Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep it's almost true! My dad came to visit me last weekend from Michigan so I had him bring his "new" 1966 Honda S65 with him in the back of the pickup. He's got plates for it so we're cool. I had my 1969 Honda CT90 which I completely disassembled over the winter and restored from the ground up. Basically looks like new except for a few original pieces of hardware. I have a Historic plate so I'm street legal as well.

We decided to do a bit of street racing to see who was faster. The S65 is in a high state of tune for HP up top whereas my CT90 obviously has more displacement and is geared way low for hilly trails.

I live in a pretty hilly rural area so it was tough to race. Uphill I have the edge and can usually pull on him if I keep it WOT. The S65 really starts to bog down if you don't carry enough momentum up the hills.

On the flats the S65 has enough to take me. If we're both in a full tuck (me laying back on the rear rack), he can draft and then slowly walk by me.

The best part was when we went for the top speed test on a local road nearby. We were both in a full tuck, WOT, riding side-by-side...and a cop comes at us from the other direction. Now we were both full out and it's only a 55mph two-lane county road. But as it was, neither of us was able to achieve 60mph. We blew by him at maybe 55-57mph, neither of us able to overtake the other.

Naturally he didn't even slow down or light 'em up since we really weren't able to exceed the speed limit. The bikes sounded like they were going about 150 though.

In any case, it was a good time. Since we live so far apart, my dad and I don't get to ride together much these days. It was some of the most fun riding I've done in years. I'm itching to pull the tr***** on a bigbore kit and new cam though...so next time it'll be no contest.

Attachments

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
284 Posts
Could a commuter sport bike like a Ninja 650, SV650 be powerful enough to dart on the freeway like those 1000cc sport bikes? The ones that make the high pitched revving sound.

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could a commuter sport bike like a Ninja 650, SV650 be powerful enough to dart on the freeway like those 1000cc sport bikes? The ones that make the high pitched revving sound.
I think we passed a few of those liter type bikes when my dad and I were racing. They were probably posers - everybody knows literbikes are slow in the turns. I regularly pull on busas when I'm riding with my dual-range transmission set in the high range on the CT. Especially in the twisties. Problem is that it has tube tires and they aren't Z-rated so I have to slow down and let 'em win.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
epic topic.

very nice machinery dude.

·
Registered
936 Posts
It's what my old church used to do to cracker bread to turn it into Mass for Sunday Service. Get a damp wash cloth, set it on top of the cracker bread for an hour

That's a dampener.
Doesn't seem relevant to motorcycles

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Alright so school me, what is a dampener?
It's just a long-running internet joke. It's a damper, but the sort of noob who wants to start riding on a 600ss or above, or any gixxer squid, will spell it "dampener" or "dampner" when asking about one.

PhilB

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've ridden an '08+ R6 a few times and I still don't get it.....
R6Rupture knows a thing or two about them, if he's still around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts