Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

recently i've been running my bike and the temp is reading at close to 220 F. Is that normal or should i get my bike checked out? if it isn't normal, what are some possible causes?

thanks

·
Registered
966 Posts
suprthug8d said:
hi all,

recently i've been running my bike and the temp is reading at close to 220 F. Is that normal or should i get my bike checked out? if it isn't normal, what are some possible causes?

thanks

Yea I think your engine is about to blow up :squid and I think you need to give the bike to me. No its fine, its just running hot, alot of stop and go traffic will cause this, but if your on the freeway and its running that hot you might have a problem. Your fan should kick on and hold it at 220 degrees or so, if it get above 235 degress then you have something to worry about. Check you manule and that will tell you what your operating temps should be around. If your realy worried check the cooland levels, and some people change out to water wetter durring the summer months and change back to coolant durring winter.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it my gsxr750 would hit the low 220's quite often in traffic but if the fan does not come on then you have a problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my 03 rarely gets above 225 in stop and go traffic here in tampa... you should be normal..

like they said, if its that hot on the highway or gets much hotter than that, you might have a problem

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Mine gets up to 219-220 in stop & go traffic during the day. During bike week this year my cooling fan switch went bad though. I didn't notice the temp going up until we stopped for gas and the damn thing wouldn't start again until it cooled off. :bitchslap

Fortunately I had MacGyver with me, he wired my fan to stay on all the time so I could drive it home. (that may not seem like a big deal to the rest of you MacGyvers, but I couldn't have done it.)

·
Registered
402 Posts
acalliste said:
Mine gets up to 219-220 in stop & go traffic during the day. During bike week this year my cooling fan switch went bad though. I didn't notice the temp going up until we stopped for gas and the damn thing wouldn't start again until it cooled off. :bitchslap

Fortunately I had MacGyver with me, he wired my fan to stay on all the time so I could drive it home. (that may not seem like a big deal to the rest of you MacGyvers, but I couldn't have done it.)

I would have unplugged your horn, and hooked it up to your horn button. any rate, at least you got it home!

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
lun said:
I would have unplugged your horn, and hooked it up to your horn button. any rate, at least you got it home!
Well then, consider this your invitation to follow me around in case anything else breaks :D

So far I've had the fan switch go out and the right switch assembly (on the clip-on) freak out so sometimes the starter button didn't work or sometimes, oddly enough, the headlight wouldn't come on - unless you fiddle with the starter button. It was all replaced under warranty, but was a royal pain in the ass while it was happening. While the right switch assembly was being replaced, the tech came out and told me now the tail light wouldn't work when the rear brake lever was pressed, but he ended up fixing it before I left.
My bike is like a high maintenance girlfriend. But I love her anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Overheating

I know that gixxers usually run hot. I have an '07 600 that typically runs up to as high as 225 in traffic in the middle of summer when it's 115 out and I'm stuck in traffic. I've had some issues with my bike lately. About 6 weeks ago my seal on my water pump went and I gushed oil out big time and almost laid my bike down infront of oncoming traffic. Long story short I fixed it (bought a water pump on ebay). The leak was no more, the Impeller fan spins just fine on my new pump. Now (not sure if it's coincidence) after fixing the leak with a new water pump, my bike is overheating. Yeah, yeah, I made sure the new impeller fan SPINS and the radiator is full of new fluids. I can run the bike at 130 MPH on the freeway and it stays around 190-200 (which is hotter than normal for me on the FWY). At full stop the bike approached 260... Once moving again it dropped down to 220-230's. The only variable here is that I have changed the water pump. The radiator electric fan is spinning full time and we aren't seeing a difference. I can only come up with a thermostat issue (seems unlikely) or some kind of issue with moving the radiator fluid in the bike... Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
you're fine... if it's really overheating it will shut off.

You're looking at a number over 240 before that should happen though.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I know that gixxers usually run hot. I have an '07 600 that typically runs up to as high as 225 in traffic in the middle of summer when it's 115 out and I'm stuck in traffic. I've had some issues with my bike lately. About 6 weeks ago my seal on my water pump went and I gushed oil out big time and almost laid my bike down infront of oncoming traffic. Long story short I fixed it (bought a water pump on ebay). The leak was no more, the Impeller fan spins just fine on my new pump. Now (not sure if it's coincidence) after fixing the leak with a new water pump, my bike is overheating. Yeah, yeah, I made sure the new impeller fan SPINS and the radiator is full of new fluids. I can run the bike at 130 MPH on the freeway and it stays around 190-200 (which is hotter than normal for me on the FWY). At full stop the bike approached 260... Once moving again it dropped down to 220-230's. The only variable here is that I have changed the water pump. The radiator electric fan is spinning full time and we aren't seeing a difference. I can only come up with a thermostat issue (seems unlikely) or some kind of issue with moving the radiator fluid in the bike... Thoughts?
Air trapped in the cooling system but if you in fact have reached 260F, there is a good chance you have damaged the engine. Damage starts to occur at 248F but it's odd that the bike didn't cut-off. Download a copy of the service manual and get to "burping" the cooling system.

Service manuals for Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.