Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from today's MSF session (in Idaho its the STARS program but they use all MSF material).

There is a 29 year old military guy there who bought an '02 ZX-6R about two years ago while stationed in Hawaii. He shipped it back to Idaho when he returned. To this day it still has 5900 miles - about 5850 were put on by the previous owner!

This guy doesn't ride his Zx-6R because he is afraid of it (though he's finally taking MSF). He's taken it around the block a few times but generally, it just sits there.
I asked why he didn't get a 250 or 500... his reply was that his buddies assured him he'd be bored in 3 months if he bought one of those bikes. AND he figured he could handle those no problem and so he wouldn't be afraid enough to respect the bike.
So, now he's definately afraid. AND he is bored because the bike just sits there. I mentioned that I started out by practicing in empty parking lots and empty (newly started) subdivisions. I even offered to take him out and help him learn.
He MAY eventually take one of those options but for now, is still too afraid to do anything but an occasional zip around the block.

Poor Bike!

On the plus side, he said he'd like to trade the bike and get a Buell in a year. Then the bike can have some purpose and a Buell can find an appropriate home.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
The world is cetainly full of strange people. Nice of you to offer your time and help him, but it sounds like he needs to help himself first.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Mind you through the 'net we are bumping into people that bought bikes of to much power or weight & are now teriffied of them. Pity for we also get them on our m/c boards & so often they want to argue that the bike they want to buy (try "have bought") is the ideal bike to start out on.

Some have actually bought the bike(s) for some reason like their powerful Triumph reminds them of the movie they saw as a kid of Brando with the Wild Ones & they he rode a Triumph. To others that felt buying the largest cruiser was the answer only now at 50 plus yrs of age & about to learn the bike is to heavy & awkward to try & ride let alone learn on.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Well, on the bright side, he is not so full of himself. He knows the bike is hard to handle and can get him killed if he doesnt' know what he is doing.

I bet this guy could turn out into a good rider once he gets past his "friends" advise.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
For the love of God change your avatar hoz....

No sense in having fear in a machine, respect it.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I would try and shoot him a lowball price price for it.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Tell him if he feels like driving down to texas, he can trade bikes with me:D

a 600 he can handle... Lets hope he doesnt notice the sprockets...

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
looks like this guys balls arent as big as they were when he purchased the bike to begin with, its actually a good thing he has since enough not to venture out on the street, guy I do alot of riding with knows a guy that sounds just like the one we're talking about here, he went out and bought a Hyabusa and has NEVER been any kind of motorized two wheeler, he wont even come out and ride with us. I just dont understand people.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Scott_R6 said:
guy I do alot of riding with knows a guy that sounds just like the one we're talking about here, he went out and bought a Hyabusa and has NEVER been any kind of motorized two wheeler, he wont even come out and ride with us. I just dont understand people.
why the hell would you encourage someone to go riding with you when you know he has a 99% chance of wrecking that beast and possibly killing himself? Help a dude out instead of teaching him he's an idiot. Yea I know you arent trying to cause anything but you get what I mean.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Fortunately, I listened to good advice and bought a 500R, since it has been many years since I rode.

If you can still get in touch with him, you may want to tell him that a great place to practice is in base housing, that is if he is stationed on a base. I practiced a lot in the base housing area at the base where I work, and it was great. Lots of corners, not a lot of cars around during working hours, and a low speed limit. Perfect!

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
well at least he knows that the bike is too much for him at the moment and is not trying to ride it.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
ZxHunteR said:
why the hell would you encourage someone to go riding with you when you know he has a 99% chance of wrecking that beast and possibly killing himself? Help a dude out instead of teaching him he's an idiot. Yea I know you arent trying to cause anything but you get what I mean.
yeah your absolutely right, but we were gonna try to work him into it slowly, when we ride we go at a nice calm pace with some spirited riding here and there, this guy took the MSF course and thats where my buddy met him to start with.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Scott_R6 said:
yeah your absolutely right, but we were gonna try to work him into it slowly, when we ride we go at a nice calm pace with some spirited riding here and there, this guy took the MSF course and thats where my buddy met him to start with.

What Im saying is get him to sell his busa, and buy him another bike that he & everyone else in the group agree's on:) It just doesnt make sense that he would keep it.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boldblood said:
If you can still get in touch with him, you may want to tell him that a great place to practice is in base housing, that is if he is stationed on a base. I practiced a lot in the base housing area at the base where I work, and it was great. Lots of corners, not a lot of cars around during working hours, and a low speed limit. Perfect!
He isn't on base - he's a civilian contractor now who does Guard on the weekends (and will be headed to Ft. Hood in Oct then Afganastan).

Well, good news. Today's riding session was much better (we did cornering, various stopping techniques, figure eights with all 11 bikes at once, etc) and he managed to build a little confidence and was actually doing quite well on most of it.
He's still not gonna get on the road in traffic (which is good) but will likely get to a parking lot and start practicing what he learned on his own bike. He may yet get some enjoyment out of it!

I was actually surprised how happy I was to see everyone learning and improving.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
It sounds like the MSF is helping, and the guy may stand a chance of getting over the fear and being competent...
But remember that riding isn't for everyone - he may not have what it takes to be a good rider, and might be better off without a bike?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Watching him at the start of the day, I was really thinking he may be one of those people who just shouldn't ride. As he relaxed a bit and started having fun thing started coming together for him though.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
He must be with supply if he's scared of the bike. No self respecting combat arms type would be scured of a 600.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts