Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was going on this nice twisty road last night (almost no driveways) that my friend had shown me

anyways i passed a group of sportbikes on the side of the road chillin a while before

As I was goin I see a single headlight behind me so I figured it was one of the sportbikes

WRONG..haha it was a freakin GOLDWING!

I wasnt goin to get over my head but I did go through these corners pretty fast (to me at least) and he was right there the whole time

Ive only had my bike 3 weeks but I was definitely humbled

anyone have any similar experiences? :alky

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I wouldn't be too suprised. Goldwings are what the people who are on sport-tourers now will ride when they're in their fourties. People on Goldwings are generally damn good riders, from the few that I've met and from what I've heard. After all, you can't operate a two-wheeled car without a good amount of experience... ;)

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
Don't worry about it. After you get a few thousand miles there is no way he will be able to keep up. I remember when I first started riding I thought I was fast until a minivan pulled away from me on a twisty road. I was frustrated to say the least.

·
Registered
304 Posts
torok said:
123 horsepower and 147 foot-pounds of torque. If you want to, you can ride those things pretty hard.
The weight kills them, though. Given two skilled riders, one on a Wing and one on a decent sportbike, of course the sportbike disappears. That said, many of my fellow MSF instructors have Goldwings, and you should see a truly skilled rider put one through its paces. It's a great thing to watch. You might be surprised by one someday.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hagios said:
Goldwings are what the people who are on sport-tourers now will ride when they're in their fourties... ;)
:grinbounc :grinbounc :grinbounc

He-he, I'm in my forties, and just don't see this happening.

Hey, I only started riding a few years ago. So, maybe by 70 I will get a Gold Wing. :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
IG. said:
:grinbounc :grinbounc :grinbounc

He-he, I'm in my forties, and just don't see this happening.

Hey, I only started riding a few years ago. So, maybe by 70 I will get a Gold Wing. :)
HAHA...well, im only 26 and I only started riding a few years ago, but my girl loves those things and almost has me convinced to get one in a few years. we like bikes and like traveling and it doesnt seem like a bad deal. just saw a spanky new one at the dealership the other day and it wasnt half bad actually.
I know a few older guys with goldwings and yes, the stereotype does exist that they were all current or ex sportbike riders and had good skills with them. I've seen them wheelie them and the like. dont sleep on those bikes. but i have to agree also, two riders with equal skills (read: competent), one on a 1990's 600SS and one on a GW, the 600SS will be long gone on the twisties simple from weight factor alone and ground clearance on the tighter turns. but hey, i've been known to be wrong and this could would welcome being proved as such! :headbang

·
Registered
681 Posts
You guys with a couple yrs of riding sure like talking smack about a bike you've never ridden or seen what one can do with a good rider aboard.........just look at the pic above!

·
Registered
27 Posts
freeride said:
That said, many of my fellow MSF instructors have Goldwings, and you should see a truly skilled rider put one through its paces. It's a great thing to watch.
My MSF instructor owned two 'Wings and when he took the b*****(newer) one on the course, he did some damn amazing things.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I've seen this one guy here riding the twisties in the hill country quite often and humble many a rider.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts