Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a cramp on the palm of my hand near my thumb after riding for a short period of time. I had a throttlemeister and it helped, but I had to remove it to change the bars, and am waiting for an adapter to reinstall. Meanwhile I am again getting this cramp. Is there any way to help it? Any exercise? Will it stop after riding for awhile?

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
Got the same thing from riding my wifes FZ6.. but also on a R6. Its the riding position you are in. Your cutting off the circulation which in turn makes your hand numb. wrist hurt or a cramp in the palm. The only way I have found to remedy the problem is to make sure I change my riding positions a little bit. From moving forward or further back. it puts different angles on your wrists so it lets the blood flow.

You can also adjust your clip ons (bars) so that way your wrist isn't at such a angle. This also helps a lot.

Just some ideas.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had the exact same issue, so I tilted the clip ons up slightly from stock thinking it would help. Oddly enough, this only made the pain worse and moved the pain to a different part of my hands! So then I tilted the clip ons down slightly from stock and also tilted the brake and clutch levers up slightly so the levers are now closer to my fingertips. It's better, but not perfect and I think, when they're available, I'll end up getting different bars that have a bit more pullback.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with SquidKiller...it does go away. Not that I'm anywhere near "lots of hours" on my bike but I am able to ride longer without it starting now than I was two months ago. Changing position AND remembering to RELAX is helping too.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
One of the guys that I ride with complained of the same thing. Come to find out, he had a death grip on the bars/clip-ons. After relaxing and loosening his grip, it went away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Loosening my (death) grip really helped AFTER I got used to the somewhat touchy throttle response. About a half an arc second is all it took to go from closed to open, it seemed. It's the one ergo point they didn't get right, and it can be tiring, possibly enough to cause a mistake in the city. The seating position is so upright that I can't imagine that any except very tall riders are putting a lot of pressure on the bars, at least not a lot compared to an R6, for example.

I like the rocker too, and it is a cheap, no-commitment deal, but it doesn't exactly solve the underlying issue.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good point, BBob! Hmmm...maybe we're approaching this from the wrong angle? In other words, instead of trying to "patch" the issue with different bars, changing riding position etc., maybe there's a way we could "fix" it. Meaning, I wonder if there's a way to make the throttle less touchy? Or would that be too massive a modification to make it practical? I don't know, just a crazy idea I guess...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Touchy throttle? How much sportbike riding experience do you have? The throttle response on the FZ6 is actually pretty smooth. Keep riding and you will eventually get used to it. I've been riding for some years now and when I first rode my FZ6, my first thought was about the smoothness of the throttle.

·
Registered
320 Posts
One other thing I've found that helps the cramping issue is to take a day or two off of riding. Doing this allows muscles to rebuild, joints to relax etc. I've found it also gives my brain a fresh perspective on riding and helps me to relax a bit more on the bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You're holding on to tight. Relax a little on the bars and it will also get better with time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
+1 on relaxing on the handle bars. It used to happen to me too, but relaxing my grip on the bars and a lot of riding has helped me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cavi said:
I get a cramp on the palm of my hand near my thumb after riding for a short period of time. I had a throttlemeister and it helped, but I had to remove it to change the bars, and am waiting for an adapter to reinstall. Meanwhile I am again getting this cramp. Is there any way to help it? Any exercise? Will it stop after riding for awhile?
As You get used to the bike and are able to relax more, it'll go away. This is commonly known as the "grip of death". Try to be a bit less tense while riding.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Interesting thing with me is that I don't have a death grip on the throttle. I think my issue was that I cover the front brake with index and middle fingers leaving only the ring and pinky fingers to operate the throttle. I think in this case, those two fingers just needed to get strong enough to handle doing that. It's much better now after riding a bit more regularly. Man, I would have thought all the guitar and bass playing I've done for the past 15+ years would have had my hands stronger than that! Oh well. Must be a different set of muscles in play I guess...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey......... I'm an old baseplayer, too :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Try some padded gloves. This will help blood flow and reduce vibrations. Could always try replacing stock grips with larger more comfortable grips. I think the grips being on the small side has a little to do with it too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the same problem and bought one of those silly magnetic bracelets.....It very well may be that I am just getting used to it but after I bought that I swear I could go longer before it got sore....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts