Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for one I know why the Katana sucks at being a sportbike. Too heavy and stable" (slow to maneuver)...

I was amazed how the 600cc SS bikes could not only keep up with my 750 on the straight, but they left me behind. And if that wasnt bad enough, they could brake a lot faster than me...

I was able to more or less keep up with them on the turns, but not in the acceleration when coming out of a turn nor when braking...

I really enjoyed it. I was placed in the "fast" group along with a wicked race prepped CBR600RR and a Ducati 748R (The 748 was funny, I felt like if were being chased by a crazy mower, and the clutch sounded like a broken ratchet!!!).

It was a religious experience!!!

Now I think I understan what riding a sportbike is about, feeling the fear and being able to control it, but not losing it, respect the bike while pushing its limits, God, that was great.

First turn on the track was just an easy set of laps, second one was almost wasted as a guy wrecked quite hard (rider error, downshifted while entering the turn, locked the rear, and down he went).
Third one I rode like $hit as I think I was scared by the wreckage.

Fourth and last...

I was finally able to concentrate on what I was doing, ran as fast as the poor Kan-o-tuna could, tried to do my best effort and it showed up, I was able to more or less hold my position on the group (only lost like 3-4 positions, to the duck, 600RR, an F4i and a 636, and lapped some guys!)

Trackday changed my whole perception of what riding a sportbike is all about!

Attachments

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pictures, me and my bike, me talking to the guy with the race prepped CBR 600RR, and my GF with my bike

Attachments

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Are those tire pics after the track day? If they are then I wonder how come they put you on the fast group, hell I can even see stubbies on that front tire!! Anyways glad you had fun and welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the bike's performance, it's about having fun and it sounds like you did.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like you had fun, how much is it there for a track day? I'm going home to Brownsville in October maybe I can convince some friends to come with me.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TTsixxer said:
Are those tire pics after the track day? If they are then I wonder how come they put you on the fast group, hell I can even see stubbies on that front tire!! Anyways glad you had fun and welcome to the addiction.

Yep, it is addictive.

And stubs on the front tire? Heck, yes! Those are Pirelli MT75s, not your regular super soft racing compound, that is why the tires don't even look worn.

That and the fact that it is a slow, kinda technical, track. Longest straight is 800meters, and top speeds in there were around 180-200 km/h.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8ball said:
Looks like you had fun, how much is it there for a track day? I'm going home to Brownsville in October maybe I can convince some friends to come with me.

Well, unless you are willing to ride about 1000 miles to get to Mexico City, the track is nowhere near Brownsville...

The thing is, This was the first track day in Mexico, the FIRST ONE! We are hoping that we'll be able to have another one by the end of September, but nothing is sure yet.

Its not like in the US, where trackdays are a common thing.

But it was cheap, $60! And those were the $60 best spent on my whole life!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple more pictures someone else took:

(And yes, thats a BMW Rockster or whatever it is called, the thing wasn't THAT slow)

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Good to hear of your good track day, man. Glad you enjoyed. I can't wait to get out, but I am also a bit worried about my skill level, and mangling a beautiful machine. Next year, no excuses though. And it helps having met some local guys that do that stuff. They really push you along. Hey, after the trackday, maybe a track school, right. :banana

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bad Habit said:
Good to hear of your good track day, man. Glad you enjoyed. I can't wait to get out, but I am also a bit worried about my skill level, and mangling a beautiful machine. Next year, no excuses though. And it helps having met some local guys that do that stuff. They really push you along. Hey, after the trackday, maybe a track school, right. :banana

Hey man, I think everyone is worried about their skill level, but thats not what you should worry about. Just take it easier, get to know the track and start pushing it more and more every lap, but without going over YOUR OWN LIMITS.

My GF was laughing. No shit, after the first turn on the track, I felt we were riding SO FAST that I should move to the slow group as I was really scared! As the time went by, I controled my fear and enjoyed it!

Best advise would be, get yourself a set of scratched plastics (maybe even broken ones, fix them with plastic weld or fiberglass, no need to make them look pretty), some frame sliders and you are set!
Unless you have a very bad crash, only damage to the bikes is normally plastics, levers, pegs, etc. So if you remove your stock plastics and use some "beater" plastics, the other repairs would be cheap.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
Well, unless you are willing to ride about 1000 miles to get to Mexico City, the track is nowhere near Brownsville...

The thing is, This was the first track day in Mexico, the FIRST ONE! We are hoping that we'll be able to have another one by the end of September, but nothing is sure yet.

Its not like in the US, where trackdays are a common thing.

But it was cheap, $60! And those were the $60 best spent on my whole life!
Dude, make sure u keep me posted, I'm in San Deigo!

·
Registered
994 Posts
It's great to push your limits without risking a big ticket or maybe jail time.
Don't worry about ther performance. You don't have to worry about water pumps, anti freeze, overheated heads due to occluded rads....... Plus you can ride that Katana all day on public roads in slow traffic without getting bent out of shape.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
How cool! I envy you. I've given up on ever being able to do a track day. Unfortunately, it's just never gonna happen. So I can sit here and hate you for having fun! :joke! :lol

Congrats on your first track day. If you do more, make sure you take more pics!

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
that's awesome! sounds like it wsa enjoyed by many and most importantly, by you! Ihope you get another one as you suggested, it is addictive and will put you in the poorhouse as fast as a crack addiction. lol. good looking pics! looks like you got the helmet resolved too.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wash the bike???

Damn, I've been thinking about giving a good wash/degreasing to the engine, as it is all oily and dirty, but never had enough time to actually do it.

I barely have enough free time to give the Katana a ride every Sunday, as much as I would like to, I can only ride it or wash it, and I rather ride it.

Japbike:

Why not??? Wasn't that hard to actually do a trackday, and that is comming from a guy that usually works 6 days a week.

SilentR1:

I know, I've already chosen what I'm going to spend my money the next months (new wheels and tyres, just for the track, can't afford to use M1s on the street, a set of full leathers, a new exhaust, and I could go on forever... I'm even thinking about selling my scooter to afford that!!!)

Damn, I guess it really will get me broke faster than crack!!!

(The helmet is a Nolan N61, got it on sale, $160, I did managed to finish the paint on the other helmet and make it look "ok")

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the way Japbike. I didn't took more pictures as:

a) I can't take a decent picture even if my life depended on it.
b) Discovered quite fast that I need a camera with optical zoom.
c) Only have the 16mb memory stick that came with the camera.

But well, it is either more gear and bike parts or a new camera, and the later can wait :)

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
Yep, it is addictive.

And stubs on the front tire? Heck, yes! Those are Pirelli MT75s, not your regular super soft racing compound, that is why the tires don't even look worn.

That and the fact that it is a slow, kinda technical, track. Longest straight is 800meters, and top speeds in there were around 180-200 km/h.
Yeah but still after a full track day those stubbies should be gone!! Main thing you had fun though. Get some better tires, you will be surprised!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts