Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know if any of you remember this, but a friend of mine posted on here selling a black/red 2003 R1. the guy that bought it rode a GSXR 750 (not sure which year) for awhile, but never rode twisty country roads. he started riding with us and got real fast real quick--mostly, i believe, by balls alone and not really skill.

he wrecked doing a wheelie just a few days ago and is now in the hospital with a broken ankle and was having surgery today. i wasn't there, but talking with the guys that were it was a really sick accident.

just thought i'd post and say WEAR YOUR GEAR!! if he had boots on and anything more than a helmet he might be completely fine.

i don't stunt, but if you do be careful. a simple wheelie cost him a lot of time, money, and a possible limp for the rest of his life. think about it...

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sorry to hear about your friend, hope he heals up quick and is alright.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sorry to hear about it...but yo I hope a bunch of people who read this learn the lesson. Seems like a lot of riders out there will wear the helmet, get the jacket, get the gloves even...but they will still wear sneakers...i dont get it. oh well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Flash6R said:
Sorry to hear about it...but yo I hope a bunch of people who read this learn the lesson. Seems like a lot of riders out there will wear the helmet, get the jacket, get the gloves even...but they will still wear sneakers...i dont get it. oh well.
Everyone seems to rant about this. Perhaps it's because people actually use their bikes for transportation and wearing boots to work/school would be too uncomfortable? The fact is any "shoe" with ankle support probably would have saved him some pain.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Zippy said:
Everyone seems to rant about this. Perhaps it's because people actually use their bikes for transportation and wearing boots to work/school would be too uncomfortable? The fact is any "shoe" with ankle support probably would have saved him some pain.
There are a lot of options with boots. Just about every company makes decent boots that are comfortable, come up over the ankle, and will hold up if you go down. And guess what, they don't look like racer boots, so, if you are wearing jeans, they look just fine. That just really isn't a legitimate excuse, unless you insist on wearing shorts. :2eek

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bad Habit said:
There are a lot of options with boots. Just about every company makes decent boots that are comfortable, come up over the ankle, and will hold up if you go down. And guess what, they don't look like racer boots, so, if you are wearing jeans, they look just fine. That just really isn't a legitimate excuse, unless you insist on wearing shorts. :2eek
Exactly. Even Docs will hold up allright. Sure they wont help a "crush", but they offer a lot more support

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
I'll be sure to purchase a pair of boots before I hop back on another 1000. I would always ride in either 3 pair of timberlands, one being steel toed, and my steel toed work boots. But you can't beat a REAL boot. And thankfully, I haven't gone down yet on a 1000, but it's bound to happen. Might as well be ready for it.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
sorry to hear about your friend :( Hope his surgery and recovery goes well!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
damn sneaks worked for me in a similar accident. No problems what so ever for me. Hopefully you're friend turns out fine. This just make means realize how special/lucky i really am!

·
Registered
8 Posts
A lady I work with had a son who wrecked doing a "simple wheelie". He flew off the bike and hit his abdomen, rupturing his liver. He died about a week later. He was wearing a helmet and nothing else. Who knows, with a leather jacket, it might have absorbed enough force to lessen the injury to his organs...It's the things you don't think of that sometimes get you. WHy not wear all the gear you can just in case?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts