Sport Bikes banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mango, try some climber's workouts. All you need is a pull-up bar and some dumbbells. Window washers, wide pull-ups, close ones, sets of push-ups and curls and French presses in between. Do the pull-up esque stuff right, you'll feel it in your abs. Doesn't render your regular ab stuff useless though. For the type of running you and I both are doing for cross country, you're much better off focusing on your shoulders, abs, and chest for strength and endurance, but not the bulking kind. I found climbing workouts while I overlapped climbing and running to be very helpful in boosting and maintaining upper body/core strength for running. Wouldn't hurt to try that route at the moment since I'm assuming cross country conditioning stuff begins at the end of spring

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm also doing the 800m this spring. Fuck me. I did a 2:25 in HS so no way I'm going to be even remotely competitive in college. XC I'm hardly competitive. I'll try that route. Thanks brah.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
If I'm benching, the first set of 5 is fine, the 5th rep on the second set is a bit of a struggle, and the 4th and 5th rep on the 3rd set are struggle fest. Is that about right? I try to set it so I can do the first set well, almost all the second set well, and the struggle the last bit of the 3rd set. Should I go to fail on the last rep of the 1st set then back the weight down..?

I do arms one day, back the next, shoulders the next, chest the next, and cycle through that. I do abs almost every day but its more sit ups and medicine ball type stuff. I will be adding leg day in soon.

I want mass in my arms and strength in my legs all while running about 20 miles a week. What do you suggest?
I'd suggest setting a goal right now. I am a firm believer that you can't really build mass while doing extensive cardio. Why do you want to run 20 miles per week? It'll be easier to add mass then cut later than trying to add mass while doing more cutting workouts.

As far as those sets, that sounds about right. I also like to incorporate drop sets in all my workouts for my last reps. Helps to really be sure to use the muscles.

Additionally, why split workouts? I just have never understood the logic. Granted, I may "bulk" but I workout for overall strength not size, so do more compound stuff. It is easier to be sure I get my whole body equally worked out depending on my daily energy level. I don't see the benefit unless you're a big time bodybuilder who needs much more than 24-48 hours for a decent recovery of fast twitch muscles (note, this does NOT include tendons).

If you ever notice a decrease in strength or pain, not soreness, but pain particularly in the joints and/or forearms I highly suggest a deload week. I personally take one every other month and they're fantastic! We give our muscles time to heal, but often not our tendons. A deload week can let those tendons get strong to help support the joints and recover. I bet your next workout will be much much better!

Woot woot progress!

Left, before I started this fitness journey:

Now, where I was at mid-December:

Not huge, but definitely not complaining at all! Can't wait to cut at the end of this month.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
July 2014

Still hitting it at 47.

I am more and more convinced that the vast majority of athletic capability is based upon nutrition.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Been weight lifting for 7 months and love it! I have been alternating between the 4-6 rep range and 7-11. I went from a 135 lbs bench to 245 lbs. I have become addicted.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Still exercising. Just maintaining, nothing interesting to post. My routine now is to do a four-day light workout with weights then sit on the stationary bike for 30 mins while reading a book. Other days are for jogging, with one rest day per week (usually Saturday).

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Anyone improving? I did legs Tuesday and I am so incredibly sore that I can barely walk today. Delayed muscle soreness is brutal.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Forgot about this thread.

I've been going to the gym here at work during lunch for a 30-35 min workout 2-4x a week. I've been doing 2 miles on the treadmill and I've increased my speed from a 14 min mile to a 10 min mile since I started 2 months ago. I try to throw in some hanging crunches, pushups, and situps after each workout.

Not really looking to bulk up yet, I'd like to get rid of the beer belly and get back down to a sustained 6 min mile or a 20 min 3 mile. I've always been more of a runner than a weights person anyhow.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Soon as I get cleared to work out I'll be back in the gym. Need to rebuild the muscles in my left leg and core then I'll be working on my 8 min mile again.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts