Sport Bikes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a short, now it wont start

Posted last week about a headlight gremlin, and got that fixed.. But it popped the fuse AGAIN.. Looked deeper into it, and found a short in the wiring, where it had rubbed through.. (I just followed the smoke to the problem). I fixed that wire so it wont ground out anymore..
Now my bike wont start.. Turns over fine, but it wont fire up. I didnt have time this morning to look too deeply into it, but I'm looking for ideas...
I plan on pulling the plug wires this evening to see if they have any spark..
I have an '01 ZX-6R, carburated.. Does the carburated model have an ECU? If so, what are the chances that it got fried. Anyone know how to test it?
How easy is it to fry the ignition module.. Just looking for places to test.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also, now when I hit the starter button, crank it for a few seconds and release it.. my dash resets, like I just turned the key off and on again.. The battery connections are tight, so the problem isnt there. ECU again? Where is the ECU located on the bike.. I cant find it.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think that you should load test the battery, could be that you are drawing to much power when you are trying to start it.
This is a shot in the dark feel free to shoot me down.
Does it spin over fast like normal?

Vic

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Punkwood, I replied to your PM. I forgot that the 01 ZXR's were still carb'd. You are only going to have an ICM that controls ignition timing. It should still be under your seat.

Told ya we'd have to figure out why that fuse popped in the first place. :beer

First thing I'd check for is spark. That will give us a good place to start if there is none.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts