Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some new handle grips for my bike a while ago. Unfortinatly they are on back order but according to the vender they should be in sometime this week. I do some things on my bike but I am a little worried about my grips. Mainly on the right side with the throttle. How are the grips on the right side do they slide on to something that allows the grip to turn? Or is the girp manufactured on something and slides on? Or do they go on just like a pedal bike, some soap and slide them right on. If possible I would like to install them myself because harley wants $38 to install them. He said it takes about a half hour. I really don’t see paying that much money if it is something that will only take a half hour. Can someone let me know how they go on?

·
Registered
222 Posts
The right side will slide onto a tube that allows the throttle to turn. Just use a razor blade to cut off the old grip. Then spray the inside of the new grip and the bar with hairspray. Slide on and let dry for the night. By morning or afternoon it'll be nice and set. Takes a half hour?! He must be alittle slow.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help Sirkbak.. You just saved me $38, witch will probally be used on more accessories.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glad to help. Replacing a grip is simple, hardest part is just getting the bar end off....rest is cake. No reason to have a dealer do that.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
If you have access to an air compressor, getting the grips off is a simple matter of pushing the blow nozzle under the edge of the grip. It will expand and slide right off.

Hairspray IS the right glue. I've found the cheaper the better in this case.

Half hour is the minimum shop rate for anything. Five minutes is the actual time.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
jim schmidt said:
If you have access to an air compressor, getting the grips off is a simple matter of pushing the blow nozzle under the edge of the grip. It will expand and slide right off.

Hairspray IS the right glue. I've found the cheaper the better in this case.

Half hour is the minimum shop rate for anything. Five minutes is the actual time.

Lol I originally posted that, then thought maybe they weren't rubber handrips.. and the air compresser thing wouldn't work....

·
Registered
501 Posts
hairspray didn't work for me, it would hold for a day or 2 then if i tried to twist the left grip hard it would slide. so i used clear acrylic spray paint, just lightly, as the glue and it is solid now.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information. Unfortinatly I dont have a air compressor or any tools to assist so I will have to do the way of razor blades.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts