Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wonder how dealerships will deal with those of us with GSXR masters on a different bike ie ive got a complete GSXR front end on my TLS.Should still be covered by Suzuki i am thinking but will see how it pans out,its still a GSXR m/c no matter what its on.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I wonder how dealerships will deal with those of us with GSXR masters on a different bike ie ive got a complete GSXR front end on my TLS.Should still be covered by Suzuki i am thinking but will see how it pans out,its still a GSXR m/c no matter what its on.
Sooooo, are your brakes "spongy"?
I would think that something like a master cylinder would also be on other models. My brother has a Bandit 1250. I would think that 90% of street Suzuki's would use the same master cylinder. From a costing POV, it makes no sense to do it any other way.:pisson

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sooooo, are your brakes "spongy"?
I would think that something like a master cylinder would also be on other models. My brother has a Bandit 1250. I would think that 90% of street Suzuki's would use the same master cylinder. From a costing POV, it makes no sense to do it any other way.:pisson
Problem being you havent thought before typing fella,will point out i could care less what your brother rides.Re read your post and think about it.Heres a clue..go to the Suzuki website look up the part numbers and cross reference them against 90% of Suzukis models....

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Problem being you havent thought before typing fella,will point out i could care less what your brother rides.Re read your post and think about it.Heres a clue..go to the Suzuki website look up the part numbers and cross reference them against 90% of Suzukis models....
No, I typed because I knew some know-it-all a$$hole like you would respond. Much simpler and more entertaining then looking stuff up. Besides, Part numbers are part numbers, they are NOT parts. Suzuki makes a wicked fast motorcycle, BUTT, quality control is the worst of any Jap manufacturer.:fedup

Since you like looking stuff up. look up parts on 2 different bikes that you know will swap out bolt to bolt and see if they don't have different part numbers. Most electrical parts will be interchanagable, as will some rotors, pads, turn indicators, etc.:kiss

Suzuki, first at the track, last on the showroom floor.:bored

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I saw something from a US Suzuki dealer on my facebook news feed about an upcoming brake master cylinder recall for GSXRs '04-13. I was waiting for the actual tech bulletin to come out before posting about it.

All new or Used 2004* thru 2013 GSXR models
1000 2005-2013
750 2004-2013
600 2004-2013

Suzuki Motor Corporation has instituted a safety recall campaign to replace the front brake master cylinder. The brake
piston inside the front brake master cylinder of some motorcycles may not have received adequate surface treatment to
prevent corrosion. Corrosion of the brake piston generates gas, which may not be adequately purged from the master
cylinder due to the side position location of the reservoir return port. To ensure customer safety and satisfaction, dealers
will replace the front brake master cylinder and brake fluid.

Technical Service Bulletin:
Servicing information regarding this safety recall will be available in a Technical Service Bulletin the week of
October 28, 2013.

Parts Availability:
Dealers will be able to order the necessary parts to perform this recall campaign beginning approximately the week of
November 4, 2013. Adequate supplies of parts will be available at that time to ensure your ability to service all your
affected units. Your dealership may immediately resume retail sales once the recall campaign is completed.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Depends. I was in a hurry and that was the shortest distance between two points.
Not sure about Suzuki, but some manufacturers include a vehicle ID code in the part number. XXYYYXX-NNNNN where Y is the bike and N is the actual part number. So the same part (lets say a 310mm front Disk rotor) would be 1299967-89012 on one model and 1233367-898012 on a different model that also used a 310mm front rotor. A good parts guy would know that the 999 meant it went on a Thunderbutt Road Ripper and the 333 went on a Parking Lot Pleaser. Nothing the loose nut behind the controls needs to know. I didn't have time to get into explaining it and what's his face prolly didn't care.
I was verbally assaulted, which I felt was undeserved. When pushed I push back.
Should I get into the management and marketing theories of why this is done? Slow day here. House work is caught up and it is too cold to enjoy a powerful machine between my thighs and an open road. Maybe this afternoon.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Depends. I was in a hurry and that was the shortest distance between two points.
Not sure about Suzuki, but some manufacturers include a vehicle ID code in the part number. XXYYYXX-NNNNN where Y is the bike and N is the actual part number. So the same part (lets say a 310mm front Disk rotor) would be 1299967-89012 on one model and 1233367-898012 on a different model that also used a 310mm front rotor. A good parts guy would know that the 999 meant it went on a Thunderbutt Road Ripper and the 333 went on a Parking Lot Pleaser. Nothing the loose nut behind the controls needs to know. I didn't have time to get into explaining it and what's his face prolly didn't care.
I was verbally assaulted, which I felt was undeserved. When pushed I push back.
Should I get into the management and marketing theories of why this is done? Slow day here. House work is caught up and it is too cold to enjoy a powerful machine between my thighs and an open road. Maybe this afternoon.

your argument is pointless as they are unique items. all it takes is 30 seconds in google images to know the bandit has a traditional coffin style MC and as would expect, the gsxr is a radial.

feel free to ramble on about patterns in part#'s all you want though, i'm sure everyone else is completely enthralled.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I saw something from a US Suzuki dealer on my facebook news feed about an upcoming brake master cylinder recall for GSXRs '04-13. I was waiting for the actual tech bulletin to come out before posting about it.

All new or Used 2004* thru 2013 GSXR models
1000 2005-2013
750 2004-2013
600 2004-2013

Suzuki Motor Corporation has instituted a safety recall campaign to replace the front brake master cylinder. The brake
piston inside the front brake master cylinder of some motorcycles may not have received adequate surface treatment to
prevent corrosion. Corrosion of the brake piston generates gas, which may not be adequately purged from the master
cylinder due to the side position location of the reservoir return port. To ensure customer safety and satisfaction, dealers
will replace the front brake master cylinder and brake fluid.

Technical Service Bulletin:
Servicing information regarding this safety recall will be available in a Technical Service Bulletin the week of
October 28, 2013.

Parts Availability:
Dealers will be able to order the necessary parts to perform this recall campaign beginning approximately the week of
November 4, 2013. Adequate supplies of parts will be available at that time to ensure your ability to service all your
affected units. Your dealership may immediately resume retail sales once the recall campaign is completed.

Is this the official Tech Bulletin?

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
So, to get back to this, I got the recall notice late last year, and finally got my bike in this weekend to have the work done. I don't think my bike was in any danger of experiencing the issue that resulted in this recall, since the brake fluid has been changed often enough. But as long as they want to do it, why not. And I got a free brake fluid change out of it, which is convenient since it was coming up on the time to do it anyway.

Thanks Suzuki! :gsxr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts