't have a signal for police presence, since they are supposed to be an authority figure and all that. But does anyone actually use this signal for high beams? Under what circumstances?

http://msf-usa.org/downloads/group_ride.pdf

(A little background, until I moved, for about the last 10 years I primarily rode with a great group of select friends. We used many of the signals in that chart, except nothing for high beams and the MSF high beam signal for police. Plus a few other custom signals and anything we chose to make up at the time for comedy relief.)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Thats def the popo signal to everyone ive ridden with. Spinning a finger above your head is regroup. And other than 'pass me' thats all I use

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm... spinning a finger in the air means "turn around" to me (to either make another pass on a cool section of road, or to go back the way we came).

·
Registered
417 Posts
All I know is the people in my state need to learn what the fuck a proper hand signal is, and it's not pointing at the ground with one finger. The first time I saw that I was stuck behind a stopped truck, and they just sat there with their finger out their window at a 90 degree angle, looking back at me. I took this as a "Go around me, I'm a fucking idiot" and nearly died.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thats def the popo signal to everyone ive ridden with. Spinning a finger above your head is regroup. And other than 'pass me' thats all I use
Agreed on all three. The finger in the air I've never used on a bike, but in the Army it was our signal for "Rally on me" when executing small squad group maneuvers.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Flicking your hi beams on and off is the standard "turn your hi beams off" signal here.

Tapping your helmet means cops. Though, one time I let a group of pirates know about a speed trap ahead by tapping my helmet as they passed, and the lead pirate gives me a shitty look and gives me the finger. I think he thought I was telling him to wear a helmet. Lol. Part of me really hoped they got pulled over.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assumed they meant the signal to be for others in your group, but yeah for oncoming traffic, I'd flash my lights to signal that their high beams are on, whether in my truck or on my bike. Though... I personally wouldn't signal another bike for that, since I tend to ride with my high beams on all the time, unless it's foggy, or at night and there is a lot of oncoming traffic. Even then, the world only gets one chance, and then the high beams come back on.

·
Registered
917 Posts
On the street, it means cops to me.

During N2 track days, it's the CR saying, "follow my lines."

I've known about the MSF definition for that hand signal, but I've always seen it used as slow down for cops.

·
What's a Gixxah?
1,129 Posts
That's definitely a strange one. I didn't even know there was a hand signal for high beams.

If I saw someone in the group do that I'd be looking around for a cop.

Funny you should post this today.

On my way to work today I was about to signal a rider coming the other way that there was a speed trap in the direction I just came from and when I went to put up my hand to tap my helmet I noticed a cop driving a little behind him. I didn't want to get caught so I kind of just panicked and pretended to itch/adjust my helmet. Felt like an idiot because the other rider and the cop gave me an odd look.

Edit: Typing it out doesn't make it as funny as I thought it was...Sorry guys.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
That depicted arm gestured is listed by the MSF as for announcing an emergency vehicle, but realistically people use to warn about cops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts