Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my MSF class finally started Friday night and we got on the bikes for about 4 hours today. I cannot imagine getting a bike and learning to ride on my own. The class is evenly split between sportbikes and Harleys with a couple token squids thrown into the mix. I came to this conclusion when one of them arrived wearing short sleeves and then put on long sleeves for the class and I later confirmed it when the two of them pulled wheelies right in front of the rest of the class as everyone was getting into their cars and leaving (previously mentioned squid had returned to short sleeves only again). I will give one of them credit for at least wearing a riding jacket. But whatever, the only people they were putting in danger were themselves (this time anyway). Anyway, it was a really positive experience, I definitely recommend it, and I can't wait to get back on the bikes tomorrow.

I do have a question though, I did ok with the weaving drill when the cones were in a line, but when the cones were offset I had the hardest time and I'm not sure why. So any RiderCoaches, MSF graduates, or anyone reading this, I'd like some advice so I can hopefully do better tomorrow if that exercise is part of the riding exam. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the cones werent in the final in my class. basicly the offest cones you need to go slower and really counter steer. the cone weave was my favorite part of the class

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
whoa. weird... i made a exact same post today... today was also my 1/2 way point. And i also mentioned that the offset cones were the hardest part. lol I think that the way to do those successfully is by looking ahead. Like i had the problem of focusing relaly hard on the NEXT cone and trying to get around it.. that by the time i reached the other ones, my path wasn't very well planned out. I managed to do it though... skipping maybe 1. Also, lower speeds are actually harder to maneuver the bike around the cones.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I actually found them easier if I wasn't going to slow. also look to the cone in line with the one you are passing, not the next cone. so like... you go around cone 1 look at cone 3 etc etc. look up not down and use your counter-steering but don't try force your body to lean. it is more of a swerve swerve than a turn turn. not sure it helps. I'm a newbie too but I did really good on that part after bombing it the first couple times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts