Sport Bikes banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I'm not huge or anything, but after I workout especially, I look like a beast. I'm only 5'8" 175 so no hulk LOL.
baw ha ha ha - no shit. That's my height and weight- so definitely no hulk ;)
:neener

Do what speaks to you.
I would say do what works- because what works doesn't always speak to you- but if you get results- do that! Trust me- no processed sugar and no bread doesn't speak to me AT ALL- but it fucking works. so that's what I'm going to do.

Break up your muscle categories for each day and get after it.
completely unnecessary to do and often times counterproductive.

Change your workouts, shock your muscles and you'll get stronger and see results.
again- totally not necessary- especially on a week to week basis. You can stick to the same program for 6-12 weeks and still see a lot of improvements. See stronglifts 5 x 5

This is all good advice. I would note that this is not advice for a beginner. Learn how to do things with proper training first - especially if you are going to squat, deadlift, or do olympic ballistic lifts.

Moreover, using such principles, while a good idea also makes it difficult to judge metrics for strength.
Agreed

Rest.

I can not even begin to explain the importance of learning to get proper sleep and recovery.
lots of this and eating enough to build if you are looking to bulk- this includes fat.

and it's squat day bitches. :D

WOOT WOOT

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Respectfully, you look emaciated. Also my guess is your age is< 25. Your look is much more related to genetics, diet and youth. You have very little mass in your abdominal wall and serratus.

These pictures prove nothing.

I'm not trying to rip you. I'm glad you go to the gym. However, you would look better if you lifted heavier weights with correct form.

I deadlifted twice my weight + repeatedly yesterday. Can you do that? And yes, being able to do that is a very useful gauge of real world strength. And I am 46.

Keep at it.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Yeppers! Definitely getting closer to my goal, although I screwed up my knee doing jump lunges yesterday. Will post up some stats and pics later, been busy trying to balance that plus prepping for law school.

·
The cake is a lie
10,152 Posts
Not quite as regular as I'd like the past 1.5-2 months thanks to moving and all kinds of associated bullshit, but it's still coming along. I'm starting to meet my goal of putting on more weight; I was at 170-175lbs around Christmas time last year, and I'm now at 190-195.

Here's a shitty mirror selfie i took not too long ago.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I didn't realize until I read this that runners look so sickly and terrible. Nobody should look like a runner. Ever.

Anyway. Does anyone else do only body weight exercises here? I just can't stand free weights or machines really.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Not half bad at all Rhet. I'm impressed that you put on the size and still managed to stay pretty darn lean. Mind if I ask about your diet?

·
The cake is a lie
10,152 Posts
Diet? What's that?!?! :lmao

I normally eat lunch, dinner, and a late night snack. Lunch is normally leftovers from the previous night's dinner. Dinner is 95% cooked from scratch and always includes veggies, meat (chicken, beef, pork, fish, whatevs) and either rice, pasta, or potatoes. Late night snack is often granola cereal (or ice cream) and some sort of snack like Welchs fruit snacks. I always get some sort of fruit in my diet as well through either fresh fruit, a smoothie, yogurt, applesauce, etc.

For drinks, I have 2-3 coffees a day (small/medium sized), drink a fair amount of water/juice, and 1-2 beers.

I also binge on bullshit foods on occasion and have no qualms with downing an entire bag of doritos by myself while watching a movie. I have the metabolism of a hummingbird.

I go to the gym minimum 3 time a week, ideally 4, and play other sports such as cycling, football, curling, etc. My workout normally involves a run to start (either 3km in 14min or less, or 5km in 24 min), then it's a mix of freeweights and machine. I'm not huge or anything like that nor do I aim to be, I just want to be in good overall health.

Oh, and I was wrong with my previous OR I've lost weight over my past 1/5-2 months of lessened activity; I'm now hovering around 185lbs. It isn't hard for me to stay lean; I'm not exercising with the aim of bulking up like the Hulk, I have a retardedly fast metabolism, and my build has always been tall and lean (I'm 6'3").

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I'm pretty thin myself a smidge less than 6'1''. But I only weigh about 165 right now. Our frames are similar.

So, you blame it on youth. That's cool. I pretty much eat what I want - but I don't really like most dessert foods. I don't crave that stuff.

·
The cake is a lie
10,152 Posts
Being relatively young definitely helps I'd say.

One of my main motivators for exercising is so that I can keep eating and drinking whatever the hell I want in whatever quantities I choose.

I'm also not a dessert guy; I have much more of a "salt tooth" than a sweet tooth.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I didn't realize until I read this that runners look so sickly and terrible. Nobody should look like a runner. Ever.

Anyway. Does anyone else do only body weight exercises here? I just can't stand free weights or machines really.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I have been doing body weight stuff. I will say, I don't get the results that Rhet does, but I get a lot of function out of it. I'm currently working on a handstand progression and almost up to a free-form handstand for a full minute.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Your issue is as a runner your body wants to enhance your lower body and is using its natural recovery ability to enhance your lower body. The reality is that as a runner, unless you run and continue to run you will find it hard to buk up as efficiently as you could if you were not running. The bottom line is that your training dictates the way you look within the parameters of your intensity, genetics, recovery ability and diet. If you are running - especially long distance and CX - is it any wonder you look the way you look.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts