1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help a newbie out here....

YouTube - NESBA Summit Main 5-2-08

Q1:

Fast forward 9:47 into the video. Is the blue/white/black rider in front signaling he's coming off pace, pass me, or something else?

Q2:

I saw the CR's wave him by a couple times. Understand I'm not supposed to pass them without a wave in the B group. How do they know we're back there? Seems like they have eyes or ears in the back of their heads.

Thanks!

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Yeah...a hand is up indicating he is pitting in...or could be mechanical...essentially, coming off pace in some form or another very soon. Didn't they cover this in your rider's meeting?

The Nesba CR's are magic!

BTW, you were ripping pretty well compared to the others out there...good work...nice video too!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - but that wasn't me in the video. I wish it was.

Only thing that pissed me off was the liter bike that would crawl through the turns and not let me pass on the straights. I even got to the point where I'd fall back before setting up for the turn, get my speed back up and slingshot out much faster onto the straight, even pass for a second or 2, then the liter would fly by. I was using brakes for most of my passing, but oh well.

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Thanks for the reply - but that wasn't me in the video. I wish it was.

Only thing that pissed me off was the liter bike that would crawl through the turns and not let me pass on the straights. I even got to the point where I'd fall back before setting up for the turn, get my speed back up and slingshot out much faster onto the straight, even pass for a second or 2, then the liter would fly by. I was using brakes for most of my passing, but oh well.
I swear the same guy is at our trackdays:lao...aside from crawling through corners, I found that he brakes early also....but damn! He rockets out of the corners on his liter twin....so I used that (braking) to my advantage. It can be frustrating, but in the long run it makes you better at setting guys up.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I swear the same guy is at our trackdays:lao...aside from crawling through corners, I found that he brakes early also....but damn! He rockets out of the corners on his liter twin....so I used that (braking) to my advantage. It can be frustrating, but in the long run it makes you better at setting guys up.
Yeah I even tried to hot pit to get some clear track, but my timing SUCKED!
I did it twice and each time they were flying the white flag as soon as I came into the pit. So the marshal just motioned me off the course. I lost the last lap of 2 sessions doing this. It's amazing how fast 20 minutes goes by when your having so much fun.:bitchslap

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
That’s one thing that is nice about having a liter bike for the track. When you do come across those riders that are clearly slower then you but are just fast enough to make passing in the turns a little uncomfortable (I try real hard to only pass when there is plenty of room and not stuff or startle the other rider). But at least if I get a much better drive out of the corner my 954 usually has the power to pass them and stay passed in the straights.

My favorite place to pass is on the outside of long sweepers. But is dose suck when you feel like your on a Sunday ride waiting for that long sweeper just so you can pass the slower rider.

I could see how frustrating it would be to pass a guy easily in the corner on his liter bike just to get passed on the next straight on your 600. If a rider passes me in a corner I almost never try to pass him in the next straight. At most I will just try and stay right on his tail and hopefully learn a new line or something. If he is clearly faster then my comfort level I will just back off rather then risk dumping my bike trying to keep up.

In fact I will often just cruse down the straights so if there are any faster riders behind me they can pass easily. The last thing I want to do is hold up other riders. In fact there was this chick on a busa the last track day. She was SLOW in the corners, I mean hella SLOW (which is fine it was her 1st track day I believe) but what was annoying was the only time she went fast was the straights. She would go like hell on the straights and I didn’t feel real comfortable trying to pass her in the corners because she was not very predictable. I just didn’t want to startle her or me if she suddenly changed her line. So I would just wait for the one long sweeper and blow by her on the outside. Kind of a drag putting around most of the track waiting for that long sweeper but I got to admit it dose feel good passing people on the outside :).

I guess what I’m trying to say is people should just take it easy on the straights to let the faster riders pass more easily. I think people forget it’s not a race!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s one thing that is nice about having a liter bike for the track.
Well the thought did cross my mind, but I've got a LOT more learning on this 600. I don't need the extra power. I have no worries about sliding a rear out because of too much power while exiting the apex. I'd have to relearn throttle control on the 1000.

I could see how frustrating it would be to pass a guy easily in the corner on his liter bike just to get passed on the next straight on your 600.
Well I'm in the NESBA "B" group so there is no passing unless straight up and down, nothing in the turns.

I guess what I’m trying to say is people should just take it easy on the straights to let the faster riders pass more easily. I think people forget it’s not a race!
Yeah I was really frustrated by this. That's why I sling shot out a couple times to let the rider know I was there. didn't matter.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
I take it easy on the straights too, so that the really fast guys can zoom past easily and safely.

It SUCKS getting stuck behind that guy who goes around corners a 1/2 your speed but then blasts down the straights preventing a safe pass.

I watched the video....I would interpret that as a sign of going off pace to pit, or due to a mechanical failure. Were there any corner flags thrown at the time?

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Well I'm in the NESBA "B" group so there is no passing unless straight up and down, nothing in the turns.
Soon enough those liters won't bother you...really, I think it made me better. I got booted out of B last track weekend, but not without a fight...I really liked B and passing coming out of and going into corners....I went from the fastest guy in B to prolly the slowest in I..haha.. but now I get to work on passing on the outside of corners if I can ever catch anyone :eatpop. Nesba I group has some pretty fast guys around here, and I imagine everywhere else.

Just keep going to trackdays and before you know it, you'll be the fast guy in B and then you get mugged by cr's making you go to I grp. I really never wanted to go to I or thought I'd be good enough really, but with the excellent coaching they give and with enough time on track, you will get far better. Hell, I thought I'd only do one or two trackdays on my street bike.....I also kind of pushed any kind of grey area as far as passing in B....I would time the pass so as to get by while either just beginning to lean into entry or just finishing up and straightening out coming off a corner (maybe slightly leaned, but not a full lean). I only got in trouble once by a cr that had never seen me before...

You will be better off and learn more by staying on a smaller bike. I think you know that.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I take it easy on the straights too, so that the really fast guys can zoom past easily and safely.
You know, you're right. Thinking back, all I really had to do was take it easy on the straights and not try and make the pass. I'd probably have ended up catching up at the end of the turn and maintaining my own pace.

I watched the video....I would interpret that as a sign of going off pace to pit, or due to a mechanical failure. Were there any corner flags thrown at the time?
This wasn't my video. I checked it the night before I went to see what I was getting myself into.

It's cool how when I watch it now, I know the track and the turns coming up and it's more fun to see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts