Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding an F4i for the past few years & have gotten the green flag from the boss to start looking for a new bike. I rode a friend's '07 GSXR 750 this past week & of course, was thouroughly impressed. I took a short trip to the Suzuki / Yamaha dealer & he only had one left for almost $10.1k. He also had one '06 1k left. He was trying really hard to sell it to me. It was priced @ $9,995 I think. Not too bad for a brand new 1k I thought. But he told me if I would take it off his hands he'd sell it to me for $9k right then! WOW huh? Now, I also have been eyeing an '06 1000RR @ the Honda shop. The yellow & blue one for $9,995. I like this bike very much as far as the looks go. I was not into the paint scheme on the Gixxer as much. I could probably get the 1000RR for the $9k price as well. Well, actually, my question is: Would it be a wiser decision to just buy a liter bike & not bother w/ the 750? I have read somewhere that the GSXR 750 is the perfect SS bike for the street. The salesman told me that I would be growing out of the 750 as well eventually & would want to go w/ a liter bike. I know, I know he's trying to sell a motorcycle, but, I am just trying to decide if I should just get a 1000 or stick w/ a 750. Oh, & before I left, he said, "if you really want the 750, what if I could get you on it for $9k???" What do you all think? I would like to hear opinions. I ride to work, go to bike nights, group rides, rides w/ just me & my girl, & everywhere I do not have to load up the family to go. Not any track days or any thing.

RR

·
_McLovin_
243 Posts
Get the 750, you will never use the full amount of power the 1000 offers on the street. The 750 is the perfect bike for street and track and has one of the best stock suspensions on the market.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
I'd go with the 750 because I'd at least like to use 5 out of 6 gears on the street. Insurance rates are cheaper too. A 750 is certainly more responsible than a 1000.

Fuck it--get the 1000.

·
I Terrorize Cagers
567 Posts
First off, that salesman is full of shit. You will never grow out of the 750 if you get it because it's fast as hell. However, still go with the 1000, BUT DO NOT GET IT FROM THAT DEALERSHIP. That 2006 gsxr 1000 and 06 cbr 1000 can be found for cheaper if you shop around. The salesman was saying prices in the 9k range to draw you in, BUT THAT'S NOT THE OUT THE DOOR PRICE I BET. Don't screw yourself over. If you go back to that dealership, tell him you want one of those bikes for no more than 10,000 out the door. Be firm about this, and walk if he can't get you that deal. If you shop around, a deal like that can be found.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was faced with the same decision just last weekend. The dealer had a bunch of 07 gixxer 1k's in the yellow and grey scheme and he was letting them go for $9999. But my wife and I were looking at the 750 and leaning towards that. He was saying he would get me out the door for only 200 more than the price of the 750 out the door. But in the end I still went with the 750. I owned a 2002 R1 as my last bike and that was a great bike, but just too much power for the streets. I have only put 330 miles on the 750 so far in the week I have had it, but I like it so far and it's great on the streets. My buddy owns a red and black 06 1k gixxer and we swapped bikes on the way back from a group ride. His bike is really fast and was really easy to ride on the highway, but in the city you probably can't get it out of second gear before you hit a light. 750 has more than enough power to keep up with just about any bike and plenty of usable power in the city. I say go for the 750.

·
Registered
142 Posts
1000 all the way

aright before I starte to get blazed on here for telling you to get the 1000 the 750 is a awsome bike but for the price the 1000 is the way to go more bang for your bike,What other machine can you buy for 10000 bucks will do under a 10 second quarter mile :lol

·
Gixxer Nerd
221 Posts
I had the same situation. Got the 1K for $10,200 otd last year on April. They wanted $11 k for the 750. After 15 months and 13,000 miles on this bike I would say GET IT!. You will use the power by at least not having to constantly shift because the torque is always there. A liter bike is a matter of taste, your own. If you have moderate skills and a thinking head above your shoulders you should be just fine.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I realize you are talking about a K6 but don't forget the '07 GSXR1000's have that 3 way mapping device, the lowest setting supposedly feels like a torquey 600. Its almost like having 3 bikes in one. I'm gonna have the same quandary in a couple of months. I was lusting for a 1000 or the 750 but after spending alot of seat time on on RC51, where in the world am I ever gonna be able to use that kind of power?? Heck the roads around here were a joke to my RC, I never got out of 3rd gear. I'm leaning towards a '07 CBR 600rr.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Since you don't plan on doing trackdays or anything, I'd say go for the 1000.

That extra torque can make for a very fun street ride.

Actually, it's not like even a 600 lacks torque for street riding. I say keep your bike. But if you really want one of the new ones just get whichever one is cheaper. For just street riding you're never going to use all the power of either, so see which the dealer will be willing to go lower on.

Check out insurance on both also.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
TS80 said:

Actually, it's not like even a 600 lacks torque for street riding. I say keep your bike. But if you really want one of the new ones just get whichever one is cheaper. For just street riding you're never going to use all the power of either, so see which the dealer will be willing to go lower on.

+ .75 :cheers

i agree, the 600 is more than enough for street riding and the newer 600's are great for both street and track.

if you really want a new bike, get the 750. your views on track days could change and the 750 is awesome on the track.

jk750 said:
never believe a salesman
+1

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
LiquidRC51 said:
Get the 750, you will never use the full amount of power the 1000 offers on the street. The 750 is the perfect bike for street and track and has one of the best stock suspensions on the market.

Tell me....what bike can he use full amount of power on?

·
I beat air to submission
673 Posts
I'm thinking about selling my 1000 for a 750. I would rather have a less expensive/ better trackday machine vs the 1000. You will see that people on 600's that know what they are doing can hang with 1000 riders of similar ability/experience on a track... only giving up a little bit down the straights because they can enter and exit a corner slightly better and with less worry. I have had wheel spin after coming out of a corner at 120 mph... right in front of a guy on a 750 that was right at my back wheel. I was getting froggy and got complacent.

That's cool to see and all, but it can be a pain in the ass and it can cause you to get frustrated because it's an extra thing to worry about at high speed... I just have to have a lot more throttle modulation for a longer time vs the 750 or 600 rider that's right there basically keeping up with me. (as in... the 600's and 750's will exploit the limits of race compound tires just fine). If the straights were to continue for a lot longer... then the GSX-R 1000 bike dominates and will reel in the next guy. That can be fun, but sometimes I just want to pin the throttle earlier like I could when I rode a 600... so to me a 750 would be perfect. The competition is more fun.

I also feel that the insurance and monthly payments just aren't worth it to me for a 1000. Face it, a 750 and 1000 are both wickedly fast bikes. A 750 will out accellerate a 1000 cc twin. A current model 750 also has the power of an old YZF-R1... like my old '98 R1. So really, that kind of power is plenty. If you decide to buy a 1000, I'll sell you mine.:p

·
Banned
244 Posts
TS80 said:

+1 Rode a 2006 750 thursday and was unimpressed with its lack of torque below 8k in any gear but first. Kinda guress i was expecting more low down oomph. The top end hit is really good but just doesn't have anywhere near the top gear roll on thought it would. My bosses 07 GSXR1k makes the 750 seem like a tricycle if both bikes were below 8k RPM. However after 8k RPM the 750 is like a rocket WTFO and the 1k is next to uncontrolable. Its unreal the power past 140 this thing has. I usually say if u keep the Revs up a 600,750 and 1000 are pretty much equally fast on the street below 100 but the tall 2nd gear of the 750 made it a bit of a chore 2 ride in traffic below 30 mph. If ur in the power band of second gear chances are ur exceeding the speed limit by quite a bit.
Everyone says u can't use the full power of a 1000 on the street but then again as far as cornering is concerned u shouldn't be anywhere near any modern bikes cornering limits with oil spots,gravel and the such. Not everyone wants 2 smack off gaurdrails or slide under cars being motogp racers on the street. The torque and the ability to use first up to about 45 without rattling ur hands numb were some big advanages i saw on the 1k. The ability 2 stick it into 2nd and never shift from 10mph-highway speed. At legal speed limits on the 1k the last 4 gears are like overdrives.:lol :lol

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
ZxHunteR said:
Tell me....what bike can he use full amount of power on?

+1 !

I see alot of threads/posts people want/need a bike with power so they want a 1000. To each there own but if your doing group rides , commuting , takin yer chick out and that's it what do you need all that for ? you wanna launch through traffic ? My bike slams my ass into my seat pretty damn quick in second gear at 7 rpms . Sorry I don;t mean to sound like an ass but I just don't get it

·
Banned
244 Posts
bredebee said:
+1 !

I see alot of threads/posts people want/need a bike with power so they want a 1000. To each there own but if your doing group rides , commuting , takin yer chick out and that's it what do you need all that for ? you wanna launch through traffic ? My bike slams my ass into my seat pretty damn quick in second gear at 7 rpms . Sorry I don;t mean to sound like an ass but I just don't get it
Power and speed are very deceptive. For example if you drive 80 mph on the highway for 3 hours straight then have 2 go 40 mph on a road with no traffic lights thats wide open u will think ur doin 20. Try it. Just like if u ever blast up 2 180 and slow 2 120 its like sittin still @ 120 but ur still traveling 2 miles per minute. Ur mind just gets use 2 it. Same way i thought the Ninja 500 my boy had was fast as hell and anything else would be sheer suicide. Then i got a 600 and figured anything else was suicide,then a 750 and everything else is suicide then a 1000 V-twin. The 2007 GSX-R 1000 is suicide though.:lol :lol U ever ride that thing the power is unreal.:phatyo

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
My bike has plenty of everything for me and alot left over i'll never use . One day I 'd really like to have an RC but I know I never buy it. I don;t need it and I'll , i think that stuff is more for image to most people . I guess I don't think that way so that why I don't get it

1 - 20 of 61 Posts